Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss the turn lights (that lit up the area to the left/right of the car in preparation for a turn) that we had in our '94 Villager. Does anyone know of a kit to add those to a 2000 Ody EX? Also, I like what I see on the Japanese accessories site in another post in this thread. How do we go about finding more info (in English!)?

Thanks, all

Pseudolus

·
Registered
234 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pseudolus:
I miss the turn lights (that lit up the area to the left/right of the car in preparation for a turn) that we had in our '94 Villager. Does anyone know of a kit to add those to a 2000 Ody EX? Also, I like what I see on the Japanese accessories site in another post in this thread. How do we go about finding more info (in English!)?

Thanks, all

Pseudolus

</font>
This site will translate web pages.

http://world.altavista.com/

·
Registered
134 Posts
I noticed a lot of Lagreats (Japanese Ody) have side markers and rear bumper back-up lights. Is this an option in Japan or is it aftermarket? I've seen the little APC side markers in stores, but I'm talking about flush mounted jobs.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
1,484 Posts
The side markers are standard eq. on most of the vehicles over there. I think the rear bumper back-up lights are an accessory.

I want to put some side markers on my Ody but am a bit hesitant about drilling holes into the side of the van.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
The side markers are standard eq. on most of the vehicles over there. I think the rear bumper back-up lights are an accessory.

I want to put some side markers on my Ody but am a bit hesitant about drilling holes into the side of the van.

-Nestor

</font>
I'm also about to put side markers on our new '02 SS LX. I found some on JCWhitney that are LED, so the power consumption should be low enough that I can rig them in series with the existing front signals without taxing the circuit or the blinker relay. Another option I've considered is the VW Beetle/Jetta side indicators, which are also LED and more attractive that the JCWhitney ones. I'm not too hesitant about drilling, so long as the final product works and looks good.

Has anyone seen other options for the side signals? If I decide to go for it, I'll make sure to post pics and notes.

STLODY

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:

-Nestor

</font>
Nestor (aka Mod God),

You're kidding right? After ripping out your entire dash and steering column to get that Navi/DVD system in, you're worried about drilling little holes into the Ody?

[This message has been edited by DTKWOK (edited 02-15-2002).]

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DTKWOK:
Nestor (aka Mod God),

You're kidding right? After ripping out your entire dash and steering column to get that Navi/DVD system in, you're worried about drilling little holes into the Ody?

[This message has been edited by DTKWOK (edited 02-15-2002).]
</font>
LOL
I see what you mean - seeing how CRAZY that mod was. But technically I'm really a "Swap god". Look at my track record...so far I've swapped wires, rims, steering wheels, shift knobs and even roof moldings!

I'll let you when I reach the status of a "Hole-y god"

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 02-15-2002).]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stlody:
...LED, so the power consumption should be low enough that I can rig them in series...</font>
I think you mean in parallel, in series the current for the lamps would fry the LEDs immediately. In parallel, you're right, the current consumption of LEDs should be low enough to be insignificant.

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pseudolus:

Thanks, all

Pseudolus

</font>
The Honda foglights do a pretty good job of this-my wife and I now use them all the time because they do such a good job of lighting up the areas of the road to the sides of the coverage of the headlights. They don't offer any "side marker" capability, but they are pret good for the problem you describe. FYI.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I really like the side marker LED from VW/AUDI and even BMW, they add the visibility to others on the road when making turns, besides enhancing the beauty of the car. I am thinking to buy the light assembly from their dealers and install in the Ody. Is there any owners of those vehicles also owns Ody? Can they check the possibility of doing that?

·
Registered
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
I really like the side marker LED from VW/AUDI and even BMW, they add the visibility to others on the road when making turns, besides enhancing the beauty of the car. I am thinking to buy the light assembly from their dealers and install in the Ody. Is there any owners of those vehicles also owns Ody? Can they check the possibility of doing that?</font>
I don't own a VW, but my neighbor does and I've looked very closely at the side turn lights. They are completely flat, have a gasket at the base, and dont' require a recess in the fender/door for mounting. So it seems that a single drilled hole for the wires should be all that is needed to mount them. I don't know if they are attached with sheet metal screws or with adhesive tape, but either way they should work for the Ody. I'll call a local VW dealer tomorrow and see how much they cost.

STLODY

'02 SS LX
-good paint
-Honda security/keyless
-JVC KDSH99 in dash MP3 player
-soon mudguards and underseat tray

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks stlody, let us know how much it costs and see if you can ask the VW technician how to replace the light.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Hey folks, if these sidemarkers or others work out, how about a group buy? Maybe we can get better pricing? Thanks for the posts!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks stlody, let us know how much it costs and see if you can ask the VW technician how to replace the light.</font>
So I finally got to calling a VW dealership. The side marker turn signals that I was interested in are from the 2002 Beetle. They have LEDs, not bulbs, so there is no need to replace bulbs. They are a very nice silver with a clear lens. The downside: they run $53.46 each (part #1C0949101A). The tech I talked to said they snap into holes in the Beetle fender, but they are flush mount, not recessed. So it would seem that all we would need to do is drill the appropriate diameter holes and wire the unit in parallel to the existing front turn signal. I think it could all be done by removing the fender well liner, without having to take off the fender.

I'm going to try to convince my wife that it's worth $108 to have side turn markers. I think they are a very important safety feature, particularly for lane changes on the interstate. Plus, they're really cool looking. Next time you see a new Beetle, take a look. The only other ones I've found are $20 a pair from JCWhitney. But they're kindof ugly.

If wife buys the argument, I'm going to order a pair and I'll let you know how it goes.

STLODY

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wow, if the S200's light assmbly is that cheap, I'll probably look deeper into it and see if it is easy to add to my ody. May be it does not look as cool as the Beetle's, but for safety, it is dirt cheap. Besides, my ody looks different.
Any S2000 owners here can send us the wiring and assembly detail ? I do not mind drilling a small hole to do that since I have done that to my old 99' ody last time, that was easy, just poke it through, no drilling equipment needed. And no rust problem if treated properly.

·
1,484 Posts
Wow, if the S200's light assmbly is that cheap, I'll probably look deeper into it and see if it is easy to add to my ody. May be it does not look as cool as the Beetle's, but for safety, it is dirt cheap. Besides, my ody looks different.
Any S2000 owners here can send us the wiring and assembly detail ? I do not mind drilling a small hole to do that since I have done that to my old 99' ody last time, that was easy, just poke it through, no drilling equipment needed. And no rust problem if treated properly.
</font>
Huh? No drilling equipment or rust? Can you explain in detail what you did on your 99 Ody lotus18? Any pics?

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
202 Posts
Wow, if the S200's light assmbly is that cheap, I'll probably look deeper into it and see if it is easy to add to my ody. May be it does not look as cool as the Beetle's, but for safety, it is dirt cheap. </font>
Well, it looks like the Beetle side light, in addition to being expensive, would require a much larger hole to mount than I anticipated. Although the base is completely flat and there is no recess on the Beetle fender for the light, I looked more closely today and realized that the entire LED area of the signal is deeper than the fender. So it would require cutting an oval hole about 2" x 1" in the Ody fender to mount. I'm not crazy about cutting a hole that large in my fender.

How does the S2000 side lamp mount?

STLODY

1 - 20 of 27 Posts