Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!!

I have just finished installing the Pioneer 1695'2 in the front of my 2002 Odyssey. But I have no luch with the rear's. The speakers do not fit. I temporarily place them in with only one screw holding each of them down. Has anybody here been succesful?

p.s. These speakers kick ass. Awesome bass!!!

------------------
Tony P.
2002 GG RES

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed some JL Audio 6" speakers in the rear locations on a 2002. You need to take the stock speaker to the store and look for one with a "universal mount" as part of the speaker itself with 3 screw locations that match the stock unit(no room for a mounting flange in the rear - the speaker will hit the grille). In addition to the JLs, I saw some kenwoods that would have worked too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by duyenanhusa:
Help!!!!!

I have just finished installing the Pioneer 1695'2 in the front of my 2002 Odyssey. But I have no luch with the rear's. The speakers do not fit. I temporarily place them in with only one screw holding each of them down. Has anybody here been succesful?

</font>

duyenanhusa: I want to do the same to my 2002. Did you have to cut anything out or modifiy the brackets to install the front speakers? Did you use the wiring harness from Best Buy?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the tips. I will try again to see if I can get 1695's in.

Vantastic, you need to cut the rain shield to get the 1695 to fit in the front. I only cut the vertical part of the shield and cut multiple 1/2 strips into the shield so that it flares out when I push the speaker in. To prevent water from getting through I applied a layer of rubber silcon over the top of the shield. Even when the shield flares out the rubber silicon still covers the gaps. Remember to wear gloves as this can get messy. This solution will give you the same horizontal water blockage or you can take the easy way out and cut another 1/2 inch or so into the shield.

As for the adaper you can get it from best buy, Metra Part #72-7800. I cut the adapter wires off on mine and solder it directly to the speaker for a sure connection, just remember to be consistent with the polarity.

These speakers are worth all the trouble!!!

Have fun and good luck!

------------------
Tony P.
2002 GG RES

·
Registered
46 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by duyenanhusa:

I have just finished installing the Pioneer 1695'2 in the front of my 2002 Odyssey.

</font>
I had read that the 2002 EX-RES featured improved speakers over previous models. Doesn't seem to be the case based on the continued upgrades.

How much of an improvement are the 1695's over the stock speakers? Is it easy to secure everything back the way it was without introducing new rattles?

[This message has been edited by htown (edited 03-11-2002).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Improvement is a relative term. From worse to bad is still crappy. For 80 bucks it's worth the money. You dont have to worry about rattling at all. I crank the volume up and everything is solid.

I would not worry too much about upgrading the rear speakers unless you can find away to seal up all the openings around it, you will not get much of an improvement. There are more holes around it then swiss cheese! What the heck was this engineer thinking????

Here is the link where I got mine 1695's.

http://www.discountave.net/tsa1pion652w.html

------------------
Tony P.
2002 GG RES

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by htown:
How much of an improvement are the 1695's over the stock speakers? Is it easy to secure everything back the way it was without introducing new rattles?
</font>
It depends really on your expectations. If you have a nice home system and are used to higher end sound, Pioneers may not be the way to go. If you wanna spend ~$80 on a set of speakers and improve the sound quality as much as possible, the 1695 is a good bang for the buck solution. The other Pioneers such as the 55 and 65 are probably gonna be better for those who want a more emphasized high end. Smooth however, they are not....

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with duyenanhusa regarding the rear speakers. I was really happy with the 1695's in the front, so I bought a pair for the back. Unfortunately they don't offer any bass in the back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just installed some JL Audio 6" speakers in the rear locations on a 2002. You need to take the stock speaker to the store and look for one with a "universal mount" as part of the speaker itself with 3 screw locations that match the stock unit(no room for a mounting flange in the rear - the speaker will hit the grille). In addition to the JLs, I saw some kenwoods that would have worked too.
Stonman,

can you give the exact JL model and how easily did it fit in the rear. How do these speakers sound? They sure are very expensive.

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts