Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've now had my MB '02 EXL-RES for a little less than a week and we put about 250 miles on it this weekend. I really do love it, but my biggest complaint so far (besides a dead pixel on the LCD monitor) is the handlebar behind the front seat. This is an exceptional place for my 1 1/2 year old to rest her FEET! and kick me while I'm driving. This is absolutely driving me insane. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any solutions suggested? I am a big guy, so I really can't move up to much (I tried it, I was too close to the wheel, and she was still kicking me!) Her seat is all the way back, too. Has anyone taken off the handlebar? Can this be done with no real damage to the seat? Please help! Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I was a child (so I'm told), I never once even started to try something like that, for I did not want the disciplinary action that would be sure to follow.

I'd say before you mutilate your Ody, try convincing your daughter that putting her feet on up on the handlebar (or any part of the car) is not something you appreciate and therefore not in her best interests to do.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES w/ misaligned, hard to close driver door

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nope, I only have a two month old.

I do believe that you can teach an 18mo old to keep their feet off the expensive family car.

I've seen it done and very much hope I'm able to do it when the time comes =)

------------------

·
Registered
185 Posts
You definitely can teach "an" 18 month-old to keep his/her feet off the car. You just can't count on teaching yours! I wish you luck. (s***w the luck - I wish you fun!)

Hey, MagicRat - Aren't you glad you're getting so much help!

[This message has been edited by Gettin'AVan (edited 11-05-2001).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
I personally use chains and a combo lock on my kids (they kept picking the key type). I just saw a magazine that had a special cover for the back seats... to keep the car looking good if discipline won't work. If you want, I can give you the catalog info. That may not help your "kicking" problem, but it will keep the Ody intact.

You can always switch the seat to the passenger side... that way it becomes your wife's problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Actually... have you tried putting the second row in bench mode, and then placing your daughter in the passenger side-ish seat?

She may be far enough towards the middle to keep her legs from reaching anything other than the cup tray, which you can fold down.

just a thought that occured to me after reading cmt4's post.

------------------

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My youngest (then age 2 1/2) was kicking back of the seat when I was driving home on the tollway.

I told him that if he didn't stop right away, I would not carry him into the house on my shoulders when we got home (he liked to do that). He kept kicking the seat and after another warning I told him no shoulder ride.

When he complained, I told him, "If you don't behave, you have to live with the consequences."

The response, "But what if I don't want to live with the consequences?"

My answer, "That's just to bad."

Tears and loud screams!

Thinking something really bad had happened, I pulled over to the side of the tollway.

"What's the matter," I said when the car stops.

From the back seat comes, "I don't want to live with the Consequences. I want to live with you and mommy."

True story!

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green Grass stains and '01 White Laces w/ Frayed Tips

·
Registered
89 Posts
No bar behind the driver's seat on the LX.
removal should have been an option at the dealer's.
I'd slide the kid's seat way back!

I get really grumpy when the kids kick... especially in the new Odyssey!!! Fruit roll-ups NOT allowed!!

------------------

·
Registered
35 Posts
I feel your pain. I have a 2.5 year old who (fortunately) either cannot reach to do that or has not figured it out yet (I am a short woman though so I may be safe anyway). I have two suggestions. One, take off her shoes (she might still kick, but it might actually bother her feet and/or bother you less -- we did this on an airplane when we could not keep my son from kicking the seat of the poor unsuspecting stranger in front of us). Two, any chance you'd want to have her seated in the third row (you could take out the other captains chair to make the access easier)? It's too bad that at that age, she probably won't understand the threat of punishment as well as a 2.5 year old would. Good luck!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MagicRat:
Has anyone taken off the handlebar? Can this be done with no real damage to the seat? Please help! Thanks.</font>
Though I've never tried that, but according to Odyssey Service Manual (Helm manual) removing the handle won't damage your seat nor anything. In fact, it looks quite simple: Pry the two plastic caps on outer sides of the handle and then remove the two screws. Good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Telling my 3-year-old daughter to stop doing something like kicking the seatback is like a red rag to a bull! Its always ends up with 'timeout' or denial of treats!
I just ordered the seatback organizer from H and A. Hopefully that will serve double duty as a seatback protector.

Richard
'02 GG EX-L

·
Registered
596 Posts
In situations like this, it is really important to remember who the parent is!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
In situations like this, it is really important to remember who the parent is!

Jerry O.

</font>
EXACTLY! It is possible (and highly desirable) to teach children to obey Mom and Dad. Not perfectly or instantly of course, but teaching obedience and self control at an age appropriate level is achievable, even at 18 months. I have a 6 year old boy and an 8 year old girl (very strong willed) and while that does not make me an expert by any means, I can tell you that an occasional sore bottom goes a long way in dealing with open defiance and willful disobedience! Just my humble opinion!

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
More stuff on the way...
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah I hear you but my one girl just gives me this look that says "Daddy - some day I'll be bigger than you and I'll put you in a cheap nursing home!"

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree that every child is different, but I'm afraid that too often parents make the mistaken assumption that their children are too young to learn certain things, especially rules. As the mother of an extremely energetic, often rambunctious 4 year-old, I learned early on that one of my primary responsibilities as her parent is to set limits and enforce them -- patiently and consistently. I believe that at 18 months old, a child can and should be taught that a firm "no" and stern look from Mommy and Daddy are not to be easily ignored.

Of course, even when a child understands she's not allowed to kick the seat, she will still forget from time to time -- my daughter certainly does. So seat-back protectors are still a good idea.

------------------
Erika
'02 SS Ody EXL-RES
'95 Honda Accord LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
Yeah I hear you but my one girl just gives me this look that says "Daddy - some day I'll be bigger than you and I'll put you in a cheap nursing home!"</font>
LOL! When she's bigger than you, I really think she will thank you for being a great dad (and maybe put you in a nice nursing home)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes, that is a great story. The problem with letting the little ones "win" at that young age is that many of them grow up thinking the whole world will let them have their way, any time. We have all met those folks and often wish we had not. My children are 34 and 35 years old now and neither has ever complained that we were too oppressive as parents. They are now raising their own broods and it is fun to watch. They apply most of the same disciplines to theirs as we did to them. Of course, all this may fail, in some cases, but, I would sure feel bad if I did not try.....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 20 of 20 Posts