Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the P1457 code for about a year, that I mostly ignored because I didn't want to tackle the evap system.

Come April of this year and we decided to sell our 99 Odyssey, so I figured I should probably figure it out or have an awful time trying to sell it.

I took apart the entire evap system trying to find the bad component. I leak tested and operation tested (12v) every solenoid in the system. I even leak checked the canister, to no avail. Everything tested out fine.

So I started to disassemble the two way valve assembly and lo and behold.

A hairline crack in the tubing between the fuel tank pressure sensor and the two way valve.

#48 in this picture.

It all makes sense, since the ECU checks for leaks using the fuel tank pressure sensor when the system is under vacuum. If the tubing to the sensor is leaking, those readings will always be faulty.

80 cents of vacuum hose later (and 4 hours of sweat and tears) and code has been off for 300 miles and van sold.

I thought I should post this as a warning to others. Be careful about replacing the expensive solenoids before thoroughly inspecting the tubing, especially around the fuel tank pressure sensor!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yesterday my engine light went on & I was able to get to my Canadian Honda dealer. They read codes P1457 EVAP LEAK SYSTEM. Preformed Function Test Twice. Evap System is normal.
It cost $63. I am leaving for a 8,000 km trip to the USA next week. The dealer said if the light comes back on go visit a USA Honda dealer to let them check the system. My 2002 Odyssey (bought new) has 367,000 kms (223,600 miles). Perahps it time to get a 2014 Odyssey. My wife & I are both retired and the new prices scare us. Do any of you on this forum fix and keep their Odysseys until it drops at 500,000 miles or more hopefully not paying a fortune to fix them?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday my engine light went on & I was able to get to my Canadian Honda dealer. They read codes P1457 EVAP LEAK SYSTEM. Preformed Function Test Twice. Evap System is normal.
It cost $63. I am leaving for a 8,000 km trip to the USA next week. The dealer said if the light comes back on go visit a USA Honda dealer to let them check the system. My 2002 Odyssey (bought new) has 367,000 kms (223,600 miles). Perahps it time to get a 2014 Odyssey. My wife & I are both retired and the new prices scare us. Do any of you on this forum fix and keep their Odysseys until it drops at 500,000 miles or more hopefully not paying a fortune to fix them?
Nonsense! Keep it (if you like it)

First thing, the P1457 code will never leave you stranded. It is simply an emission control system that prevents vapor from the fuel tank from being vented to the atmosphere.

I'm not sure what entails the function test. But if its anything like my experience.. I tore down the entire system and tested all the solenoids and the canister, of which were good.

If you take it to a competent mechanic (who won't just blindly replace the solenoids). Even if it is the solenoids, it should be fixable between $300-400.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For P1457, one of the first things to check would be the EVAP bypass solenoid valve itself. Use a voltmeter check the resistance of the valve, it should read 32 ohms ± 2 ohms. If it is lower than 30 Omega, then there is a short inside due to salt in the winter. Mine was close to 0 when it was replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts