Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So out of curiosity how does one find out if they've got the latest revision of the transmission software available?

I called Honda Canada inquiring about any recall campaigns our van might have and they said any outstanding recalls have been performed.

Reason why I ask is that sometimes when the van downshifts when going down a hill or when coming to a stop the downshifts are rather abrupt sometimes and its a little concerning that this could be damaging the tranny.

The van has just a little over 100, 000kms and drives great otherwise. Tranny oil has been changed every 50, 000kms by the original owner.

I am tempted to book an appointment with Honda for a software update but I'm not sure if they'll even consider doing it IF there isn't any major issues with it now.

Thoughts?
Thanks,

·
Registered
513 Posts
There have been a couple of updates, but none since last year I think. Plenty of threads on that...

If you don't know if it has been updated, might be a good idea to have them check.

Nicolas

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the issues is however, is how does one know if it has been updated and are the updates necessarily relevant or necessary for all vans?

I know that in 2008 there was an update for the odyssey but I don't have any history on whether or not the update were actually required (as I would've thought they would have recalled cars like my sisters CR-V for severe software issues).

Has anyone had any negative consequences by doing a tranny software update?

Thanks,

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't know of a way to know whether an update has been done except by looking at the service history or actually pulling the version from the van's computer.

Nicolas

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I left a message with Honda to call me back.

Hoping that a service foreman I know there will pull out his HDS to let me know what version it is and possibly update it for me on the spot.

Is there such a thing as a PCM/Engine update too?
Thanks,

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is there such a thing as a PCM/Engine update too?
My understanding is that it's one unit for the engine and transmission, so it's all updated at once.

Nicolas

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ran into the service foreman at Honda. Turns out my software was older. Update was for torque converter lock up issues. Update was loaded on but I came back to read that the update can actually screw thing up. Hope that mine stays good from this point on as I didnt really have issues before.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the issue you describe (same mileage too on an 07 EX). Its normal, in the manner you describe.

The PCM software update actually fixes a judder issue caused by torque converter lockup and this is MUCH more noticeable.

Not doing the PCM update actually increases the risk you may have Torque Converter issues down the road.

·
Registered
205 Posts
the issues is however, is how does one know if it has been updated and are the updates necessarily relevant or necessary for all vans?

I know that in 2008 there was an update for the odyssey but I don't have any history on whether or not the update were actually required (as I would've thought they would have recalled cars like my sisters CR-V for severe software issues).

Has anyone had any negative consequences by doing a tranny software update?

Thanks,
Just an FYI, the transmission update was a safety recall here in the lower 48. It was issued at the same time as the recall for the soft brakes.

As far as any negative, it just got better for me. The shift points changed and became noticable for the better during snow storms. Prior to the updated software I had to keep the trans in 2 or D3 pretty much all the time. After the software update, only had to go to 2 when pulling away from a light at an icy intersection.

Hope that helps you feel better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts