Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought: Typical 4, 5, 6 7 or 8" panels run around $400 or more. Why not use a 15" (could be found for less than $400) and use this box by Viewsonic for the TV tuner? (link below). This box also includes S-Video, Composite (VGA) and other inputs. I plan to put a PC for GPS (Delorme), rear backup camera system and MP3 playback.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_vb50hrtv.cfm

·
Registered
169 Posts
Deja vu! This is similar to an idea I had a while ago after seeing dozens of laptop screens for sale on eBay. My way was too expensive since I would have needed to purchase an LCD controller, power inverter, housing, etc. Assuming that you're considering using a flat panel desktop monitor, your solution should work like a charm. I have 2 concerns:

1. Where are you going to mount that beast where it doesn't present a safety hazard and is still usable?
2. (related to #1) How easy will it be to remove it from it's mount so it doesn't get stolen when you're not there?

Mike

[This message has been edited by mclarke (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
I considered the same idea for a project. I did a "Google" search for LCD laptop components. There are possibilities out there folks. Location to mount is another. My idea would be to have two screens, each attached on the back of headrest area or the seatback itself. Safety is my #1 issue and I have no time to do this yet, but someday plan to get it together. Hopefully prices will drop low enough for everything!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts