Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used USAA or Sam's Club auto buying program for Honda Odyssey Touring?

What was your experiences? Would you do it again? Any helpful tips?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We priced out that exact same van through USAA and then found a dealer who gave us a much better deal. You don't get the "package" that comes with it when you get it through USAA (wheel locks, scotch guard, etc), but the USAA price was like 2k over what we could get at that dealer and the USAA package they were throwing in was like $500. We opted to just go through the dealer and then add on the options that we wanted.

Bottom line, it never hurts to get the USAA pricing. It is part of the "shopping around" process! :) Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We bought ours through the USAA program. It was hands down the best car buying experience we've had. The dealer is restricted (they said) by USAA from using a bunch of the dealer tricks, like overpriced paint protection or undercoating or way overmarked mandatory accessories...

What you are quoted is what you get. We were even able to get the dealer to drop the price (not a normal USAA perk) on the Honda Care warranty.

In the end, we got our van with the 7yr/120,000 mile warranty for right at MSRP.

Check other locations you are willing to drive to. We found a pretty good variance in the discounted pricing within a 200 mile radius.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cannot comment on USAA but I checked both Sam's club and Costco as we have memberships to both. Bottom line was it was a better deal to work direct. I have two dealers that I trust and have worked with in the past and they both laughed when I mention these discount programs. They showed me the prices (higher) and would have happily sold me my vehicle at those pricing levels. You will almost always get a better deal working from known quantities like dealer cost and invoice price rather than unknowns like super secret discount pricing lists like Costco.

The only advantage I could see is if you really wanted to purchase the vehicle from a dealer that is known for price gouging and that would not be wise as they always find a way to make it up later.

JD

·
Registered
15 Posts
recently bought with usaa. i wanted a specific car and color combination, and so wasn't really interested in negotiating. i knew it would be tough since apparently when i got my 2012 black exl, there was only 2 in the southeast with the truffle interior. it was driven up from macon.
i called around to other dealers after i had my usaa quote, the other dealers laughed at me and said they wouldn't even match it. some of the honda's come with this bogus package - pin stripe, window security etching, and mud flaps for $500! ussa cuts it down to $180. its a racket, but every car they sell comes with it (from a few dealer here). (especially since the first thing i had them due was remove the pin stripe!). loved my sales guy, who doesn't get paid on commission but rather volume.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I kinda used USAA. After getting the list of dealers I found all of them were far away, there are 5 closer, easy. So I asked one of the closer dealers who hasn't pissed me off yet if they would match it. They did and I am just waiting for delivery. For a 2012 Touring Elite I am paying $42,351 plus TTL. that was the best of the USAA prices.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone used USAA or Sam's Club auto buying program for Honda Odyssey Touring?

What was your experiences? Would you do it again? Any helpful tips?
I used USAA. It was sooo easy. This was my first NEW car purchase and I would absolutely use USAA again. It's through zag.com, but we got a great deal with not haggling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I kinda used USAA. After getting the list of dealers I found all of them were far away, there are 5 closer, easy. So I asked one of the closer dealers who hasn't pissed me off yet if they would match it. They did and I am just waiting for delivery. For a 2012 Touring Elite I am paying $42,351 plus TTL. that was the best of the USAA prices.
We played a similar game last year. I was in contact with about a dozen dealers the day USAA/Zag pricing was released. The closest one in the "network" wasn't in the same state, so I asked if any local dealers would honor the price - only one agreed, but they couldn't secure the vehicle. We ended up taking the drive out-of-state to pick up ours and paid slightly more than what we "should" have, but we didn't mind as the dealer was super easy to work with and went through the trouble of trading with another in order to get the trim/color we wanted.

I'd do it all over again (and plan to with our next purchase).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I printed out the list of the 3 USAA-approved dealers with the pricing, went to the dealer I had already talked to and asked if they'd honor the price, which they did.
$38,509 for our 2012 Touring + Tax,Tags,Registration,etc. Pick it up later this week after they find the colors we wanted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts