Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 EX-L with 135K.
Bought back in April 2021. I am the 3rd owner.

Recently upgraded Interior Lights to LED and replaced Headlight Bulbs both Low & High Beams to LED. Also replaced worn out Map light switches which are notorious in these models. Fairly easy DIY, however getting to the High Beams/DRLs was a pain.

Products used:

Interior + License Plate LED Bulbs Set
18 x White LED Lights Interior Package Kit for Honda Odyssey 2011 - 2017 + Tool | eBay

Headlights (Low & High Beam)

Anti Flicker/Code Cancelling Capacitor for High Beams(DRL)

Reverse Lights

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
THIS^^^

The couple attempts I made at using LED for DRL were a fail.

dash lights, and parking sensors going bananas because the LED and code cancelling devices weren't effective and sending junk on the canbus.

BTW, most of these lenses aren't designed for LED's, so yes you have nice bright white light for your low beams but are likely blinding everyone.
Maybe less so with the EXL projectors for the low beams, I have the touring with the HID's.

The reason I wanted LED on the DRL, is because I was tired of burning out high beam bulbs every 8 months.
just using cheap xenon bulbs from amazon now, instead of the expensive osram / sylvania ones.

I noticed on my interior LED conversion, the rear reading lights needed low profile bulbs or the cover would not fit back on.
Did that kit from "ebay" come with different size bulbs?

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the DRL dimmed for real or it's just like high beam without flickers?
I doubt that its dimmed. Hard to really tell apart during the day time. I leave mine on auto, so when its dark enough the regular Low Beams kick in, turning off the DRLs.

Also another thing I came across while installing was that the DRL's are only engaged if the Parking Brake is released. Something to remember when you are testing them.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THIS^^^

The couple attempts I made at using LED for DRL were a fail.

dash lights, and parking sensors going bananas because the LED and code cancelling devices weren't effective and sending junk on the canbus.

BTW, most of these lenses aren't designed for LED's, so yes you have nice bright white light for your low beams but are likely blinding everyone.
Maybe less so with the EXL projectors for the low beams, I have the touring with the HID's.

The reason I wanted LED on the DRL, is because I was tired of burning out high beam bulbs every 8 months.
just using cheap xenon bulbs from amazon now, instead of the expensive osram / sylvania ones.

I noticed on my interior LED conversion, the rear reading lights needed low profile bulbs or the cover would not fit back on.
Did that kit from "ebay" come with different size bulbs?
Yes I do have an EX-L with the projectors; hopefully not blinding anyone 😢. I hardly ever use the High Beams but went ahead and switched them out anyways for aesthetics.

The halogen lows & highs that the van came with were trash; almost a safety concern.

The interior light kit from eBay surprisingly came with all the correct sizes and counts. Only one the kit lacks is a small Type '74' bulb for the Glove Compartment; great value nonetheless.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the same ones for my low beams and I can confirm that the beams are very nice and well-defined so they will not blind incoming traffic. I have not changed my hi beams because LEDs don't play too well with reflector type.

Can you take a picture of your hi beams against the wall and post it?

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same ones for my low beams and I can confirm that the beams are very nice and well-defined so they will not blind incoming traffic. I have not changed my hi beams because LEDs don't play too well with reflector type.

Can you take a picture of your hi beams against the wall and post it?

I'll try to get some pictures. Putting in LED reverse lights as well later today. I hear it helps a lot with the Back Up Camera at night.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks. Very nice pictures.

I guess the other option is just to leave your light switch to "low beam" all the time instead of DRL. Remember that "Auto" refers to automatic DRL/Low depending on the lighting condition but the on/off is always automatic. I means you can put it in "Low" and it will turn off by itself as well.

If you do this then you will never blind incoming traffic since it's just low beam. Use the hi beam when you need it only. Power draw should not be a problem as LED uses less energy anyway.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 2015 Touring. It's getting harder to see at night. I turn the light switch on past the auto at night but it does not add any more light intensity. What LED works for the 2015 touring?

I plan to replace my inside lights to LED. This thread is helpful.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2015 Touring. It's getting harder to see at night. I turn the light switch on past the auto at night but it does not add any more light intensity. What LED works for the 2015 touring?

I plan to replace my inside lights to LED. This thread is helpful.
@MMCD the 2011 to 2015 is going to be the same architecture. You should be able to purchase the types listed at the top of this thread.

Best of luck 👍

·
Registered
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The interior is the same but I thought the headlights are different between EXL and Touring.
I believe the Touring just has HID bulbs, but Housing and wiring should be same as EXL.
@ialam Can you confirm that the DRL is in fact dimmer compared to the regular high beam?
@Nhu I checked again this morning, and unfortunately the Bulbs I used for the High Beam don't get any dimmer when used as DRL.

If one would like to disable DRL altogether, just pull Fuse '27' from the fuse box under the steering.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,134 Posts
The interior is the same but I thought the headlights are different between EXL and Touring.
No, US LX through Touring have the same headlights. Only the Touring Elite has the HID headlights. In Canada, the Touring trim does have HID, but they don't have a Touring Elite trim (their Touring is basically our Touring Elite).

-Charlie

Reactions: ialam

·
Registered
305 Posts
@Nhu I bought a pair of cheap ones off ebay, $7 for 2 50hertz 6ohm resistors. I got the kinds with the harness built in so I wouldn't have to tap into existing wires. The DRLs are dimmed regardless of whether the load resistors are attached or not though.

The load resistors only serve the purpose of clearing the "DRL" error light on the instrument cluster. Without them, the LEDs consume such a small amount of power when they are dimmed that the canbus system sees a burnt out bulb. The error only exists when they are in DRL mode. They are always dimmed when in DRL mode.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just want to make sure I understand: The LED you bought are dimmed without the load resistors. I take that the LED is dimmed because it is on lower voltage. The only reason you have the load resistors is so to avoid the CANBUS error.

Can you send the link for the LED?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just want to make sure I understand: The LED you bought are dimmed without the load resistors.
Correct.

And here are the LEDs I bought. However as a disclaimer, I had an issue where the first set of bulbs I bought had one flickering light. After talking to customer support I did get 2 free replacement bulbs that work fine though. I'm happy with them now, but I did not enjoy the process.

And the load resistors are just like these:

I did buy the same brand of LEDs for my wife's Honda Fit and she loves them, and there have been no issues.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts