Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip in early March up to the mountains of West Virginia, and am concerned about the salt they use on the roads (in Houston, as you might guess, they never salt the roads). I want to get the van undercoated as a precaution. I have heard of using an oily coating, applied once a year, rather than a hard coating. Has anyone had experience with this? What is typical, what is effective, and where would I have it done? I need an education on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Don't bother.

Just get it washed frequently, particularly if the weather warms up. Most of the carwashes in snowcountry have an option to get the undercarriage washed.

It is quite debatable whether or not the undercarriage protectant packages actually do any good or not. I have yet to find any real research that says they are effective in preventing rust; in fact, there are some claims that the preventatives actually increase rust, by trapping salt and moisture against the metal. The only positive comments I've seen are either subjective individual posts or dealer ads.

There is a school of thought expressed here that the auto manufacturers have gotten better at building cars so they don't rust like those of the 60's and 70's.

Even if you did want to go ahead with the treatment, you might be better served with an installer who worked in snow country. Installers in the Houston area might not get much experience with treating vehicles.

If anyone has any research to the contrary, please post some links here, I'd be very glad to change my opinion based on real research.

Regards,

Maugham

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 01-29-2002).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There is a school of thought expressed here that the auto manufacturers have gotten better at building cars so they don't rust like those of the 60's and 70's.</font>
Having owned an 83 rustbucket Civic, and an 88 rustbucket Civic 4wd wagon, a 92 Civic (from new), and now an Ody, I can attest to that statement.

My 92 looks like new. Places I expected to see at least surface rust, are rust-free. It's astounding what they've done with modern cars.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Undercoating treatments are snake oil. Save your money and just throughly flush the undercarriage as previously suggested.

------------------

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neo Fender:
Undercoating treatments are snake oil. Save your money and just throughly flush the undercarriage as previously suggested.

</font>
<center>
</center>

·
Registered
596 Posts
At least a good heavy undercoat job can make the Ody ride a teensy bit quieter!

Fred

·
Registered
628 Posts
Upon delivery of my '02 three weeks ago I opted for a sound barrier undercoat for $139 ($30 cheaper than Ziebart). Dealer install of a product called "The Protector". Salesman said it was supposed to reduce road noise by 30%. I don't know about 30%, but it is noticeably quieter than my '00 EX was.

------------------
Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL

'02 GG EX-L
splash guards, Honda 6 disc in dash CD changer, Honda fog lights, cargo tray, leather steering wheel cover

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

[This message has been edited by sixtn39 (edited 01-29-2002).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Most of the specialized undercoat shops we had up north went out of business years ago. That should tell you something.
Hey, maybe they all took there snake oil and moved down south.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
At least a good heavy undercoat job can make the Ody ride a teensy bit quieter!

Fred
</font>
I'd like to find some research that verifies and quantifies that improvement.

I assume that much of the road noise is transmitted from the wheels via the axles into the unibody. Does spraying something underneath the vehicle change that noise? Or, are there other major routes sound waves take to get into the van?

I just got rid of an old Lincoln Town Car, which had a frame insulated from the body - that was a quiet car.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
861 Posts
NEVER, EVER get a car undercoated!!!! oh, and to the guy who had the Civic Rustbuckets...LOL! I'd like to see ANY car from that era that didn't rust! my dad in law just got rid of a 83 civic that was in near mint condition....all about the care and feeding of your honda

wash it regularly, remove the wheel lip rubber covers once a month in the winter, and take it to a do it yourself wash with the power washers once in a while for good measure. I've yet to have a car that I have owned since new rust....my 91 civic is in pristine condition, not a speck on it!

I go so far as to remove bumpers and lights once a year and clean and wax. that's where most of the rust starts....that is unless you own a Grand Am...they start rusting in the middle of the panels

hope this helps.

------------------
Owner:
1991 Honda Civic SiR: B16A DOHC VTEC powered visit at: http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000 Honda Odyssey LX: Wings West body kit, H&R springs, visit at: http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991 Honda Civic Basemodel: Bolt on mods, winter car, visit at: http://trickedodyssey.8m.com/91civicbase.html

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

Need speed? Need a Tricked Odyssey? www.pri-racing.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts