Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience good or bad on the ethics of the Honda service departments. I recently took my 2006 Odyssey in for a $39.95 - $5 coupon oil change and when I got it back, the a/c relay switch was bad. It might be a coincidence. It's an easy thing to replace, but a bitch to figure out, so my mind is playing games with me "Did someone swap out the relay for a bad one to get me to come back and get more expensive work done?" I bought my Odyssey there and have had most service work done there, so am really bothered by my thinking and maybe I'm just paranoid. Also, the normal X-pt check up or inspection wasn't documented and I also had to have a bad cell battery (or might just be old) battery replaced shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't think a dealer would intentionally sabotage unrelated parts on your vehicle to get you to come back for more repairs, for the simple reason that if they are ever caught, it would be liability and publicity nightmare!

Having said that though, if new issues occur in the general area where they worked, I wouldn't be surprised if they inadvertently disturbed/damaged a nearby unrelated item causing premature failure. Sometimes when things are bumped and/or stressed somehow like when they push things around to get to other things in the engine compartment or when they have to disconnect something, it could cause something to fail that otherwise would still be fine had it been untouched.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I've had generally good experience with my dealer service department. I still use them for the big stuff. I figure they know best how to do the work without wrecking anything in the process.

However, each dealership is independently owned and managed. So it's impossible to judge the ethics of one based on experience with another.

IIRC the stats say that customers are happiest with the work of independent shops (i.e. not dealer service departments).

Dave

·
Registered
828 Posts
I had a friend who was a service advisor at a new car dealership. Their job was to write up why you were there/wanted done, and to up sell anything else he could add onto the order. But swapping out relays - No way at his dealership!!!

But I will be the first to admit that I had a Ford dealership mess up a relay so it would not work after I left their shop. It kept me coming back trying to get that darn convertible top to function properly. I finally found that piece of tin foil stuck down in there, and once removed, the top never gave me a bit of problem again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it really depennds on the dealership. I would hope they would not do that, but I would not put it past some people. I've had good luck with one local dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts