Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have just got my 2006 US odyssey back from having a power steering pump and resevoir replaced. For the record I have a US odyssey with the Power Steering Resivoir issue noted on the TSB. I was also starting to notice that the steering wheel was becoming difficult to turn at low RPMs.

In reviewing the service I was told that a "Canadian" pump was installed and I would be better off now... Just wonderng if this is true. I did some looking online but couldn't find anything to differentiate US from Canadian. I was also wondering if any other canadians have had to replace their Power Steering and if so how much did it cost.

Regards,

Crafty

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had mine replace in the US as well under the tsb. They didn't mention anything re Canadian vs US pump model. Was changed about a year ago but now the steering seems to be stiff again. May need to get it done again?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Monky:

Thanks for the reply. I had heard that some of the electronics on the US/CDN odysseys were different but I'm sceptical about the power steering. I know that in some cases the Canadian dealers claim there are different product numbers but I'm pretty sure that is just so that they can jack-up the prices here.

I say that because when I tried to depax and order the TPMS sensors here the stealership claimed the numbers are different but in the final analysis everything was the same except the prices. 400 for sensors in Canada 158 US from College Hills Honda in the US

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd like to make an appointment with the dealer here in Colorado, did you guys give them the TSB, and how much did you guys pay? Is it 50-50? thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sj2000:

Mine power steering was starting to get pretty bad. It was sometimes hard to turn the wheel at low RPMs...

When I took it to Honda here in Canada it was going to be 350-400 for resevoir replacement, umm no thanks. I was fortunate to have a GM warranty (we bought a trade in @ a local dealership) and they sent it to another Honda dealership for service turns out I needed a new pump (+ the TSB resevoir).

I know you can ask for the free TSB service from the service manager but considering we bought from a GM dealership I think we would be shown the door pretty quickly..

Regards,

Crafty

·
Registered
178 Posts
The TSB work I had done a year ago was free. I had 4 things done without any cost.

Interestingly enough, I had the recall brake plugs and judder sw update 2 done. They are doing these in Canada now due to the safety concerns but not regular tsb.

I am really nervous about the car now after the second update though. I think I have the judder now when I didn't have it before. Had the dealer road test but naturally couldn't replicate with the tech in the car. Will see what happens.

I read on the main judder thread there maybe a 3rd update available but only seen a few posts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Power Steering pump & reservoir

:mad: I've never used this forum before but I see others have had issues with power steering. Any help would be appreciated. My 2007 Odyssey (50K miles, purchased in North Carolina) had hard turning at low RPMs last spring (2010). In May I had the p/s pump replaced ($287) by a local mechanic. By July it was making noise again and the mechanic replaced the pump. Two weeks later while on vacation in New Hampshire, it again made noise. A local mechanic there replaced the pump again ($443). About four days and 200 miles later In Connecticut), the whole pump became dislodged and tore up the pump, pulley, belt, etc. I was towed to a local Honda Dealer where I was told the installation was done improperly and probably was unnecessary in the first place, since Honda issued notice to dealers that the P/S reservoir was not providing enough fluid to the pump, and the reservoir should be replaced. The effect of the original equipment reservoir is noise and hard turning. Full replacement and repair of all affected parts cost $1,063. Can anyone send me a related tsb or tell me if I have any recourse from Honda? The van has been running fine for the past month; however, $1,800 in repairs due a faulty reservoir seems unfair. Any advice, assistance, or copy of a tsb, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
RE: wcobelli

I have '06 and just got it, after a long trip across country the PS is making groaning noises. I have read here on problem and replaced the tank with the new model (has white dot on top) but it still makes a groan noise. I have asked two dealers about any covered repairs but was told na-da since it was not recall or powertrain. I'm going to replace with a pump from Advance auto this week. I am still getting power steering (its always been stiffer than my GM van, so I don't know better) but replacing the pump as I am tired of the noise and Advance had a special where you buy $100 and get a $50 credit. Pump cost was about $120.

·
Registered
9 Posts

:) Many, many thanks to "NewDad" and "Dirkdaddy" for the quick and informative reply! I will try for some after-the-fact "goodwill consideration" from Honda as mentioned in the tsb, since that was the costliest bill ($1,063, plus hotel). The first mechanic refunded his $287 charge, but I had to dispute the credit card charge on the second $441 bill. Dirkdaddy, if you can get a pump for $120, that's great. I was charged $146 and $321 (from the second mechanic and the dealer) for just the pump. The dealer told me there is a provision for an extra bolt when you replace the pump, which you should use. Also use loc-tite on the threads. That should prevent the whole assembly coming loose and destroying the belt assembly, as happened in my last case. Also, check to see if there is resistance when you try to turn the wheel in a parking lot or driveway; that was my first clue that something was wrong. The "groaning" came later. The tsb also recommends you drain and replace the fluid to get rid of the noise. I wish you the best; I think I finally resolved my problem. Thanks again to you both!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
The price I mentioned was after turning in my core.

If you are handy type, the PS pump is not hard to remove, just need exact fit socket extensions of all sizes as clearance is tight / and / or those ratchet box end types, etc. But the pump is on top of the engine, not hard.

·
Registered
9 Posts

:) Thanks for the info; however, after paying Honda a Grand, I hope I never have to do it myself!! :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
So in my case, I went to the dealership and they quoted me $557 to replace the PS pump, then I called honda directly, they would like to cover some of the cost, I ended up paying $284 and tax and new reservoir already included. And it's a big difference, I could park the car smoothly now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Power Steering pump

That's great, sj2000! I called Honda for some consideration. They said that because I did not take it to a dealer initially they would not even consider an allowance. I explained that this flaw in their engineering should have been disclosed to owners (rather than only an internal tsa), and also that the local dealer couldn't accommodate my repair for two weeks. It was to no avail, which disappoints me with Honda, since my last five vehicles have been Hondas. I've had no major prior issues with their work, other than their ridiculously high charges. So, in this case, it would have been better to bite the bullet and pay the dealer's exorbitant repair rate in the first place. In the long run, it probably would have saved me $700+ and a lot of headaches!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts