Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone applied undercoating or rustproofing to their 2011 Odyssey? The Ziebart rustproofing company has a sound barrier undercoat offering that they say reduces road noise. It is the same as their standard undercoating, but applied in two coats at 4X the thickness as regular undercoat. They say that they remove the plastic wheel well liners, apply the product and then replace them. They also undercoat the rest of the vehicle.

I'm under no illusions that an undercoat application will remove all road noise from a new Odyssey, but I thought it might help.

Anyone who has applied such a product - I'd like to hear about your experience - before and after stories.

Thanks,

Shazzam

·
Registered
407 Posts
Has anyone applied undercoating or rustproofing to their 2011 Odyssey? The Ziebart rustproofing company has a sound barrier undercoat offering that they say reduces road noise. It is the same as their standard undercoating, but applied in two coats at 4X the thickness as regular undercoat. They say that they remove the plastic wheel well liners, apply the product and then replace them. They also undercoat the rest of the vehicle.

I'm under no illusions that an undercoat application will remove all road noise from a new Odyssey, but I thought it might help.

Anyone who has applied such a product - I'd like to hear about your experience - before and after stories.

Thanks,

Shazzam
I had it done on my 2010 and honestly I didn't notice a difference in road noise (not Ziebart). For me, it was all about the rustproofing anyway. In your case I would be more worried about them putting the plastic parts back on properly.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
IMHO, Krown is the one for me. They actually remove the tailights to spray inside the panels and remove the chassis plugs to get inside the chassis frame underneath. I watched them apply it and they do a good job. I get this done every year. This product also acts as a lubricant.

The issue I have with the sound barrier undercoating would be the moisture that can get trapped in behind over the years once it has started to crack and peel?

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Shazzam, 2011 is not the first car ever made. There were prior generations. Did you read any of the prior discussions on the same subject? Were people happy with road noise after applying the stuff on the prior gens?

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shazzam, 2011 is not the first car ever made. There were prior generations. Did you read any of the prior discussions on the same subject? Were people happy with road noise after applying the stuff on the prior gens?
No, because I am trying to ascertain whether the 2011 model benefits from undercoating or soundproofing.

My question was: Did you undercoat your 2011 and did it make a difference? The 2011 Odyssey seems to have the wheels closer to the wells and the wells in the front are closer to the interior of the cabin - witness the dead pedal location on the driver's side as compared to earlier models. Maybe no amount of undercoating with this newer design would help, regardless of whether it helped in the past.

That is what I am interested in getting feedback on.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
What next? Are the tires of a 2011 round or square?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Undercoating is a waste of money of todays cars. They come from the factory with great rustproofing. My old 02 Accord had virtuall no rust on it underneith when I sold it with 135k on it. Honda knows how to make cars rust proof.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
^^ The OP was wondering about sound, not rust.
True. That's why I had asked what I had asked. It did NOT work for 2 of the prior gens. It should NOT work on this gen either. It will make a minor difference and folks even measured the decibel level in one of the older threads about the same Ziebart stuff.

For sound proofing, OP can go look up Dynamat posts too. That stuff seems to work per say. :)

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True. That's why I had asked what I had asked. It did NOT work for 2 of the prior gens. It should NOT work on this gen either. It will make a minor difference and folks even measured the decibel level in one of the older threads about the same Ziebart stuff.

For sound proofing, OP can go look up Dynamat posts too. That stuff seems to work per say. :)
I'm wondering who asked you?? Bored? I'm not being rude to anyone and maybe I'm stupid, but I wanted to know what peoples experiences were.

If I've broken a forum rule, please let me know. Otherwise ...

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
No, because I am trying to ascertain whether the 2011 model benefits from undercoating or soundproofing..

No, the 2011 are made from top notch Stainless Steel and will never rust. 2010 down Model
buyers got tin

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
I'm wondering who asked you?? Bored? I'm not being rude to anyone and maybe I'm stupid, but I wanted to know what peoples experiences were.

If I've broken a forum rule, please let me know. Otherwise ...
READ the stickies in the 2011 forums ye shall know. Too many of you guys posting left, right and center for stuff that has been hashed out several times over and then some and deliberately posting in WRONG forums to start out with.

Like WW says. Is the 2011 special? If not, why not use the collective knowledge of the prior gens too? Anything wrong with that? If it didn't work in 2 generations before (that is 10 years of model years), why will it work now?

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, the 2011 are made from top notch Stainless Steel and will never rust. 2010 down Model
buyers got tin
Thanks willy. I suspected that the 2011 wouldn't benefit any more than previous models, but wondered, given that the wheel wells are intruding more into the passenger compartment. Any reduction of noise in this particular model year would have been appreciated.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Thanks willy. I suspected that the 2011 wouldn't benefit any more than previous models, but wondered, given that the wheel wells are intruding more into the passenger compartment. Any reduction of noise in this particular model year would have been appreciated.
Only 203 Posts...You have not been her long enough to know what an A$$hole I am......

I do not know what tires the 11 came with....But I can tell you that the 2004 with the Michellin's were horrible.....They were the noisyiest tires I have ever had in my life. I recently switched to some cheap Starfire's that are so quiet, and unbelieveable in the snow.....

Now I can hear much better all of the rattles, wind noise and ticking from the crappy 3.5 l honda motor.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only 203 Posts...You have not been her long enough to know what an A$$hole I am......

I do not know what tires the 11 came with....But I can tell you that the 2004 with the Michellin's were horrible.....They were the noisyiest tires I have ever had in my life. I recently switched to some cheap Starfire's that are so quiet, and unbelieveable in the snow.....

Now I can hear much better all of the rattles, wind noise and ticking from the crappy 3.5 l honda motor.
So when are you buying a new one? :p

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
So when are you buying a new one? :p
Here's my issue:

Our van has only 46K on it. It is costing me nothing but Gas and maint at this point. It is our beater for vacations, baseball, soccer, basketball....etc. I coach 2 teams and throw a lot of dirty **** in the thing.....We are considering getting a new Sienna, but it would be a base sienna because I have found that all of the extras on this Honda are rarely used and quite often just a pain in the ass...Not to mention expensive these days!!!

So......I may just ride it out for a while longer and complain endlessly about the van and Honda

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's my issue:

Our van has only 46K on it. It is costing me nothing but Gas and maint at this point. It is our beater for vacations, baseball, soccer, basketball....etc. I coach 2 teams and throw a lot of dirty **** in the thing.....We are considering getting a new Sienna, but it would be a base sienna because I have found that all of the extras on this Honda are rarely used and quite often just a pain in the ass...Not to mention expensive these days!!!

So......I may just ride it out for a while longer and complain endlessly about the van and Honda
My experience with Honda has been pretty good. My wife has a 2003 Accord, which has been mostly problem free, although it only has about 50,000 miles on it. It had a rattle in the dash that the dealer tried to fix early on and ended up breaking the door to the console storage compartment (they can make it stay closed or stay open, but not do both). They fixed the rattle though. They were prepared to fix the console door by replacing the complete dash - which meant tearing everything from the firewall and rearward (dash parts only) out and replacing i . I didn't think they'd be able to get the job done right so I said no.

I'm driving a 2008 Sienna CE right now and it has had the following problems: loose seat track - drivers side, poor engine warm up in cold weather, noisy heater motor, defective tailgate struts, deformed plastic seat panel (back of driver's seat), transmission that feels like it is slipping at slow speeds if, as you are coming to a stop in a parking lot and then lift your foot off the brake and start to accelerate. Maintenance included, oil changes, and recently front brakes (36,000 miles).

The dealer was unable to correct the engine temp problem (so the van has poor heat) and says the transmission is behaving normally. All the rest of the stuff was fixed under warranty.

I'm sending this van to one of our field offices and replacing it with an EX RES. I'd have gotten an EX, but no one in my area has one. I got an invoice + $500 deal on the RES, the next best offer was invoice plus $1,100 for an EX. For $500, I took the RES.

I chose the Odyssey because I judge it to have a better interior layout and materials (including the middle 2nd row seat), better dash layout (including a usable rear camera display on the lower models - as compared to the Sienna) and more options for child seat installation. I don't give it great marks on exterior styling, but I spend 95% of my time inside the van, so as long as people don't regularly stop me in teh parking lot to tell me how ugly they think it is, I'll be fine. :)

I initially looked at the Touring model to get the 6 speed, but like you, I determined that we will never use most of the "stuff" the van comes with and it costs $13,000 more than an EX model.

Like some of the auto magazines have written, the Odyssey is a great van, but its best value is in the entry level models. The options I will miss are: XM radio, power rear lift gate, HID lights and the 6 speed (OK, I like the Touring's wheels and body coloured side sills too). If this van was "vault like" quiet driving down the road, I'd have been happy to call a Touring our new luxury family mover. With the high interior noise levels in both the Sienna and the Odyssey, for me, it just becomes a people mover, so a near base model works best for me.

Honda is selling a ton of EX-L's and Tourings, so I'm sure my opinion is in the minority. :)

I'm betting the 2012 models will come with a 6 speed. If it does and I find the improved acceleration necessary, I'll have my field rep sell the Sienna, I'll send the 2011 Odyssey out to him and get a 2012 Odyssey with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Thanks,

Shazzam
I worked my way up from cleaning bathrooms to managing a Ziebart location in Milwaukee in the mid 90's, I know all about this stuff. It DOES work when applied to the right locations and at the proper thickness. They still use the same "Formula Q" as they did over 20 years ago on the under carriage. When dry, its very much like dynamat but a little harder.

What cause my attention here is that they claim to remove the plastic within the fender. Not only did I never do this, but if it is done the spray can get on a lot of items that it should not. I highly doubt they really do this.

If they still charge around $200 for the underbody sound deadner application AND they do it right, its worth the money. But any more $$$...just walk away.

Do NOT buy any rust proofing packages or coating. Not at all worth it.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I worked my way up from cleaning bathrooms to managing a Ziebart location in Milwaukee in the mid 90's, I know all about this stuff. It DOES work when applied to the right locations and at the proper thickness. They still use the same "Formula Q" as they did over 20 years ago on the under carriage. When dry, its very much like dynamat but a little harder.

What cause my attention here is that they claim to remove the plastic within the fender. Not only did I never do this, but if it is done the spray can get on a lot of items that it should not. I highly doubt they really do this.

If they still charge around $200 for the underbody sound deadner application AND they do it right, its worth the money. But any more $$$...just walk away.

Do NOT buy any rust proofing packages or coating. Not at all worth it.
Rincon,

I just received an email back from Ziebart. they say that their soundproofing application reduces noise by "up to 60%". I'm not sure what that means, because it could literally mean 0% reduction to 60% reduction.

I don't know how long it has been since you've worked at Ziebart (you mentioned the 1990's), but at present, most modern cars have plastic wheel well liners inserted over the undercarriage sheet metal. I'm pretty sure the local dealer I spoke to said they remove and replace it when they apply the soundproofing. The fellow said that he couldn't recall whether it was Honda that used a "indoor/outdoor carpet like material (I think he might be referring to sone type of matting) in the wheel well. If so, he said they don't remove it.

I can't say that I have great expectations for this application, but if it is to work, the wheel well liners would have to be removed first and the technician would have to direct the spray to the appropriate under body and wheel well areas only. If you don't add the material to the wheel wells, I can't see application reducing noise.

Most of the noise must come from the "air rush" noise of the wheel turning in the wheel well as well as the sound of the tire hitting the road. While some noise might enter the cabin from stores hitting the undercarriage, the bulk of the noise comes from the wells. Since you can't spray the material over the liners, it must need to go behind it on the metal.

I'll know a bit more about the process after I speak to the local Ziebart dealer. For those interested, I can report back.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Has any automotive website or magazine done a test of the soundproofing? Like a before and after to see how many db was removed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts