Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I took a shot at installing a 15" TView all-in-one DVD player in our 2007 EXL. I think it went pretty well. I have to admit that I was pretty nervous and did a lot of research before I started this. I got the T1591dvfd from Amazon. The first thing I did was hook it up to 12V power to make sure it worked. Once I saw that it worked, I knew I just had to go for it! The hardest part is getting the mounting bracket set in the ceiling. Once that's in, it's a piece of cake, really.

The only hardware that it came with was the mounting plate and the 6 screws that hold the DVD system to the mounting plate. I took those screws to Home Depot and bought 6 screws that were twice as long with washers. I also bought some 1" sheet metal screws that would fit through the backing plate. I didn't want to run back and forth to the hardware store while installing.

Here's the play-by-play:
1. I put the DVD player on a sheet of paper and traced the outside of it on the paper. I also put the pencil through the screw holes in the plastic to mark those on the paper.
2. I put the metal plate over the screw holes on the paper and then traced that down on the paper as well.
3. I taped the paper to the ceiling where I wanted the DVD player. This thing is huge, so there isn't a lot of room. (see pic 1)
4. I took a razor blade and cut out where the front 1/3 of the mounting plate will sit. This opened up a 3"x6" rectangle in the ceiling.
5. I took a pencil and traced the remainder of the mounting plate on the ceiling. (see pic 2)
6. I tried putting the mounting plate into the ceiling to see how it lined up, but I didn't like how it fit. I could line up one end over the beam that sites about 2" behind the sunroof, but I didn't like how it didn't seat evenly or feel very stable.
7. I took a 1/2" piecie of wood and cut out a rectangle that was the size of the plate. (see pic 3)
8. I cut a 1"x2" into the corner of the board that is closest to the rear AC controls that will allow a wire to come through.
9. I removed the drivers Holy Sh!t handle and pulled down the weather stripping. I took a wire coat hanger and pushed it between the top of the drivers door and the head liner and snaked it over to the hole in the roof. This wasn't that hard. Just do it carefully. Once through, I attached the wire to the end and continued to pull it through. Just run the wire along the door and hold it in place with the weather stripping. You can easily run the wire down to the fuse box.
10. I ran the red wire to the fuse box. I ran the black wire to the triangular pop out plate that is just to the left of the rear door controls. There's a screw in there that I used to ground the black wire. I bought the add-a-circuit at autozone and plugged the red line to that and then used the ACC fuse in the fuse box. Note: You have to put 2 fuses in the add-a-fuse. This screwed with me for a little bit!
11. I placed the piece of wood into the hole and lined it up with the 2 holes I drilled into the beam and screwed it down tight (see pic 4). I figured this would give me something that I could anchor to the frame on one end and thed sandwich the the ceiling between the board and the mounting plate.
12. I then cut out another piece of wood that I could slide into the hole in the roof, screw to the piece of wood that is already installed and leave me with a flat surface.
13. I screwed the mounting plate into the wood (see pic 5/6) and pulled the wire through.
14. Now you just plug in the wire to the DVD player and get a friend to help line up the holes to put in the 6 mounting screws.

The only issue I hit was the the roof isn't quite flat so there are little gaps around the end toward the front and end of the DVD player. I plan to buy some black weather stripping and use that to mold the edges so it looks nice. The FM tuner works great and my 3 kids love this thing! It does block the rear view considerably. I can see around the left/right side if I move my head, but I'll probably be using my side mirrors as I would if the back window was blocked.

Overall, I'm glad I did it!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do you attach the plywood onto the ceiling? e.g., do you put any screws to attach the plywood onto the ceiling? Thanks. I have a 2006 odyssey w/o the sunroof. I don't know whether there is any beam on the ceiling of the van or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts