Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Any of the technically savvy guys or gals here know what type of hard drive Honda used in the Odyssey EX-L Navi or Touring/Touring Elite? I doubt it's a solid state drive but I noticed that the speed is actually pretty fast for me. If they had used a "regular" hard drive, I wonder why they didn't put in a 100 GB or 250 GB hard drive since prices are dirt cheap these days on "regular" hard drives?

I know 15 GB of the total storage is available to users for copying CDs and the rest reserved for the navigation system. Does anybody know how much storage is in the original hard drive?

Also just for fun, has anybody hacked the system so that one can play other media e.g. DVDs on the large navigation screen upfront? :cool:

Thanks,

·
Registered
182 Posts
You're in Silicon Valley. Isn't there some passing computer scientist or some other nerd you can just grab off the street and have them investigate for us? Shoot, they may even write up some cool code for fun. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL. Thanks, Gstom1.

Visited that thread and went to the parts website. It's:

01739176-TK8-A82Hdd Unit
Emission: KA - US Market Spec
Origin: USA
001$436.67

$436 for a notebook hard drive? OMG. Is it made out of precious metals?

@codex57

Ha ha. I probably can but they will ask me for stock options in my Ody. As a depreciating asset, it may work out alright.

Seriously though, I bet the unit has already been hacked and someone's got some home brew software that's lighting up the screen now!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Prolly. Those engineers know they're in high demand right now tho. Gotta hope someone out there is bored enough to have hacked the software out of their own goodwill/curiosity.

Would you really need to hack the software though? I'm not too tech savvy anymore, but I'm curious, what would happen if you took a bigger HDD (or solid state drive) and just mirrored the stock drive? If there's more room, wouldn't it just allow you to keep burning songs until it hit the limit of the new drive? I mean, yeah it sucks that you wouldn't be able to do more than just burn some songs, but more room is still more room.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You might be able to burn more songs or the firmware might be hard coded to just accept 15 GB of data for songs and user stuff. Someone would have to try.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
159 Posts
$436 for a notebook hard drive? OMG. Is it made out of precious metals?
Actually, it is. The disks have materials like platinum, ruthenium, etc....

Not saying the price is good or bad.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a negative Ghostrider. The pattern is full! Top Gun 1986 should never be attempted again.

LOL. You are right SFR, and someone has actually explored this topic in detail with a $30 question on Ganswers:

Google Answers: Precious metas in computer hardware

"The short answer to your question is yes, there are precious metals incomputer hard drives and perhaps even in some keyboards, but thereality is that they're present in such miniscule amounts thatretrieving them would be nearly impossible. Even if it were possibleto retrieve them the quantities involved wouldn't be worth very much..."$436 for the Honda Nav HDD is more than likely...a rip-off.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
$436 for the Honda Nav HDD is more than likely...a rip-off.
Possibly, but I wouldn't expect to pay the same price than for an HDD for PC or laptop. I bet the automotive HDDs are more rugged to handle things such as vibration and extreme temperatures. In other words, it is not your typical Best Buy Seagate or Western Digital HDD

And maybe related, but the van integrated USB connection does not work with external USB HDDs, just gadgets with flash memory (or a USB memory stick)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@BigBoat

True. I haven't had the music coming from the HDD skip on me once yet, even on very bumpy roads so that must mean the HDD handles vibration very well similar to those military-grade HDDs. Still, the price on those are fairly inexpensive these days. One can also buy an ordinary desktop/notebook HDD and place it in a rugged enclosure kit.

As for the integrated USB connection, I use one of those mini USB memory sticks that's shaped almost like a cap and it's barely noticeable once plugged in. I loaded some wallpapers but again, there's a limitation to how many pictures one can load. I also wish that there's a slideshow player that can play pictures on the high-res screen.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bet the automotive HDDs are more rugged to handle things such as vibration and extreme temperatures. In other words, it is not your typical Best Buy Seagate or Western Digital HDD
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner..... Disks made for automotive applications are indeed different than for your laptop for the reasons you state. The HDDs also have other features to make them more robust as well - and consider that (I'm guessing on this one) automotive customers have more extreme warranty requirements given the obscene cost of R&Ring a HDD in the field. So I suspect the HDDs have to pass more rigorous testing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know if this is off-topic or not.

Can i put my portable 1 TB HD in usb port?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Little off from the topic but, this is my preference over the hard drive and I love it. I have an iPhone and through iCloud my whole iTunes library (over 6,000 songs) travels with me where ever I go.. The Bluetooth Audio links my iPhone automatically to the Odyssey as soon as I get in the car, and starts playing where left off.. Only catch is, you cannot see the song info on the Nav Screen which I think is not critical. Btw: you can also play pandora... So, who needs XM.. Anyway, long story short I am not interested how big my Ody hard drive is.. Love the threads, just wanted to share what I do.. thanks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
People, stay on course. Don't go below the "hard deck" like Maverick and Goose!

;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts