Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some work on my 2002 (175000 mi) that necessitated removing the passenger side half shaft and intermediate shaft from the transmission. When I had everything back in and started it, the TCS, SRS and ABS lights stayed on. In addition my MIL light is also lit. The only thing I can think of is that I somehow damaged the wheel speed sensor although I can't think of how this would trigger the SRS or MIL lights. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While removing the lower control arm to replace the bushings , I acidentally pulled the inner cv joint tripod out of its housing and couldnt get it to go back in so I removed the half shaft and inter shaft so I could work on it.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Start by getting the CEL, ABS, and SRS codes. Troubleshoot them as individual problems. Check everywhere you were while working for connectors you may have pulled loose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an OBDII code reader and no malfunction codes came up. How do I get the codes for the ABS and TCS? What is the CEL?
I cleared the MIL code (transmission) and it hasn't come back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I believe that MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) and CEL (Check Engine Light) could well be the exact same thing. In pulling the wheel bearing assembly away from the vehicle to clear that shaft end, you could very well have damaged or dislodged the wheel speed sensor or its cable. I don't take each and every alarm seriously when multiples show up. There is often a single issue. For instance, my P0740 (transmission torque converter lock-up) code will throw BOTH the CEL and the TCS when it comes on. There is no TCS issue. It is merely signifying "new code just received". The TCS resets when you shut down but the CEL does not. It will eventually reset if the condition goes away for a minimum of 50 miles but the TCS comes on each time the code is thrown, even if the CEL is always on. It's kind of a good thing in that you can think about exactly what is going on (what speed of vehicle, RPM's) when it comes on without having to reset the CEL for every run. What I'm getting at is the airbag could be lighting up because the ABS did, not necessarily because there is an ABS fault. A failed alternator seems to light a heck of a lot of lamps besides the charging indicator, for instance, most unrelated to the problem.

Another thought, gentlemen. I bought my '01 in March and mistakenly got the emissions inspection done (greater metro Atlanta requirement). My tags are just NOW due for updating and a clean emissions is required. Since I hadn't used that March certificate, I HAD a clean emissions, even though the numerous P0740 alarms would have made it very difficult to pass today. My suggestion: If your vehicle is known to have CEL type issues, get the test done during happy days and avoid the panic'd troubleshooting when it has to be done in just weeks or even days. In Georgia, it is good for one year or until used for a tag purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts