Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I went to start my van and the dash lights come on, there is a click, but then the van doesn't start. The dash system info shows all the checks ("Check Brake System", "Check Airbag System", "Check ABS System", etc). I confirmed my battery has a 92% charge. The keyless remote is also able to lock/unlock the doors. I even held the keyfob right up to the start button. I've disconnected the battery as well and let it sit for 10 min. Still the same behavior. What's going on?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Same happened to my Odyssey recently, it was the battery after 5-1/2 years of use. Got an AGM battery from Advance Auto and all is fine since.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a digital Diehard battery charger. If it was a dead battery, wouldn't it at least try to crank? But it's not even engaging when I press the start button - just a few clicks. The lights don't dim either when starting. It's kind of like this guy's video except without the dash lights flickering.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I suspect your charger is giving you bad information. If you have lights but only clicks when you try to start, then that's an indication of a low battery. That battery has just enough power to run lights but not enough to start the van.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
does the charger have engine start / boost mode? do you have another battery you can boost the van from?

·
Registered
81 Posts
But now that I've watched the video, the dash lights are blinking then go out when the start button is depressed. I'm still going with low battery.

As mentioned above, see if your charger has a boost/start mode. If so, you might be able to get enough jump to get the van started. Then drive immediately to a parts store and get a new battery.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have a digital Diehard battery charger. If it was a dead battery, wouldn't it at least try to crank? But it's not even engaging when I press the start button - just a few clicks. The lights don't dim either when starting. It's kind of like this guy's video except without the dash lights flickering.

seems like that DieHarder battery is sketchy, or a bad terminal connection.
do you have a battery load tester?
even just putting a volt meter on the terminals, while someone pushes the start button, if there is a severe voltage drop then its the battery.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So weird. I plugged the charger in again and this time it showed 20%. I charged for a few hours and it started right up. Whew! At least it wasn’t the starter or something else to replace.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
So weird. I plugged the charger in again and this time it showed 20%. I charged for a few hours and it started right up. Whew! At least it wasn’t the starter or something else to replace.
Glad you got it fixed.

The key concept here is VOLTAGE. That's one good way to measure a battery. These other "smart" methods are actually further from the truth, and can be misleading.

If I had to guess (and was about to write this as I was reading the thread, before seeing your conclusion), I'd say your battery was very low, down below 6 Volts.

When you hooked it up to the charger (I have a digital Diehard battery maintainer that magically works on both 6V and 12V batteries, will not blow up if you hook things up backwards, basically very "smart" and idiot proof, or so it thinks) maybe it saw the 5.7V or whatever, thought you had a 6V battery and led you to believe the battery was good.

After pumping in some current, the voltage probably surpassed 6V pretty quickly. Next time you initiated the charging, it finally correctly recognized the battery as a 12V battery, and charged it.

So at this point, you might want to figure out why the battery went low. Unless you find a door open, or a light on, it is likely to happen again. Also, if the battery is old, chances are that the fact that it ran so low in this one case may have given it a big push towards needing replacement.

BTW, even worse - when these smart chargers see a battery that has run down so low (e.g., 2V) that they don't even think it's a 6V battery, they will refuse to do anything at all. In those cases, you need to use a dumb charger or jumper cables to a non-dead battery to trick the smart charger into not trying so hard to be smart.

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good to know. Keep an eye on it though, as mentioned above you may have discharged it too much, which damages car batteries.

·
Registered
14,108 Posts
Also, why not disclose just how old the battery is? Kind of pertinent information. If it is the one that came in that van, it is over.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m not sure how old the battery is as I recently bought it used. I looked at the battery but was unable to determine if it is a factory battery. I don’t see the name Honda on it anywhere but I do see some Japanese I’m it.

I left the sliding doors open for a few nights to air out the vehicle after I had cleaned the carpets. I didn’t see any of the auxiliary lights come on but maybe it was drawing power anyway. Or maybe it was because I had to open the rear hatch and sliding door several times during the process although I can’t imagine that would be enough to drain the battery. I’m hopeful that I didn’t damage the battery and it does show on my charger fully charged. Normally when a battery is damaged it will never show fully charged. At least that has been my experience.

Appreciate the help everyone!

·
Registered
81 Posts
One way to test a battery is to measure the voltage after the engine has been off for a period of time (1/2 hour to an hour), (or disconnect the charger and wait). Using a voltmeter, check the voltage and compare it to this chart:

bee33e3900f485e036ab48387b4b2e54.jpg

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I’m not sure how old the battery is as I recently bought it used. I looked at the battery but was unable to determine if it is a factory battery. I don’t see the name Honda on it anywhere but I do see some Japanese I’m it.

I left the sliding doors open for a few nights to air out the vehicle after I had cleaned the carpets. I didn’t see any of the auxiliary lights come on but maybe it was drawing power anyway. Or maybe it was because I had to open the rear hatch and sliding door several times during the process although I can’t imagine that would be enough to drain the battery. I’m hopeful that I didn’t damage the battery and it does show on my charger fully charged. Normally when a battery is damaged it will never show fully charged. At least that has been my experience.

if you leave the doors open pretty sure that did it, might need to the switch power off to them at the dash button to avoid that.

I have a USB LED display replacing one of my 12v sockets which gives me voltage readings, Then I can easily determine if phantom loads are wearing down the battery.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Sulfation damage happens to the plates in lead acid batteries the longer they are left below the recommended voltage level.

you're in warm sunny Florida, and it was below voltage for a day or two.
should be OK, depending how old the battery is.

as a good practice, get the battery on a slow 1-2amp charge overnight once a year and load test it, to gauge its overall health, not just when there was a discharge incident.

Here in Canada if it goes down to -30C and you discharge the battery, its been sulphated and service life/reliability will be shortened.
see this happen all the time.

I buy costco batteries, 3 year full replacement and additional 2 year pro rated.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts