Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about the TSA1661 speakers? A salesman told me that if the TSA1655 speakers fit then these will also.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have been researching options on the Pioneer website. They have apparently discontinued the two-way 1655 in favor of the new 3-way 1661 with the same mounting depth and at the same recommended price. Looks to have the same large cone and magnet as the 1655 but with the mid-range and tweeter from the 1665 that has the deeper large cone and magnet. They have another two-way with the shallow mounting depth, but at a significantly lower recommended price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried out the TSA1661 speaker last night in my 2002 EXL-RES. I installed it in the drivers side door only so that I could compare it to the original speaker in the passenger side. I was disappointed. The TSA1661 did not sound as good as the original speaker and definitely didn't have as much bass.

Guess the only way I am going to get more bass is to put in the subwoofer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike_C:
I tried out the TSA1661 speaker last night in my 2002 EXL-RES. I installed it in the drivers side door only so that I could compare it to the original speaker in the passenger side. I was disappointed. The TSA1661 did not sound as good as the original speaker and definitely didn't have as much bass.

Guess the only way I am going to get more bass is to put in the subwoofer.
</font>
Before you give up I suggest that you play with your bass and treble controls. I installed the 1695s and at first I was not sure if it was an improvement. But when I increased the bass and decreased the treble I got a sound which, while not perfect, was a major improvement over the stock speakers. The stock speakers did not respond well at all to a similar increase in the bass control. As you've already gone this far I suggest that you also mount the other speaker as bass has a way of cumulating.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would expect the 1695 and 1665 to provide more bass improvement than the 1655 or 1661. From what I am reading, the 1695 is a more accurate and smoother speaker overall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went over to Best Buy at lunch today. The salesman there told me that to get more bass I should try Cherwin Vega speakers. He said they generally have more bass that the Pioneer speakers.

Anybody agree with him??

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike_C:
I went over to Best Buy at lunch today. The salesman there told me that to get more bass I should try Cherwin Vega speakers. He said they generally have more bass that the Pioneer speakers.

Anybody agree with him??
</font>
Well, maybe sorta, if you are just looking for a little more SPL.....

I have experience with previous CV (Cerwin, not Cherwin, probably typo..) pro, home, and car audio. I was never impressed. At all. Their design philosophy in the past was about designing very efficient, ear screaming type speakers. I'm not very familiar with their current lineup, though have heard plenty of anecdotal stuff from CV owners claiming the "loudest boom" on the planet, etc...

How did they sound at BB, directly compared to the Pioneers? You need to first and foremost let your ears judge the differences....

My (educated) "guess" is they will probably sound very muddy and "single-tone" like on the low end, with alot of midrange emphasis and harshness on the high end.

That's not to say Pioneer or any other speaker is the "right" or even best solution for you either. For some people and certain tastes, I'm sure Cerwin Vega would be an excellent choice. Knowing that you drive a minivan makes me think you (and most people here) won't like the traditional CV sound.

My advice, demo and see. But if you are looking for clean sound I'd say CV is generally not the way to go. If you are really concerned about bass performance, add a subwoofer.

Just my 2 (or maybe 10) cents...

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
317 Posts
right you are Shin John, I have had CVs at home and they are great but as i got older i appreciated more than just the rubbling bass and now have B&Ws and missions. I tooo was never impressed with their automotive line but liked BA and a small northwest brand called Hart. Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts