Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seal on upper ball joint is badly cracked and the joint squeels. Time to replace. Should I just replace the control arm including BJ or just the BJ?

What about the lower while I'm at it?

·
Registered
451 Posts
When I did mine, I did only uppers since lowers seemed tight still. I did the entire upper arm to make it easier.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the upper just a matter of 2 bolts attaching the arm and the ball joint itself? Remove those 3 and replace? Any tricks to be aware of?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Was the upper just a matter of 2 bolts attaching the arm and the ball joint itself? Remove those 3 and replace? Any tricks to be aware of?
Its been a while & my memory isnt getting any younger. Also I dont remmber anything terrible about the task or helpfull tricks, pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to do the left control arm / ball joint as the boot is cracked and Ody has 270K. Should I do the right at the same time or is it ok to leave it for now? Given the mileage generally I'm the mode of replacing only if required vs nice to do.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Going to do the left control arm / ball joint as the boot is cracked and Ody has 270K. Should I do the right at the same time or is it ok to leave it for now? Given the mileage generally I'm the mode of replacing only if required vs nice to do.
I feel the same as you, but if budget is tight then do just what is necessary & then plan on other side asap. Also your alignment may be affected, since it may have been adjusted when they were worn to compensate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not cost so much, just that at the mileage of the vehicle I'm backing off putting anything into it that isn't absolutely necessary. If the tranny goes or something else big, I don't want to have 100s in it. I replaced the left steering bellow - probably should do the other side, but as long as it's not torn, I'm gonna leave it be. I've done similar for wheel bearings. Replaced the bad one, but let the other be. Temp guage sensor is likely bad and distributor o-ring I think is the cause of one leak. Got the o-ring part. I definitely have alignment issues. I'll get a free check after the control arm to see how bad. I'm running "buffet" tires at the moment. One of each. Lol. Gravel roads, worn suspension, you name it - tires take a beating. I don't feel any play but something has to be causing the tire wear. When I replaced the bellow I heard the squeel in the upper ball joint and saw the boot badly cracked.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced left. Simple. Castle nut, strike to release ball joint, remove 2 nuts to remove control arm. Install new Moog.

So much for not doing the right side. Boot is badly cracked. The wear consistency is remarkable.

Any other suspension parts I should inspect before an alignment?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts