Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weird noise coming from the left driver's side of my '01 Odyssey. The noise sounds like a fast turn signal clicking two or three times then stops. It does this when I do not have the turn signal engaged. It always makes the noise after a turn has been completed and the signal has turned off, but often does it just driving straight down the road. It is completely annoying! I noticed this after having the bushing replaced and alignment done but I do not know if that has anything to do with it. Bulbs are all working and turn signal works properly. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
The noise could be coming from the suspension. Which bushing was replaced?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both front bushing were replaced, left and right. The noise is coming from the dash console though. It sounds exactly like the turn signal but faster, like when a bulb is out, except that it only does it two or three times and stops, then repeats after a short pause.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
It may be a relay on the way out. The "main" relay that controls the EFI is in that area. Hopefully you can catch it doing it while parked so you can narrow down where it is coming from.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Could be a failing TURN SIGNAL/HAZARD RELAY. It is located on the back of the Driver's Under-Dash Fuse/Relay Box.

·
Registered
21 Posts
On our 2003 Odyssey, we have had the same problem for about 3 months now. Sometimes it will stop by itself, but most of the time it keeps going on without end.

I found a mention of this in a Civic forum where the owner stated that the grease and metal particles in the switch assembly cause a connection that makes the relay click without actually turning on any lights.

I have yet to take anything apart to remedy this because I'm not sure how to approach this. Do I have to take off the steering wheel assembly, or just the column covers to access the switch?

Any help would be appreciated and will be mentioned when I make the Youtube video.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
The relay is on the other side of the Driver's Under-Dash Fuse/Relay Box down by the parking brake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fixed the turn signal clicking noise!

As it turns out, it was a bunch of crud making contact when it shouldn't have been.
I am editing the video right now and will have it posted soon. Search Youtube for OdyClub, SGTJasonShrout, Honda Odyssey Turn Signal Clicking, etc...
Finally a solution! After watching the video, it should only take about an hour of your life to get this done (no need to rush it). If you try to hurry, you'll break something.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqDwzv33b2s

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJr6JQFAC2g

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks, very helpful videos. Same identical problem with my 2003 yesterday (180,000mi), except that mine ended up causing a smell/smoke from the steering column. The plastic housing had overheated and started to melt. I'll have to order another switch, which is only a $48 discounted part. Too bad my search didn't find your post earlier as I struggled trying to figure out how that switch unit comes out and was ready to pull the steering wheel, even after removing the two long screws, the unit didn't budge and it wasn't clear what was holding it in place, but a little nudge with the screwdriver and the whole turn signal unit slides out to the left.

FYI The problem begins with odd turn signal events, clicking noise and finally in my case the switch was frozen and the clicking sound continuous.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just replaced the turn signal switch in my 2003 Ody in about 5 minutes.. here were the steps

disconnect battery negative terminal (optional but if you sense a short, probably necessary)
turn the steering wheel so it looks like a "K"..this allows access to the screws on the left
remove the three phillips screws holding the bottom steering column cover
just drop down the panel.. no need to fully remove it
pull up on the upper cover - no need to remove it
remove the two gold screws holding the turn signal in place
pull out or pry out the turn signal mechanism to the left as you are looking at it
remove the wiring harness
insert the wiring harness in the new switch mechanism
push the switch back in place and insert the two screws
replace push the lower cover back up and reattach to upper cover and insert the three screws in the lower panel
reconnect battery terminal if necessary.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Here are pics of what some of you have to look forward to.. sticky turn signal, smell of plastic melting, and finally smoke coming from the steering column. If you experience symptoms before the melting begins, pull it out, clean it and put it back together. Not a big job, if you view the videos and follow the steps. Looks like small metal fragments wear off the contacts and get stuck in the grease and create a short.

2003 Ody Turn Sig Sw12.JPG

The first pic is the inside of the switch and the second pic is of the outside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First I would like to say thank you to all who take the time to post their solutions and knowledge here. I also had a problem with the signal clicking even though the signal was not on. It was driving me crazy. The solution for me was to clean off the contacts in the signal assembly. The info and videos here were very helpful. When I took the signal assembly out and tried to separate it, parts went flying all over the place. I found a video of someone who had the same problem. His video is very clear and helped me to reassemble the signal to working order. I am posting it here for your use…

·
Registered
7 Posts
was any contact burnt out? if so, how did you replace it or you just cleaned it and put it back?

I just cleaned the contacts. The entire assembly box was greasy. The contacts were covered in black grease as was the inside of the assembly box. I wiped everything with paper towels. I didn't use any cleaners. It was really simple and easy. I think the toughest part of this project was finding that video above after the box popped open and parts went flying everywhere. :duh:

I hope this helped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts