Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 EX-L w/ RES, 92,000 miles.

I am having trouble starting the van. It always starts, but takes 5+ seconds. I don't like holding the ignition down that long, so I'll try once for a couple seconds and it will start right up on the second attempt.

I always have the radio on and A/C set to AUTO. I've noticed that if I turn off the A/C before starting it starts up easier.

I had a mechanic check the battery and he said the voltage was fine. Would a dead cell show in a voltage test? Would a dead cell cause a slow start?

I noticed this after my battery died a month ago. It died while installing and testing my Parrot bluetooth kit. Jumped it and it hasn't died again. I mention this in case it is important.

Any ideas why?

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Does the engine crank at normal speed? This sounds like a fuel issue. Try turning the key to ON for two seconds before starting the engine. This will give the fuel system time to build pressure before the injectors open.

·
Registered
755 Posts
if its cranking slower than before, its the battery

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
davedrivesody said:
Does the engine crank at normal speed? This sounds like a fuel issue. Try turning the key to ON for two seconds before starting the engine. This will give the fuel system time to build pressure before the injectors open.
When it catches it seems to go to the correct idle speed, doesn't seem to be hesitant.

I'll try turning the key to ON, and let it sit a couple seconds before starting.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Okay. But I was asking about the cranking speed - those 5 seconds before the engine starts. As richysh posted above, a slow cranking speed could indicate a bad battery. However, even a slow-cranking engine should start quickly in summer if everything else is working well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Things to check would be oil, battery loose, spark plugs, air filter.

I'd check them in this order

1. air filter
2. battery(check connections first and make sure there is no corrosion)
3. oil 5w-30
4. spark plugs

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm betting on the corroded battery connections more than anything else. Get some baking soda, water and mix it together in a paper cup. Disconnect each battery cable connector one at a time and dip into the mix for 5-10 min. If you poor the baking soda directly onto the battery connections, do it on the street as it will stain your driveway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd ask. We just bought at 06 with only 54,000 miles on it, and noticed the same thing when starting.

The crank speed is normal, quick, and sharp - but it takes 3-5 seconds to finally start. It does not sound sluggish at all, it's just slow to "catch." If it's a fuel system issue like you stated, is turning the key to ON the only solution? That would seem like a workaround. What would be the problem beneath the problem? Bad gas? Clogged fuel injectors? Spark plugs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does it to do it every time or just when it's not warmed up? If you take a trip, turn off the van, then start it again, does it still take 3-5 seconds? If yes, then I doubt if it is fuel pressure, as the pressure would already be built up. We just purchased our 07 with 73,000 and I noticed it takes longer to start than our other vehicles, but nowhere near 3-5 seconds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
And if no, then it may be a fuel pressure issue? In which case, is this just a known issue with Odysseys? Or is it something that needs to be fixed or replaced?

I've not observed carefully enough if it only starts slow when cold, or if it is better when warm. I'll pay attention to that later today and see which is the case.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
If it's a fuel system issue like you stated, is turning the key to ON the only solution? That would seem like a workaround.
Turning the key ON for a few seconds is only a diagnostic strategy, not a cure. If it solves the problem, the cause could be a weak fuel pump (low pressure), or a bad fuel pressure regulator (not holding pressure in the fuel rails).

Another diagnostic is to press the gas pedal a little while cranking. If that works, the cause could be the idle air control valve (blocked) or a dirty throttle body (choking off the air supply).

If the slow start happens only when hot, the cause could be the engine coolant temperature sensor (giving a cold reading when hot so the PCM calls for too much fuel that floods the engine).

Other causes of a slow start are dirty fuel injectors (insufficient fuel flow) or worn spark plugs, as you already mentioned. Bad gas cannot be ruled out; fuel up at a top tier station.

Lastly, always listen for the fuel pump when you turn the key on. If you don't hear it, the main FI relay could be flaky or the immobilizer is wrongly blocking fuel delivery.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Super helpful, thanks Dave! This gives me a plan of attack. I'll report back what I find regarding cold vs. hot starts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, I've been paying close attention over the last 24 hours. It starts much quicker after a recent trip. It was super slow to start yesterday after sitting for just 2 hours.

This morning, at 40 degrees and sitting all night, I turned the key to ON for 5 seconds before starting. It started up quickly!

So, this points to what? Weak fuel pump? What are he possible most likely to least likely culprits, now knowing his new information? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My o8 has same issue of slow to catch after sitting 2 or so hrs. (cranking speed normal) turning key on and waiting 3 sec. is my work around. (Problem of longer crank time started after fuel pump recall)
Dealer has yet been unable to replicate my observations so I have been watching it for last two yrs.
Will try again with dealer as I believe pressure drops while car off and system needs ~ 2 sec to come up to pressure.
Dealer is a Hendrick Honda dealer and has been very good to me.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Yes, they need to test the fuel pressure in the fuel rail. If it drops after engine shutdown, the problem could be in the fuel delivery or a leaky injector.

Getting ahead of myself, but the main relay is also suspect. It's known to fail intermittently, especially when the interior of the van is hot. It's possible that the ON circuit in the relay is okay, but not the START circuit.

Do you park in the sun, after which the van is hard to start?

Dave

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
My o8 has same issue of slow to catch after sitting 2 or so hrs. (cranking speed normal) turning key on and waiting 3 sec. is my work around. (Problem of longer crank time started after fuel pump recall)
Dealer has yet been unable to replicate my observations so I have been watching it for last two yrs.
Will try again with dealer as I believe pressure drops while car off and system needs ~ 2 sec to come up to pressure.
Dealer is a Hendrick Honda dealer and has been very good to me.
If this started happening immediately after the fuel pump recall that's where I'd start. The entire fuel pump assembly had to be removed and the upper portion replaced. Either something broke or something didn't go back together properly. I agree with checking pressure in the fuel rail and watching for a loss in pressure while it's sitting. The key on runs the pump for a few seconds to prime the system. It sounds like it's leaking back through the fuel pump check valve. I'd want it removed again and inspected for leaks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fuel filter is usually easier/cheaper than a fuel pump... If the fuel filter has never been changed, well then its probably time :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2006 Touring with 99K miles on it and have the exact same issue. I haven't pinpointed if it is a hot start or long time between start issue because it is my wife's van. Has anyone successfully fixed this and determined the cause/part number fix? Out engine cranks fine with great speed but you have to crank it for 3 sec or so before it will catch and start up. I'm going to try Dave's suggestions and see if there is any feedback from others who finally found the hard to start problem. On a second note, and I don't think related, my wife couldn't get the van to even turn over the other day and after getting the little crimp connector back on tight at the starter and testing the electrical with a multimeter I found that a few hits with a hammer on the starter freed up the spring and it started right up! So I think this is a different, on going issue and the other was a fluke spring problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts