Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my glove box out to work on the DRL relay fix and took note of the cabin air filter after reading the long threads on it here. But I noticed what looks like another filter of some kind in a black box to the right of the cabin filter. It is approx. at 3:30 PM in this photo. The label on the box says Denso SOX A4.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=547241

It looks like a foam air filter of some sort. I could find no mention of it, nor can do a search since I don't know what it is called. My questions are:

1) What is this?
2) Is it a replaceable filter?
3) If so any instruction thread?

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I think you are referring to the blower motor to the right of the cabin air filter? The blower motor does not have a serviceable filter. But I did notice that the plastic bar is still intact going across the cabin air filter which indicates that this filter has never been changed since your van was new (in 2003?).

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
New Dad New Van said:
....But I did notice that the plastic bar is still intact going across the cabin air filter which indicates that this filter has never been changed....
Dad, you are truly a veritable Sherlock Holmes with uncanny powers of observation (yes, I'm saying I completely missed that still-intact plastic piece).

OF

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Perhaps this foam filter area on top of the blower is the mysterious intake for recirculation mode on the HVAC unit? I remember a post where someone was interested in the location of the intake when in Recirculation mode...

Maybe we learned something new again today?

As for the A/C cabin filter, I have done this a few times now so something in the photo did not look similar right away. I think I can even squeeze the filter past the metal bar without removing it out of the way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Seems like it is definitely the blower motor intake filter. On mine, it looks pretty dusty. All I can do is vacuum it and wait for someone to figure out how to clean/ replace it.

The cabin filter replacement is the filter change from hell! There is no way of getting the filter over the bar. It is the stupidist design I've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
cramar said:
It is the stupidist design I've ever seen.
Too bad you don't live closer. I'd show you the air filter and spark plugs on my RX8. Evidently the Honda engineer that designed the Ody cabin air filter in 1999 eventually went to work for Mazda. :stupid:

·
Registered
519 Posts
cramer,, there is another thread on how to do this, right out of the manual for the cabin air filter. involves cutting the plastic bar at the ends with a utility knife so as to remove it then unbolt the bar from the left side and bend it out of the way. that show i do it. unbolting it from the right side is rather a pain.

pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts