Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friend alternate our odysseys for trips we take together. I have a 2007 EX-L NAV&RES and he has 2011 Touring. We are planing a long trip this month and need to install a roof top box. The idea was to get the cross bars that would fit on both vans so that we can swap the bars along with the roof top box for each turn.

We are so confused with all those models out there, not sure if one set can safely fit both vans. Thule and Yakima fitment guides do not show anything for 2011 model. We are planning to get the sears x-cargo sports roof top box.

Can someone help us with the model and make of the universal cross bars we can go with? The idea is to share the cost 50/50, so if the shared cost of the suggested model exceeds the OEM rails (around $130 for 2011 and $200 for 2007) we probably will go with the OEM bars.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Does your friend's 2011 have the optional roof rails? If so, any set of cross bars that fit your 2007 *should* fit his 2011. I would take both cars when buying them to make sure, but any set that attaches to OEM roof rails (i.e. Thule 450) should work.

Nicolas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it is not true. 2007 and 2011 cross bars have different OEM numbers and the widths are different and so are the prices. I have just looked at Thule 450 on Amazon, and the foot pack itself costs $150 without the bars.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well, it is not true. 2007 and 2011 cross bars have different OEM numbers and the widths are different and so are the prices. I have just looked at Thule 450 on Amazon, and the foot pack itself costs $150 without the bars.
Sorry, never meant to talk about OEM bars, just third party (Thule, Yakima). So I should have written "If so, any set of 3rd party cross bars that fit your 2007 *should* fit his 2011."

The advantage of having a single set of bars is that you can just lift it off the car without having to remove and install the roof top box each time.

As to cost, yes, the 3rd party is expensive. :(

Nicolas

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks Nicolas.
WOnder why nobody in this forum mentions about unbranded crossbars sold on Amazon and elsewhere online, like the one below.
Amazon.com: Roof Rack Locking Cross Bars Honda CR-V, Odyssey, Pilot: Automotive
Don't know... I know I looked at getting some Thule a couple of months back for the service and the ability to use the same keys as on our bike racks.

Make sure to let us know if you do! :)

EDIT: BTW, does your buddy have the optional rails?

Nicolas

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a set of the yakima railgrab towers and crossbars and love the security (they aren't coming off if you don't want them to) and ease of use. The 58" crossbars that Yakima recommends should easily fit both vans, just check with a tape measure.

On a different note, I recommend going with either a Thule or Yakima box over the X-Cargo. I used a Sears box for years and always had to double check to make sure it wasn't opening up on me. A few years back, I looked for and found a used Yakima Skybox on craigslist and love it. It is lower and longer, as well as more aerodynamic. It also opens easily from either side and latches very securely with a good indication that it is latched.

Yes, the Thule or Yakima stuff is pricey, but it is worth the premium. You paid a premium for your van over a Dodge or Mazda, don't cheap out on the cargo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a bunch!

Seafarer76,

Thank you very much, it looks great. Appreciate your comments on the box, again exactly my thoughts. I think we will go with the bars and the box from Yakima.

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, but am I the only one who doesn't like the "look" of the non oem cross bars? I really hate seeing the bars stick out pass the roof rails like these aftermarket ones do. I get you that you get more real estate space, but isn't the roof wide enough already that the oem cross bars would be fine?

Do you leave the cross bars on when not using them or do you take them off? I guess that could be one benefit if you keep removing them but that can get annoying I guess.

Sorry for rant, this is more about looks when not actually lugging something on the rails, I think the oem ones would of course look much better when not in use.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I only use them when I have to haul extra crap. If I leave them on they have a tendency to howl at highway speeds.

Taking them on and off isn't a big deal. Certainly not enough to warrant buying the Honda crossbars and having them installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The oem cross bars aren't adjustable. The aftermarket bars are very easy to take on and off. If one really doesn't like the bars sticking way out, they can be trimmed down to length pretty easily.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have followed seafarer76's advice and got ourselves the Yakima 8000140 kit with Skybox 21. We will install them tomorrow on 2011 and see how they perform during this 5000 mile trip to Yellowstone!

I agree with Raistlin. I alsoy don't like the bars sticking out because we are so used to the flush look of OEM bars on majority of the Odys. The bars are coming off as soon as we are back from the trip and will be happily sitting in the basement until next trip!

·
Registered
2 Posts
volvo XC70 bars from 2006 fit too

I happened a set across craigslist today and they fit perfect, just like the SAAB bars. They are on 2007 odyssey touring. There is a special tool you will need to tighten them. They are 48" wide and have rubber in between. Work perfect. Lady that sold them had a canoe on them so they aren't perfect but they work great.

Took about 5 minutes to install and tighten. They are the square bars w/ a small volvo logo re-branded by Thule. Paid $50 bucks. Saved me about $300 bucks from buying other ones. Now onto the luggage rack / cargo carrier so the family can go on vacation and still open the cargo hatch for the baby's stroller... I also have a 2" hitch rack from pepboys 20"x60" that works perfect and is worth the $90 bucks w/ a 2" mount. I can put 3 coleman ice chests on the rack and still open the hatch w/o problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I happened a set across craigslist today and they fit perfect, just like the SAAB bars. They are on 2007 odyssey touring. There is a special tool you will need to tighten them. They are 48" wide and have rubber in between. Work perfect. Lady that sold them had a canoe on them so they aren't perfect but they work great.

Took about 5 minutes to install and tighten. They are the square bars w/ a small volvo logo re-branded by Thule. Paid $50 bucks. Saved me about $300 bucks from buying other ones. Now onto the luggage rack / cargo carrier so the family can go on vacation and still open the cargo hatch for the baby's stroller... I also have a 2" hitch rack from pepboys 20"x60" that works perfect and is worth the $90 bucks w/ a 2" mount. I can put 3 coleman ice chests on the rack and still open the hatch w/o problems.
I just want to clarify, you are saying crossbars from a 2006 XC70 do fit on a 2007 Ody.
I'm looking to see if the XC70 crossbars will fit a 2011 Ody. Can anyone confirm?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts