Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler (Mini Max) TOTAL $98[/FONT]

Bulkpart transmission parts

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Hi everyone. Newbie<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Just ordered this cooler for my 05EX_L

I will post pics and write up soon.

My question is location of the cooler.. I am planning on mounting it across the of the top bumper opening... Will i have a problem with pressure drop?? or the AT have enough pressure to push fluid????

If not i will mount it at the bottom..

I DID PLENTY OF SEARCHES AND NO ONE TALKS ABOUT THE PRESSURE OF THE TRANNY fluid path to the coolers >>>>>>>>>>>>>

have a great day :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a somewhat similar cooler, mounted at the top of the radiator -- that looked like it would get the max air flow through the grill -- that was some 5 years and 45K miles ago. (also on a 05 EX-L) I've not experienced any trouble, nor have I read of any issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a somewhat similar cooler, mounted at the top of the radiator -- that looked like it would get the max air flow through the grill -- that was some 5 years and 45K miles ago. (also on a 05 EX-L) I've not experienced any trouble, nor have I read of any issues.
thanx for the quick reply... I doubt there will be issues mounting it at the top since 3/8" hose and fitting plenty of flow..

STAY TUNED_______________________________________________

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wrote on this forum that the ATF pump is a constant dispacement pump powered by the engine...

It can provide enough pressure, don't worry!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have read of others placing the coolers near the top as well. That is what I plan to do with mine when I do it in a few months.

BB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
While the front bumper has to come out for the Cooler install in decided to purchase fog lights too. ATF. Inline Filter. Oil change and Tranny Flush.

more pics of all the parts..

bumper pic

cooler position

custom bracket cooler holder
i use flat aluminum approx. 1" bar @ Home Depot

side view

after the fluid goes into the radiator i use this return line to as an outlet for my cooler inlet..

3/8 hose fits perfect...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jacking the car up from the driver side also help to drain the fluid.

in order to drill hole in the cross front member you are going to need a serious drill.. here is mine

filler for tranny flush 3/8 hose fits perfect. secured by electrical tape.

battery tray remove to change ATF see the bolts holes

mounted

atf filter piece of cake remove battery . battery tray.. air box

there it is

old filter lil chips real filthy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Now that you have had this on the van for a few months, any problems?

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Here's the big MAX on our 2002 EX. It is truly overkill for regular driving. I will eventually run instrumentation & see if it's doing the job for towing. I'm getting ready to fit one to my 2003 EX in the next month or so.

Plenty of flow through it. Knowing what I know now, I'd say the Tru-Cool 4544 or the Tru-Cool Mini-max 4920 are perfect for these vans.

OF

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is this the best tranny cooler to install?

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Motsy, I think the Tru Cool MAX I fitted in the above post is just a little too big. It was the biggest pain for me to make it fit due to core thickness and overall frontal area dimensions. That little silver thing sitting on the bumper bar, underneath driver's side headlight, is a MOCAL OT1 thermostat. It's a necessity with a cooler this big on very cold days.

The Tru Cool 4544 seems to be the way to go:

Happy users on this forum, not difficult to install, does not over-cool ATF during cool weather driving in winter, great price. Win, win, win. I think it's perfectly sized for the Gen 2 Odys.

OF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts