Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the inventory of a local Houston dealer and found this VIN:
5FNRL18652B000075
I take it that this means it is from AL.
I thought 1 was for US. From the number, it seems to be an early one off of the line...
Eric
'02 GG EX-L 1100 Miles
'97 MB Contour SE 74k Miles

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
In the first character:<ul>[*]2 = Honda Canada[*]5 = Honda Alabama[/list]

In the 11th character (factory code)<ul>[*]B = Lincoln, Alabama, US[*]H = Ontario, Canada[/list]

Regards,

Maugham<font color=pink><font size=-5><center>

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Registered
60 Posts
That also means that the VIN you looked at was I believe the 75th Ody to be manufactured at the Alabama plant. I have the 475th Ody to come out that plant which is as far as I'm concerned still pretty close to plant startup. No problems with mine so far. I would be concerned with a VIN that close to the startup of the factory. As with any large scale manufacturing facility tools and processes improve as problems are found. Usually you don't want the first few vehicles out of any new facility for that very reason.

Scott

[This message has been edited by ExFordOwner (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ExFordOwner:
...Usually you don't want the first few vehicles out of any new facility for that very reason.</font>
Honda knows that startups have problems, that's why I believe that they increase Quality Assurance during the ramp-up phase at the plant. I expect that they have more inspections and are more willing to reject an assembly or vehicle. So, I don't know if the "first off the line" risk is as great as it once was.

BTW, I got a Thursday car, which is supposed to be one of the better days on which to have a car built
When I was growing up, we heard that one should avoid cars built on weekends (lower seniority employees), Mondays (hangovers), or Fridays (early departures). I hope that old carbuyers' tale is no longer true (if it ever was).

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
55 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
BTW, I got a Thursday car, which is supposed to be one of the better days on which to have a car built
When I was growing up, we heard that one should avoid cars built on weekends (lower seniority employees), Mondays (hangovers), or Fridays (early departures). I hope that old carbuyers' tale is no longer true (if it ever was).
</font>
It's the work mentality of all people who work 9-5 Monday throu Friday jobs.

Monday - no one really works. Remembers what they did Friday. Prepare to start work.
Tuesday - actual start working
Wednesday - Tries to finish work
Thursday - Thinks about plans for the weekend.
Friday - cleans up desk and prepares for the weekend.

So the best time is on a Tuesday or a Wednesday.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It should be interesting to follow the future postings to see if Americans can built a Honda as good as or better than the Canadians.
How many Japanese managers/supervisors do you think oversee the Lincoln plant?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dkinne:
It should be interesting to follow the future postings to see if Americans can built a Honda as good as or better than the Canadians.</font>

I wouldn't take positive or negative posts here as a valid indication of plant quality.

The sample size of the posters is extremely small compared to the population of Ody owners. Too, unhappy people tend to post more than happy people, so we may never hear many success stories.

IMHO, a forum such as this is good to get a subjective feel for things, but compare two factories? Very hard to do without cold hard facts and lots of data!

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
57 Posts
As I recall there was a news release earlier saying that the first 50 units at the AL plant were run thru to check everything out and give the workers a chance to get the feel of things. I think the same item said the first unit was to be placed in a visitors area there at the plant.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maugham, how do you know when your car was built? My dealer gave me a 5 day range when it would be built, but I never find the exact day it was built.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RonD:
Maugham, how do you know when your car was built? My dealer gave me a 5 day range when it would be built, but I never find the exact day it was built.</font>
The day we picked it up, the dealer showed me a report which showed the date on which it had been built. Prior to the car being built, he was only able to provide the expected week of assembly.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow, number 89 is available to me here in Ohio. 5FNRL18652B000089

I've afraid to bite on it, just the 89th made.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BobN:
Wow, number 89 is available to me here in Ohio. 5FNRL18652B000089

I've afraid to bite on it, just the 89th made.
</font>
Maybe the earliest units get better Quality Assurance testing?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Maybe the earliest units get better Quality Assurance testing?</font>
Yea, I guess I never thought of it that way, but that may be just the case....

I just signed on a TW Ontario, though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In the first character:<ul>[*]2 = Honda Canada[*]5 = Honda Alabama[/list]

In the 11th character (factory code)<ul>[*]B = Lincoln, Alabama, US[*]H = Ontario, Canada[/list]</font>

The info below was copied from a post by ody2002 in this forum on 09/27/2001 and I believe it is accurate after having compared VIN numbers at a local Honda dealer:

No, "1" doesn't mean US plant. 5 = US plant.

Here's how to read your 2002 Odyssey VIN:

Position 1~3 =
5FN: US Honda, multi-purpose passenger vehicle
2HK: Canada Honda, multi-purpose passenger vehicle

Position 4~6 =
RL1: Odyssey

Position 7 =
8: 5 door

Position 8 =
0: EXL-RES
5: LX
6: EX