Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice it was issued on November 25, 2010, less than a month ago.

I spoke with my local service manager on December 9 during oil change, complaining about low speed/parking lot power steering failure, he said he did not know anything about that, and recommended that I change power steering fluid to start with.
I suspect he probably already knew it is a pump failure that requires replacement with upgraded pump, 2 weeks after the issue date, but for whatever reason he choose not to discuss that with me.

The car is 2006 Odyssey EXL/entertaiment and it has 68k miles. I bought it this summer from my neighbor who has relocated oversea. They knew this steering failure problem but did not take action.

I spoke with American Honda this morning and the word is - it is up to the service manager to make any call.

I am not able to sqeeze out extra $2k without a job right now, so I want try my best to get something called 'good-will' repair.

Any suggestion is welcome

·
Registered
286 Posts
Even though it''s Honda defect, since your warranty expired long ago, it would be tough to get this fixed at no cost (as you already found out).

Let's try something else.

Explain to dealer you need help due to no job. Tell dealer you want to pay 50% and ask dealer to work with Honda on the other 50%.
If that doesn't work, step up and pay for parts or labor whichever is greater and ask dealer to work with Honda on the remaining cost.

Try above with other dealers in your locality.

Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I would tend to disagree with txn on this one. If you're asking for goodwill, you need to shoot for the whole coverage and negotiate your way down. Saying you'd pony up 50% upfront might not be a good idea. Sometimes, Honda picks up the whole tab. Other times you just pay labor and some other times, you pay a %age. If any of those equations are cheaper than 50%, the dealer might pocket the extra after getting a goodwill from Honda or they'd tell Honda and Honda will say OK 50% it is. In that case, OP loses money. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on TSB 10-076 repair

I had it diagnosed at the dealer - "Power steering pump is binding internally causing steering loss. Will need power steering pump and reservoir tank $612.32". I was not accurate about the cost.

Have had a total of 4 conversations with American Honda. The first lady asked me to take a hike and not to call back but I did anyway. The last guy by the name Steve said that the steering problem and failure could be caused by me accidentally running into curb or a wall thus American Honda cannot be responsible. I was almost convinced that I am the very first Odyssey owner ever complaining about power steering problem. Wow, they can certainly exceed Toyota in the other way.

While at the dealer, I saw another lady being advised about her power steering problem and heard the word binding.

I am starting to think this will one day end up in class action settlement.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Autozone carries "Duralast" brand PS Pump for $157; PN is 5760.
Anyone used this Duralast PS Pump before?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I cannot edit my message above, but also search for 56110-RGL-A03 version (instead of 56110-RGL-A02).

·
Registered
613 Posts
The price for replacing pump is really high, a private shop can do it for a lot less. Its right on top of the engine, not a hard repair - but they need to

use honda type PS fluid
get new tank, as the internal filter can clog and restrict fluid flow

Personally, my '06 gets a little stiff in parking lots if I really twist the wheel fast but I don't worry about it after changing both pump and tank. I used an Advance Auto pump FYI. Drove the same way afterwards, no change at all.

Scott

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
So, the bottom line with this thread is that: Live with the steering problem, is that correct?

It seems to me from reading these threads: the new PS Reservoir and PS Pump do NOT solve the problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So, the bottom line with this thread is that: Live with the steering problem, is that correct?

It seems to me from reading these threads: the new PS Reservoir and PS Pump do NOT solve the problem.
I can only speak for myself.
My 2008 Ody received the new tank (with white dot on top) and new pump.
Together, they solved the stiff steering problem.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well I replaced mine this fall and did not have anything to know if it was the updated part, I think it was what was in the Advance auto - likely the older style. Good to hear someone had luck with the new replacement part.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought my [email protected]

I just found the pump had part number 56110-RGL-A03, look relative new. (could be replaced by previous owner before)

I am not sure if 07 comes with 56110-RGL-A03 or 56110-RGL-A02?

but the reservior was still original (according to TSB A07-005)

the reservoir has been changed anyway, flush system twice, magnet inline filter installed today.

I will see how long this pump last.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey and we just found out about this bulletin, didn't get any email or notification. We are just outside the warranty, however the car is under 80k miles. What are my options >? has anyone had luck with Honda honoring this warranty? The delear says we have an issue with the power steering rack leaking and a little different from what is in the TSB. Any advice?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Based on my understanding the above TSB has nothing to do with a leaking rack so it would not be covered.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Do the diagnosis and, if needed, replace the powersteering pump.
I would recommend you starting a new thread describing your problem so members can post their suggestions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts