Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Poron unit earlier today...and I'm still trying to install it (5 hours later).

Don't get me wrong; Errol's directions were a snap & everything went without a hitch..except the damn thing doesn't work.

It continued to say '2 feet' constantly no matter what I did to the sensor angles prior to taking off the maskign tape. I then permantenly 'afixed' them w/ the double-sided tape thinking they were not on solid enough and then..it stopped making any sense at all.

It registers a 'beep' in reverse..then nothing...I get all the way up to a damn wall (literally 12 inches away) and it will say "8 feet" then go quiet. I ripped the sensor housings off the bumper (ruining the double-stick tape) and moved them to the very edge of the bumper...still nothing but bizarre results. I can put the car in reverse & put the emergency brake on & walk around & then start coming STRAIGHT at the car (center sensor) and sometimes when I'm on top of it; it might say either '12 inches' or 'in blind area' but nothing before that.

Piece of crap. Either the control unit is screwed or the sensors are screwed. Either way this is going back to autotoys and/or poron or diltronic or whoever they are now. I tried my damndest to troubleshoot all afternoon (reseating the connectors in the main unit; ensuring there were no crimped wires; pulling power & ground from the harness & re-attaching..I even went so far as to adjust the volume up for the beeper & voice.

Nothing.

I just seem to have all the luck. Either I'm just the world's worst modder or I just get all the defective products.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I wouldn't give up (on the modding) yet. It sounds like you just got a bad one. That kinda sucks, especially after five hours.
I sure hope the replacement works better for you.

Come to think of it, I had to do the ROSS twice, not because of defects, but because they sent me the wrong one. Now I wish I'd kept the "wrong" one. The "right" one works fine, but it's sensitive enough that it warns a little too soon. The non-sensitive version gave me a close proximity warning at 12 inches. This one is on solid at about 4-5 feet. Too bad they're not adjustable.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Sunds like a lemon,Marvyn. That's the problem with inexpensive products, specially those made in Taiwan,etc. It seems that not a whole lot of them work.No QC. I guess it's all luck with buying them.
Don't worry, you'll get some other system up.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Marvyn,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your set.

You've probably checked and double checked these but thought I'd offer them just in case:

* Plug for the middle sensor is labeled near the end of the wire. This needs to be connected to the middle sensor plug in the control unit. And of course, the middle sensor needs to be the one installed in the middle.

* Make sure the sensor connectors are securely plugged into the control module plugs. When I initially installed the connectors to the plugs, I noticed that they were loose. They hardly made contact with the plug wires. Hmmmm... that seem odd, I thought. That wouldn't work too well. Looking at it closer, I realized they were not really plugged in yet. They were just in the channel. You have to push them in further to latch them in place. When you hear the click, that's when you know they're really plugged in.

Not sure if above is of any help, but just in case...

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

[This message has been edited by errol (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple of comments (since I've cooled off a bit.) ;-)

Yes Errol I paid very careful attention to those things you mentioned; also making sure the left and right sensors were plugged into the left & right ports on the controller (not that that part matters I suppose) and I did notice you had to push until it 'clicked' to be properly seated.

- its good that now I know how to pull the rear plastic parts of the Ody off; getting more familiar w/ the vehicle
- practice never hurts

- your directions were spot-on..*IF* I ever get this thing installed I'd add a couple of observations such as when you pull the rear plastic panel off to feel for '10' pops as each of the plastic bolts release and make sure you've got all 10 still on the panel; I had 3 that were still attached to the vehicle when I was done that I had to pull off and put on the plastic part.
- running the wires was SO EASY! I knew you said that but I was still expecting it to be harder than it was; you can practically reach the hole with you fingers to push the wire through. Initially finding the hole was simple as well; after I took the plastic grommet off, I stuck a screwdriver in it and when I was underneath I looked for the screwdriver sticking out.
- did you test w/ the masking tape on; or actually attach them 'for-real'? I ask because I couldn't get the making tape to form a good enough attachment (housing kept drooping) so I went ahead & put them on to do further testing
- the double-sided sticky tape is VERY strong; even after I pulled them off 3 times; reattaching them made them hard to pull off each time...plus they came off without so much as a pin-head of glue left on either the bumper or the sensor housing each time.

Anyway, Chuck made me feel better; I shouldn't expect everything to go perfectly all the time; I was just hoping to have better luck with this after my poor job of wrapping the steering wheel.

Not be discouraged; today is another day! I'll shoot to do the glovebox light today or tmmorrow. That should be an easy one to get right (rolling eyes) and will make me feel the holidays wasn't a complete waste; mod-wise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts