Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i've searched and searched but have not found an answer so i am posting a new thread.

i have a 2007 ex-l with 16 inch wheels. the factory tires p235/65r16 are the worst tires i have ever used in snowy conditions. i would like to upgrade to some nokians and ii want to buy dedicated winter rims. my thought is to use some 17 inch ridgeline wheels. this gives me a better tire selection. i am considering the hakka r suv model. my problem is choosing the proper width tire. any suggestions?

245/65r17? other??

·
Registered
755 Posts
Typically, people lower the widthness with winter tires (for instance, with 17" wheels, a set of 225/65-17 tires) because you want less footprint on the snow for more traction. And since you have an EX model, you might run into a tpms proble if your vehicle is equipped with it. I'm not sure if you're vehicle is equipped with it though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EX does have TPMS but I wish I could get rid of it. I think I have located some take-off rims that should fit. If I get something on the van I'll try to post a pic of the new set-up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i ended up getting some rims off ebay. they are take-offs from either a ridgeline or pilot. my summer set is 16 inch alloys with p235/65r16 michelins (i think i will go with a different tire design when these are worn down). my new snows are 17 inch with nokian hakkapelitta r suv 235/65r17. the new wheels are 1/2 inch wider and the tires are 1 inch taller but they fit nicely and ride well. (just have to be aware that my speedo is off a few mph at highway speeds).

winter snow/slush/etc. handling has improved drastically. the hakka r have low rolling resistance and i have not noticed mpg degradation.

i have pics if anyone is interested...

·
Registered
120 Posts
As it turns out, TPMS sensors are identical for the following cars from Honda/Acura.
Odyssey Touring 2005-2007
Ridgeline 2006-2008
Pilot 2006-2008
MDX 2006
RL 2006-2008
TL 2006-2008
There may be more years than listed above but those years are for sure. So, if you get wheels from any vehicle listed above, the TPMS should work with the Odyssey Touring. Not all the cars listed share the same bolt pattern. However, the Odyssey, RL and the Ridgeline does. So my thought is purchase new aftermarket wheels for the Ridgeline, get TPMS for the Ridgeline and then buy tires that is more suited for the Odyssey.

As we know, Tirerack won't even talk to you if you tell them that you have an Odyssey Touring. But what if you tell them you have a 2006 Ridgeline. Order 17" or 18" Ridgeline wheels, order the TPMS sensor for the 2006 Ridgeline then order tires size that is more suited for the Odyssey. Tirerack will warn you that the tire size you ordered is not the recommended size for the Ridgeline but if you tell them you know and still want that size, they will sell them to you. Fortunately, the Ridgeline tire size and the Odyssey tire size is fairly close so it won't seem too odd to Tirerack. Now we know that the Ridgeline wheels fit the Odyssey without a problem. We seen several post in this thread as other threads that that has been done.

I've already done this. I ordered 18" wheels for a 2006 Ridgeline, ordered the TPMS also for the 2006 Ridgeline and got tires sized more appropriate for the Odyssey. Everything fits like a charm. Even the TPMS synced up with my Touring after about 5 minutes of driving. Now I have a depax set of wheels for way less than I would have paid for a new set of PAX Michelins from the stealership. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here are some pictures of my '06 Odyssey Touring with new wheels from Tirerack. The wheels are Sport Edition TX5 18" and the tires are BFGoodrich Radial T/A size 245/55R18. The wheels are flush with the body and fill the wheel well much better. I always thought that the OEM wheels were too small and too sunken in into the body. Total cost to have it shipped to my door: $1088. This includes the TPMS sold and installed by Tirerack plus all the lug nuts, lug nut socket, centering ring, center cap. I tried to install the original Honda center cap. The hole is the right size but the clips that hold it in place don't grip anything so it just pops back out. I guess you can get creative and glue them in place on the back side but that's too much trouble for me. New wheels and lug nuts need a "break in" period so I'll re-torque them after a week or so and every so often after that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pacanes...do you like your mud guards? do they keep spray down? my snows are on ridgeline wheels and are wider than the originals...they stick out and throw crap all over the sides of the van.

·
Registered
120 Posts
pacanes...do you like your mud guards? do they keep spray down? my snows are on ridgeline wheels and are wider than the originals...they stick out and throw crap all over the sides of the van.
The mudflaps came with the van when new. They help but it's not perfect. I still get crap on the bottom of the van, just further back from the wheel well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts