Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been researching old SRS threads all morning, the majority appear to relate to 2002 models.

I have a 2005 LX with 76k miles. We're stationed in Germany. The vehicle runs good, both side door rollers are defective, but thanks to this group, I now know how to repair that problem. The major prob is that the SRS MIL is illuminated, and has been since the winter/spring of 2010. The only reasons I can think that it illuminated is 1. We bumped into a high curb which caused the temperature sensor to act whacky for a while, but after taking it to the german honda dealer, it settled down and began reflecting the correct temp again. 2. My kids left the interior lights on overnight and the battery died so I had to jump it.

There have been no impacts to the front end which could have disabled a sensor (unless the other primary driver of the van hasn't come clean....)....and, the 6 disc CD player doesn't work anymore.

The USAF won't pass the vehicle because the MIL is illuminated and it doesn't pass the inspection, I can't get it registered. HWich was due yesterday.

I've tried so far: 1. Connecting the base auto shop OBDII to the Ody, (After research, I now know that the OBDII won't read the Honda error codes), and 2. Disconnecting the pos battery cable for 30 seconds and then reconnecting. The SRS MIL came back on.

Your assistance in providing me other areas to check to resolve this prob is appreciated. I have no desire to bring it to the dealer unless I abso must.

Thanks,

Harry

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I haven't seen many 2005+ SRS related posts on here. But if you look at the following 2nd gen thread and see blake's posts, you should wind up on another site with steps to check the SRS code. What you can do is try that out. All you have to lose is a paperclip and worst case a fuse. You use the OBD II port to check the fault code. See if you can at the least access the SRS code using the prior gen's process.

I do remember seeing a post somewhere on this forum for the prior gen (2nd gen) where someone had an SRS light for years for a faulty SRS Unit and then they replaced the battery and the code went away so your needing to jump the car might have triggered a false code.

If the checking of the code from the 2nd gen works for you, you might want to look for the infamous yellow 2 pin plug and try to reset the SRS but be sure to get the code first.

Adding the link I forgot. http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/149996-srs-reset.html

·
Registered
193 Posts
Try a known good battery in the van and see if that works. These vans eat batteries for lunch.

The FSM says that an intermittent trouble code in the SRS system is not erased by removing the battery and it requires a "Jumper tool" or the Honda diagnostic system to clear. It specifically says not to use a jumper wire.

The OBDII reader couldn't get anything ? The FSM has 196 pages on the SRS so it will be pretty tough without the code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try a known good battery in the van and see if that works. These vans eat batteries for lunch.

The FSM says that an intermittent trouble code in the SRS system is not erased by removing the battery and it requires a "Jumper tool" or the Honda diagnostic system to clear. It specifically says not to use a jumper wire.

The OBDII reader couldn't get anything ? The FSM has 196 pages on the SRS so it will be pretty tough without the code.
Reply: The OBDII reader (a little handheld device) didn't read any codes at all. I have read that the OBDII reader will not read honda error codes, and it takes the honda reader/scanner to find the error codes?

The battery is good. I rethought the situation, and I didn't jump the honda, I put the german (220V) charger on it and started it that way. This is a PITA, but tat's life, I reckon.

Any way to just disable the MIL/idiot light?

Har:huh:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I believe it is most likely scenario 2 where the battery was drained over a long time. The SRS stores a calibration setting for the OPDS and loses this setting after the battery is drained. It MUST be recalibrated.

Follow the directions in the second half of this post
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/149996-srs-reset.html#post684406

You should probably just skip reading the SRS code and just do the init and reset procedure. I bet it is the same for 3rd gen and 2nd gen. Hope you get it to working again.

Most people say the airbags will not depoly ANYTIME the light is on, but I kind of think or at least hope that IN THIS CASE all the airbags will deploy in a collision. There is some question about if the passenger airbag will deploy however with the uncalibrated OPDS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What can I do to help?

Harryl,

If there is anything I can ship your way or check at my dealership I would like to help out in anyway I can. If you need something shipped, don't worry about reimbursement until we figure out if it works.

Thanks for you service.

Dan ( A military brat )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts