Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven for many years using my right foot for the throttle and my left for the brake. It takes some time to be comfortable with this system, but, once that is accomplished, one can be a little smoother driver, since the interval between the release of one pedal and the depression of the other is smaller. As to the issue of riding the brakes, in my case, at least, it does NOT exist. My foot is either off the brake pedal or on it to slow the van.

I do not advocate this system for all, but, those who find it comfortable will enjoy it.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
I have driven for many years using my right foot for the throttle and my left for the brake. It takes some time to be comfortable with this system, but, once that is accomplished, one can be a little smoother driver, since the interval between the release of one pedal and the depression of the other is smaller. As to the issue of riding the brakes, in my case, at least, it does NOT exist. My foot is either off the brake pedal or on it to slow the van.

I do not advocate this system for all, but, those who find it comfortable will enjoy it.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

</font>
I've known folks who drive this way very successfully. I don't happen to be one of them!
I tried it once and it didn't work "at all!!!"

I guess the problem for those of us that don't drive this way is the number of folks we see going down the road for miles on end with the brake lights on. It's like these people don't have a clue. They also wonder why their brakes wear out in 20k miles. You sound like you've got it down right though, Jerry. If you don't need to use the brakes, you're foot's on the floor. I've met some who fit the discription above that think they're reducing their reaction times by keeping their left foot on top of the brake pedal. Unfortunately, it's not practical to keep that up for any length of time.

As they say, it's different strokes for different folks. More power to all of us, regardless of which method we prefer!

Drive Safe everyone,
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Braking with the left foot can allow the driver to corner faster. With practice and correct technique, the weight distribution is improved by accelerating at the same time.

Vol

·
Registered
141 Posts
I two foot brake in racing situations only... that is to say, definitely not in any of my cars.

I agree that for racing, it definitely helps because it eliminates the delay between gas and brake.

------------------
2001 Mesa Beige EX

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pummal:
I two foot brake in racing situations only... that is to say, definitely not in any of my cars.

I agree that for racing, it definitely helps because it eliminates the delay between gas and brake.

</font>
Anyone been autocrossing their Ody lately?

Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 08-13-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts