1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
I think the answer is in the specs. It says it fits a 98 or 99 Accord 3 liter J30 engine. Your gen 2 Ody has a 3.5 liter J35 engine. Compatibility seems a long shot.

·
Super Moderator
13,558 Posts
Not to mention, what are you going to do about the rather weak tranny?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just was curious if there was any turbo parts out there, and also with the tranny issue, i have a buddy that rebuilds trannys for a living so i would let him handle it for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can pretty much turbo charge anything if you can find a turbo manifold and turbo to fit under the hood. Also there would be a mountain of other things to address such as ECU, IC, piping, fuel delivery, down pipe - exhaust connections, sensors...etc. As far as a prepackaged kit I'm not too familiar that there's anything on the market. I know a few 3rd Gen TL owners have gone forced induction. You're better off doing what they did vs. buying a 900 ebay kit. I can tell you that $900 on any turbo kit is going to get you a box full of junk.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
well, last year i had a 97 dodge caravan with a 6g72 3.0L SOHC , the same motors used in the dodge stealth and mitsubishi 3000gt cars, except those cars have DOHC and the motor would not fit under my caravan hood so i built some exhaust manifolds log style and a turbo mount crosover pipe, basically everything was custom except the $1000 universal ebay turbo kit, i had to instal an MSD 6a ignition and an MSD boost control box to retard the timing under boost(MSD setup was $800), installed a piggyback fuel pump booster,had to port and polish the intake plenum for the extra air, also installed plenum spacers to even out the air curves inside the intake, when all was said and done with all the extras i was into it for around $2500 ,,, ime not sure what the hp was cause there is no dyno around here but i could get 3rd gear rubber out of it (automatic 4 speed) and eat any mustang or import around, my buddy that helped with the build figured it should have around 450hp,,, it was really hard driving around town even with the boost turned down, needless to say it was kinda hairy driving it almost too much power for a minivan and my wife so i sold it to buy the odyssey, ...

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
That's an impressive build! Amazing that the engine rotating parts and drivetrain could handle that much power.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That's an impressive build! Amazing that the engine rotating parts and drivetrain could handle that much power.
thank you, i had lots of help from the turbododge forum, the reason people pick late 90s caravans to boost is cause the drivetrains in them are same as the stealth and mitsubishi so they can handle a good beating, my plan in the begining was to boost my ody as well but low and behold a week after i got it the tranny dumps, from what ive read even a rebuilt trans probably wont handle much more horsepower. I think that the ody would handle boost if it had a standard trans,,, is there one that fits? ime ok with modifications if there needed.

·
Registered
8,718 Posts
If you search the site, you will find several folks who have investigated a standard transmission for the Ody. None was found.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am trying to find a way to turbo my van and then i came across this wonderful thing on ebay and was wondering if that is the motor out of the 2nd gen ody? And another thing is what kind of kit is it if it does fit? Also in the 2nd link, if this kit would work on my ody too.
2004 Tec 3 Sand Rail Dune Buggy Vtec 3.5 honda v6 350hp turbo charger SANDRAIL in Dune Buggies / Sand Rails | eBay Motors
T04E 24PC TURBO KIT+MANIFOLD+DOWNPIPE+INTERCOOLER 98-02 HONDA ACCORD V6 3L J30A1 | eBay
That kit on ebay could be a STARTING point. Read the ad and you will see the part where it says "professional installation recommended. No instructions included.". You are basically buying a bunch of parts. That is just asking for trouble. If you have the time and money to play with a motor till you get it right, then this is a good start. If you are trying to get an out of box package that is ready to go, this will only get you into a lot of trouble. Then you need to worry if the rest of the drivetrain can handle the additional HP. This "cheap" kit is actually very expensive.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
thank you, i had lots of help from the turbododge forum, the reason people pick late 90s caravans to boost is cause the drivetrains in them are same as the stealth and mitsubishi so they can handle a good beating,...
Man, I just love watching these Mitsu-monster-boosted old Caravans eating up muscle cars during bracket events posted on Youtube.

One of the number of guys who've done this actually used a Ford Powerstroke FMIC...the inlet & outlet horns were a nice fit, almost like it was made that way in the first place.

This is one of my favorites: :nice:

Note the ET & trap speed at the end. If you're thinking how that matches, it means that van was really getting off its hind legs and starting to march hard approaching the 1/8-mile point. In short, even with a bad launch & poor 60-foot time, once at that point he could wave bye-bye to a lot of other vehicles in his mirror on any given run.

I'd pay money to see one of these in Europe, head-to-head against an AMG Mercedes on a standing 1/2-kilometer drag race.

OdyVanMan04, I can't imagine how much fun you had with your Dodge turbo Mitsu motor ride. It's the only setup where you can bring your family, all the other guys watch your kids pile out of the van, you put on the slicks, and then go tear up the strip.

I followed one guy's build online, and had to laugh when he related how the event safety & tech guys asked him, "Hey, where's your driveshaft hoop? We can't find one...actually, we can't even find the driveshaft...." :DD

OF

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you're going to put a turbo, do it right or don't do it at all. Doing a legit turbo is going to cost $7k+. All these eBay turbo kits are crap. You really think a $200 add-on kit is going to do the same as what the Bisimoto will do? Don't kid yourself. There's a reason why it's $200 vs $7k. The internals of the car will need to be modified as well as modifications. The stock engine won't be able to handle that amount power.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts