Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the other thread on tweeters and crossovers, this question comes to mind.

Can anyone tell me if the LX is wired for tweeters in the factory dashboard locations like the EX is and if so, are those circuits active?

I've seen some vehicles where the lower trim level vehicles are wired for all the options that the upper trim level versions come with. It's just that those options aren't installed. I hadn't thought about it before but if the LX is wired at those locations and all you had to do was drop in the speakers and plug them in, it might be worth the trouble, assuming it made an improvement at all.

Anyone tried this?
Thanks for any input!

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
58 Posts
"Can anyone tell me if the LX is wired for tweeters in the factory dashboard locations like the EX is and if so, are those circuits active?"

I can't answer your question diffinitively, but I'll make an educated guess. According to the wire diagrams, the speaker outputs from the factory radio run through the fuse block before they go to the speakers. My guess is they do this so they can use the same harness on the factory radio on both models and change only the speaker harness as needed.

The fronts on the EX require a cross over and you do not want one for the LX, so by deduction the speaker harnesses are different on each trim level. Since there are two harnesses there is no need to have unused wiring on one of the two. Therefore, my GUESS is there is no wiring going up to the in dash tweeter cutouts.

The other possibility is the cross over is in the EX fuse block and there are seperate harnesses going to the doors and dash right from the fuse block. That being the case there still won't be any speaker wires in the dash since they would just ommit this harness altogether.

When you also consider that I know for a fact that entire harnesses are ommitted from my LX that are present in the EX (power for the sliding doors, for instance) it doesn't look very promising.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 02 LX came with tweeters in the dash near the posts. Was I lucky, or what? At 1,500 over MSRP, it would be a small concession!
It does sound great to me!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Actually, I remember reading (LX tweeter upgrade thread?) that the LX does in fact have factory wiring for the tweeters. Thus, 10/6 lucked out because the factory messed up and installed the tweeters as oppossed to the blank covers.

The front speakers are wired in parallel off the head unit's front outputs, and "crossovers" consist of:

1) nothing for the door mid/bass
2) a cap soldered in series to the tweeter, right at the tweeter

This method makes everything simple for the factory...

Hope this helps.

------------------
-SJ (former username: shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hmmm...I have a 2000 LX and I don't have the wiring in place. I popped the tweeter cover off, looked all around, and there is nothing. I wonder if this changed after 2000?

·
Registered
254 Posts
i checked my 2000lx and i can not see wires for the tweeters. i checked another 2000lx when it was in my shop for replacement of the windshield. with the glass out of the way, it was much easier to check for the harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by carln:
I popped the tweeter cover off...</font>

I recently purchased a 2002 LX. How do you pop the tweeter covers off? Does the dashboard need moving or are the covers merely held in with friction clips? Is there a prescribed method to reach and pull?

What might be a good tweeter model to install?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dsmith1:

I recently purchased a 2002 LX. How do you pop the tweeter covers off? Does the dashboard need moving or are the covers merely held in with friction clips? Is there a prescribed method to reach and pull?

What might be a good tweeter model to install?

Thanks.
</font>
To remove covers, just use a knife. I've found the best tool for me was my swiss army for this task. Be carefull not to damage the dash or cover. Just get the blade under one side, pry up and they pop off really easily.

As with anything audio, a good brand/model is subjective. It really depends on your tastes, budget, and what kind of use you are after.

Personally, I hate dash mounted tweeters. Many old threads on this subject. I have an EX, upgraded my front speakers and disconnected my dash tweeters altogether.

-SJ

------------------
-SJ (former username: shinjohn)
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts