·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done this? is it possible?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Assuming you have done the video on my navi mod, you can plug an external TV tuner in. Also, if the tuner has RGB output, that could (in theory) be directly tied in without the composite to RGB converter, which is in tight supply now. (AVC-RGB1)

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SHINJOHN,
GLAD YOU ANSWERED THIS ONE, NO, I DONT HAVE VIDEO ON MY NAVI, YET. I WOULD LOVE TO BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT PARTS AND WHERE TO GET IT, MY PLAN IS TO GET TO GET A VCP IN RSHACK AND A 10' MONITOR AND TV TUNER. IM NOT A GENIUS WHEN IT COMES TO ELECTRONICS, WILL IT BE POSSIBLE TO COOK ME UP A PLAN OF WHICH PARTS TO GET? AM I ASKING ALOT OR SHOULD I DRIVE TO CUPERTINO? WHERE IS CUPERTINO ANYWAYS:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMHO, TV in an automobile is not worth the trouble. You will get very poor signal. Primarily as UHF/VHF signals are directional. The diversity antenna which is sold by most companies do not work that well.

You will get a lot of details from Nestor(nemogira)'s post on videonavi conversion.

By the way, how are you planning to secure the VCP ?

Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by starlight (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im thinking under the driver seat in the back, on the t.v. issue, im not about to watch it on the go, im going to watch it in the parking lot waiting for my wife to get her hair done, i don want o miss them LAKERS!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bmutuc:
SHINJOHN,
GLAD YOU ANSWERED THIS ONE, NO, I DONT HAVE VIDEO ON MY NAVI, YET. I WOULD LOVE TO BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT PARTS AND WHERE TO GET IT, MY PLAN IS TO GET TO GET A VCP IN RSHACK AND A 10' MONITOR AND TV TUNER. IM NOT A GENIUS WHEN IT COMES TO ELECTRONICS, WILL IT BE POSSIBLE TO COOK ME UP A PLAN OF WHICH PARTS TO GET? AM I ASKING ALOT OR SHOULD I DRIVE TO CUPERTINO? WHERE IS CUPERTINO ANYWAYS:)
</font>
Take a look at this thread, it details most of what you need to know/get. Nestor or Marvyn could probably help you with the missing bits and pieces.

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000130.html

I'd love to help, but I can barely help myself these days with 2 kids at home. Funny, my "free time" for surfing the boards is at work! LOL.

BTW, Cupertino is where Apple Computer is located, in the SF Bay Area. It's in between San Francisco and San Jose, though MUCH closer to San Jose.

You should drive up for the Bay Area meet if your are free that weekend... You could check out Nestor's Ody, which has this mod, among many others....

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
1,484 Posts
Just to get things clear...

The (discontinued) Pioneer AVC-RGB1 is used to convert a composite video signal to RGB output. The NAVI screen only accepts RGB and comp sync signals.

Now in theory...if you can find a tuner, vcp or anything that has an RGB and comp sync output then it should work without the need for the AVC unit.

I was sort of able to do it with a PS2 and SCART cord. The PS2 is capable of outputing RGB and comp sync signals. The video games play fine...but the DVD ouput is protected by a green mask tint to protect from piracy. I'm still working on getting around that.

I think some of the Pioneer tuners have RGB output. Although there is something about needing to buy an extra screen. Maybe ask Steve (VideoNAVI) about that.

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
368 Posts
bmutuc: I installed a Jensen roof mount flip down unit (6.8") with built in tuner in our Navi. I used an amplified tv antenna from owdonald.com. I just jump in the back seat and watch tv while the wife is shopping. Also use it for dvd and vhs tapes. I get 23 clear channels of tv in the San Fernando Valley (2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 18, 22, 28, 34, plus lots of obscure uhf channels) Works pretty good in major metro areas. Don't know how it would work in Rosemead area (if you have poor tv reception at home, it will be poor in the van), but seems to work pretty good driving through downtown Los Angeles too. We even got good reception in Barstow on our last trip to Vegas, and good reception in downtown Las Vegas. Fringe areas the reception is poor to non existent.

I know this isn't the same as having it play on the Navi screen, but it sure works ok and is pretty simple to install. All the necessary components are easy to find too.

IMO, the best use for the Navi screen (other than for the Navi) would be for a back up camera.

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Questar Mobile DVD player; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Dashtopper, Zaino'd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts