Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Trouble, Slow Start

53K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  LoganH 
Does the engine crank at normal speed? This sounds like a fuel issue. Try turning the key to ON for two seconds before starting the engine. This will give the fuel system time to build pressure before the injectors open.
I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd ask. We just bought at 06 with only 54,000 miles on it, and noticed the same thing when starting.

The crank speed is normal, quick, and sharp - but it takes 3-5 seconds to finally start. It does not sound sluggish at all, it's just slow to "catch." If it's a fuel system issue like you stated, is turning the key to ON the only solution? That would seem like a workaround. What would be the problem beneath the problem? Bad gas? Clogged fuel injectors? Spark plugs?

Thanks!

And if no, then it may be a fuel pressure issue? In which case, is this just a known issue with Odysseys? Or is it something that needs to be fixed or replaced?

I've not observed carefully enough if it only starts slow when cold, or if it is better when warm. I'll pay attention to that later today and see which is the case.

Ok, I've been paying close attention over the last 24 hours. It starts much quicker after a recent trip. It was super slow to start yesterday after sitting for just 2 hours.

This morning, at 40 degrees and sitting all night, I turned the key to ON for 5 seconds before starting. It started up quickly!

So, this points to what? Weak fuel pump? What are he possible most likely to least likely culprits, now knowing his new information? Thanks for all the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.