Honda Odyssey Forum banner

241 - 249 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi! New member here.

We bought a 2001 Odyssey for Christmas. We bought it from a Toyota dealership and it was in great shape! Only 131,000 miles on it and no apparent transmission issues. It's our first minivan and we love it!

I only have a couple of issues and they involve the sliding doors.

#1: have any of you had an issue with the doors freezing shut in the winter? It happened 4 times this winter! It was unpleasant trying load an infant seat through the front door :/. I tried heating the car up, but that did always work. One time, it ran for 40 min and still wouldn't open! I live in VA, so not the coldest place ever. Is there a solution to this?

#2: the driver's side door locks itself. I though my daughter was locking it, accidently or otherwise, but now it's starting to stay locked when I unlock the car. Not every time though.

The absolute only things I'm not a fan of on this vehicle are the inconveniently located top tethers for the 3rd row, though it's not currently an issue for us, and the fit of the center shoulder belt for the 3rd row. It doesn't feel safe.

Otherwise, we love our van! We even named it Winnie the Minivan.
#1. Had same problem when I bought 2001 LX, (manual doors) new. Back then owners had same problem. Their fix, was to lube the gaskets, rubber
material then goes around the door opening.

In my case, the Dealer, replace the rubber "gaskets" molding that go around the sliding door. FIXED the problem. If you can find my old posts
I posted the Honda part numbers of the molding.

Good luck on the tranny. I'm on my 4th. Have 180,000 miles on engine. You can find a good tranny rebuild for reasonable price. Only paid
$1900 on 4th tranny rebuild.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm haven't had luck with the search so forgive me if this is a repeat question.

Our 2001 has 250,000+ miles. Front left strut spring broke. Original struts and springs.

Van is now used as a 2nd vehicle. Will not get long trips, 200+ miles or more.

Will change the entire assembly. I'm messing with changing just the spring. It's dangerous and besides, it has 250,000 miles on it...they're due.

I will do this myself.

Question:

What brand would be recommended?

Friends have suggested Rock Auto website...
2001 HONDA ODYSSEY 3.5L V6 Strut / Coil Spring / Mount Assembly | RockAuto

I saw assemblies from $73 to $154. I'm leaning toward the KYBs for $132 a piece.

Thoughts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, bought the KYBs.

Thankfully, the installation went well with the help of "Eric the Car Guy" YouTube video....

I did have a broken spring that was not contained by the strut caps. Lifting the van allowed the strut to expand far enough where there was minimal tension left.

Rides well. I tend to agree with the need not to get an alignment. It was actually pulling to the left. Now it rides pretty straight with a slight pull to the right.

Money saved.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Hello? Anyone home? Just popped in to say hello. Still see some familiar posters around...
Daily driver still a Civic (or ACURA EL to be specific) and still holding together nicely. Miss the Ody's space and functionality but not the transmission :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
We bought our 2001 Odyssey new in Aug 2001. We currently have just over 90,000 miles on it. The transmission is still working fine (knock on wood). Had the struts replaced recently. The rear brakes were squeaking and had the drums replaced. Most everything else has been working OK. Just routine maintenance. Had a chipmunk chew through a wiring harness once but that wasn't the Ody's fault. ;)

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
We bought our 2001 Odyssey new in Aug 2001. We currently have just over 90,000 miles on it. The transmission is still working fine (knock on wood). Had the struts replaced recently. The rear brakes were squeaking and had the drums replaced. Most everything else has been working OK. Just routine maintenance. Had a chipmunk chew through a wiring harness once but that wasn't the Ody's fault. ;)
Hopefully you had the timing belt combo replaced. If not, it is way overdue, time-wise.
Sounds like you are enjoying it.
Did you ever replace the cabin air filter? Just asking, because many didn't know it even had one. :eek:
Enjoy,
Buffalo4
PS: Damn chipmunks!!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully you had the timing belt combo replaced. If not, it is way overdue, time-wise.
Sounds like you are enjoying it.
Did you ever replace the cabin air filter? Just asking, because many didn't know it even had one. :eek:
Enjoy,
Buffalo4
PS: Damn chipmunks!!! :)
Buf, Yep, timing belt replaced and cabin air filter replaced several times. Clock light is burned out but I don't care. I don't feel like tearing the dash board apart to replace a bulb. Trapped those chipmunks and transported them to a park three miles away!

241 - 249 of 249 Posts
About this Discussion
248 Replies
104 Participants
myrefrigerantma
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing