Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first Honda Odyssey, and I'm really stuck on which one to buy. We have two that we are strongly considering, both from Honda dealerships.

The first one I found it kind of my dream van...its a 2006 EX-L in Redrock Pearl (my favorite Odyssey color ever, and I love the idea of leather, especially with two toddlers) It has 58K miles on it and is Honda Certified. They are asking 18,900 for it. It has a clean carfax and impeccable service records...it was bought and cared for right at the dealership where they are currently selling it and all service records are available. The biggest problem with this one is that its 6 hours away from here. I'm actually going that way anyways next week, so its not out of my way, but I basically have to decide sight unseen. I can back out, but it would be a hassle, and I will have let the other van get away from me more than likely.

The second one is right here where I live and I have looked at it. It is a 2008 EX in the Dark Cherry Pearl color, and the big advantage of this one is that it only has 25K miles on it. They are asking 19,999...so only 1100 more. And due to the fact that they are willing to offer $500 more for our trade and charging $300 less for the doc fee, its almost the same price. This van is an off lease vehicle, and no service records are available. It seems to be in great condition...but isn't Honda Certified.....but according to the manager easily could be, but it would add another $800 to the price.

I guess I kind of would rather have the first one, but the practical side of me just doesn't think that makes sense...this other one appears to be such a great deal with such low mileage, and I'm not taking any risks. I guess I worry that I might show up and the carpet might be filthy or the van might smell badly on the other one (both things I've found in used cars.) The salesman on the phone seems to think its in great shape....but how do I know if he's just trying to make a sale? Also, the logistics of buying local would just be easier. Does anyone have any great advice concerning this? I have heard that the 2006 Odysseys were a great year mechanically...do any of you think they are better and more reliable than 2008's or vice versa? I guess the most important thing is for me to have a car for my family that will be the most reliable for us and last us a long time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought a 2005 Touring with 74k miles... probably paid too much, but it's got just about everything you could want in it. Black leather, everything looked like new... and it's already been de-paxed... ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I suggest you buy a Honda-certified car if you could afford that.
When I bought my van, the dealer said he could drop $500 by removing the Honda certification.

I suggest buying local (or within 1 hour driving) for the following reasons:

a) A used auto usually have cosmetic blemishes (interior or exterior).
Dealers promise to fix the cosmetic blemishes but you have to bring the car back to the dealers.

b) If you are really unhappy with the just-bought car and the dealer could not do anything within reasons to change your mind, some dealers allow you to return the just-bought car within a few days (2) or a few hundred miles (200) . If you live 6 hours away, 2 days or 200 miles is not long enough for you.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would go for the low mileage 2008 facelifted 3rd Gen.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
The 2008 has a beefier Ridgeline Tranny. I'd go for that one on that one piece of information alone.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I vote for the 2008. It is newer, half the miles, better looking wheels (IMHO), etc.. But, that price seems a little low to me. Is it at a Honda dealer? You say it is off lease, but there still ought to be maintenance records either in Honda's database, or by contacting the prior owner to find out what they had done to it. Maybe the glove box has the owner's manual with a name in it? Good luck with it. I would also have it inspected elsewhere because cars can be wrecked and it not show up on Carfax.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just looked at Autotrader and the carfax and since it has always been a NY car, it seems like you should have a good shot at contacting the prior owner. I would give that a try. Again, that seems like a good price, especially from a Honda dealer. And, that other dealer is too far away. You'll be on your own after you return home. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much. How could I go about contacting the former owner? Should I ask the dealership if they have the info?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks so much. How could I go about contacting the former owner? Should I ask the dealership if they have the info?
You just call the sales person and ask for phone # of previous owner.

I had done this recently on a 2009 Sienna and the previous owner was more than happy to tell me about:
- how the car was maintained (all by Toyota dealer)
- how he ran the car's front wheels over the curb (dealer didn't know about it)
- how another car scratched the rear bumper and the selling dealer buffed it away (you couldn't tell unless you were told where to look)
- how much money he received for trading in the Sienna for a high end GM SUV. This info is important b/c you now have some idea why the van was sold and about dealer's cost of the van.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Others will correct me if I'm wrong but if safety is a concern, the 2008 will have side curtian airbags and the 2006 won't.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Others will correct me if I'm wrong but if safety is a concern, the 2008 will have side curtian airbags and the 2006 won't.
All 3rd generation Odysseys have side curtain airbags.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My vote for the 2008 - better tranny, less miles. If the RES is a big deal go after market.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Leather is overrated with kids. Amazon sells seat covers that fit perfectly on the rear for about $20.

I would go with the 2008, you may or may not want to spend the extra $800 to certify it, but this will buy you the 100k mile warranty, so look at the cost as a warranty cost and it makes more sense.

When you describe the 2006, you sound like a salesman :) I couldn't be that into it without having seen it and driven it.

Trust me, don't do the deal blind and in the long run, the color isn't all that important.

You need to test drive it and check it out yourself. I found body damage on a certified used ody in my area, it only had 20k miles on it and seemed like a great deal because it was certified. When I went to drive it, I saw it was a pig with makeup on it and ran for the door.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The newer the better... more technology upgrades.
I have a 2006 Touring package but it does not have the backup camera, GPS on the dash or a audio jack for an Ipod.

Maybe these things are geeky but they sure come in handy with the rapidly changing world.

If you get a model that had the pax system on it make sure you know what you are doing. I just had to depax and I was lucky compared to some of the stories I have read out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts