Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
We had the SS '01 EX for two weeks now and we love it. Only minor problems so far: very slight pull to the right and slight vibration at high speed, dealer (Wade Raulerson in Gainesville, FL) said they'll fix it next week.
My question is about the armrests. The driver seat and the one behind it are ok, but the passenger seat and the one behind it have armrests a little lower (20-25 degrees lower than flat even, i.e. they kind of point the floor instead of being parallel to the floor.
I couldn't find anything in the manual. Is this the way Ody was designed or should I have them check that as well while I am there for the other things?
BTW, this forum is the best I have ever seen, Jim and all of you guys who share their experience here are doing a graet job. Thanks for such a friendly forum.
Elvan.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Elvan,
This might sound stupid but here goes...
Being that the arm rests mechanically follow the position of the backrest...Is it possible that the backrest is perpendicular to the floor in an upright position inturn causing the armrests to point downward? (pertaining to the seats that have a problem)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have noticed the same problem. The straighter the seat is the more the armrest points down. Because of the drivers seating position I use my arm rest has a slight tilt to it. A solution would be to remove the arm and reinstall it at a different starting point. I will try this next week whem my ody gets out of the shop.

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
I have noticed the same problem. The straighter the seat is the more the armrest points down. Because of the drivers seating position I use my arm rest has a slight tilt to it. A solution would be to remove the arm and reinstall it at a different starting point. I will try this next week whem my ody gets out of the shop.</font>
The arm rests are not really adjustable because the swing arc is physically controlled by two pins screwed into the seat back that ride in two slots in the arm rest around the pivot. You might be able to fill the end of the slot with epoxy or tape to limit the arc rotation to minimize the tilt of the arm rest in the down position but then your arm rest might feel like they are tilted up high when you recline your seat back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
Actually, the unevenness of the passenger side is not due to the recliner. I adjusted both the driver and passenger seatbacks to have the same angle, and then checked the armrests. Even then the right side (including second row) armrests were pointing lower.
I took it to the service this morning (plus pull to the right and vibration at high speeds). I will post tomorrow what they will say.
Elvan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer fixed all of the problems, except for the [email protected]@
They said it was normal and there is no way to adjust them.
They also suggested tho recline the passenger side seats a little to make the armrests flat even,....DUH!!! (I was planning to put wooden sticks underneath to support them...:)).
Anyway, if anyone else has the same problem, just learn to live with it. Actually, it's not that bad. I just wanted to have it perfect after paying $ 29,000.
Take care and drive safe.
Elvan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Many others have also posted about the pull to the right and vibration at higher speeds. What did they do to fix your's? I haven't experienced this (yet), but would like to know if they indeed got your problem fixed and what they diagnosed.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Elvan, I believe if you un-install the armrest and re-install it with the angle you want it; but make sure you adjust the seat to the right angle before re-install the armrest. It should fix the problem and parallel to the floor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
How do you un-install/re-install the armrest?? as we now have the same problem. We'll usually tackle most anything, but I'd like some reassurances first.
(Definitely won't touch electrical!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jamescanine,
They said the vibration was simply due to the out of balance front tires. They rotated them and balanced again, which solved the problem. Pull to the right however was more serious. They'll swap something in the front end next week, I remember them mentioning some crossbars or something like that (sorry, I am just a nerdy college prof.)
After that they will do the allignment again.

Coleman,
The way the armrests are attached to the seats makes it impossible to adjust them. There are only one set of openings, so I learned to live with them. Actually, the passenger seat would be more reclined most of the time anyway, which makes the problem barely noticable.

BTW, I also had a driver-side mirror that was shaking at high speed, blurry vision. They are getting me a new one as well. So far, I am satisfied with their service, except for the insulting "recline the seats more, then the armrests will be flat even" explanation.

Take care all, and drive safe.
Elvan.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Elvan, I don't know why the seat company installed the armrest differently. I checked mine out this morning. I stood all the seats up at the same angle, the armrests are all at the same angle. I'm pretty sure those dealer can fix it for you. They probably just being lazy since it not going to effect anything. If you really want to straigh it up, you'll probably have to dig into the seat back support and adjust the bolt/nut to straigh it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts