Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting to know our EX RES and have noticed the following problem. I installed a 32 GB iPod touch in the glovebox and connected via USB. It works fine, except I notice that some times the system doesn't recognize that the iPod is connected and I have to unplug it and reconnect it.

I also have a 32 GB iPhone 3GS. It will also work through the USB connection, while also connecting to the phone system via Bluetooth. The problem is that intermittently, the music will show as being playing (progress bar moves), but there is no sound. I can browse the selections on the iPhone via the USB connection, but I don't hear any sound.

Finally, it seems that you can stream audio via Bluetooth from an iPhone, but you don't get to access the music selection. It just starts playing.

Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else with Apple products experienced similar problems?

:)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I will be picking up my van on Monday, I also have a touch plus an older Nano. I'll keep in eye on this thread and report any findings.

·
Registered
170 Posts
chances are if the music is showing as playing on the phone, but no audio, it's connected via the bluetooth and you're on USB or vice versa (it's playing via usb and you're on bluetooth) via the stereo.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
We do have the intermittant iPod not recognizing issue as well. We brought it in at the dealer for 4-5 other issues and when they tested it, they said they couldn't find any anomalies (big surprise there..)
With bluetooth, there's a chart somewhere I saw, and the iphone is not supported as far as browsing music through bluetooth, the only thing you can do is hit that button your iphone to push music to the sound system, that's it.
good luck with your issues.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We do have the intermittant iPod not recognizing issue as well. We brought it in at the dealer for 4-5 other issues and when they tested it, they said they couldn't find any anomalies (big surprise there..)
With bluetooth, there's a chart somewhere I saw, and the iphone is not supported as far as browsing music through bluetooth, the only thing you can do is hit that button your iphone to push music to the sound system, that's it.
good luck with your issues.
Thanks for the reply Phil. We don't seem to have any issues when we install a 32GB iPod touch in the glovebox via usb and connect the iPhone via BlueTooth.

It is nice having my music selection with us on the go, but it would be nice if the music navigation mirrored the iPod itself. As it is, there are too many steps to go back to where you were on the Artist or Album list to continue searching for music.

Maybe the simplest thing to do is to create more play lists and access favorite music tracks that way.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks for the reply Phil. We don't seem to have any issues when we install a 32GB iPod touch in the glovebox via usb and connect the iPhone via BlueTooth.

It is nice having my music selection with us on the go, but it would be nice if the music navigation mirrored the iPod itself. As it is, there are too many steps to go back to where you were on the Artist or Album list to continue searching for music.

Maybe the simplest thing to do is to create more play lists and access favorite music tracks that way.
Just to be sure I'm on the same page. When you connect your ipod or iPhone via bluetooth (no usb) you cannot go to 'audio' on the navi and browse your songs right.
Also, I agree with the playlist, it's a bit easier, I'm not a fan of always have to start at the 'main' menu instead of staying in the artist sub-section when you go 'up' with the knob.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be sure I'm on the same page. When you connect your ipod or iPhone via bluetooth (no usb) you cannot go to 'audio' on the navi and browse your songs right.
Also, I agree with the playlist, it's a bit easier, I'm not a fan of always have to start at the 'main' menu instead of staying in the artist sub-section when you go 'up' with the knob.
If I hook my iPod up to the USB port in the glove box, I have full access to the music list (as per my iPod). When that connection is not in place (i.e. the iPod is out of the van) and I am using my iPhone via Bluetooth for phone service, I've noticed that I have no access to the music listings on my iPhone. I just get a blue screen showing a bluetooth connection to "Shazzam" and I hear music and can advance the track, but I can't make any direct selections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
4th gen ipod nano usb no sound

We have had our van since mid Jan and my ipod plugged into the usb worked fine. Then 2 weeks ago I added more music onto it and iTunes updated the software on the iPod. Big mistake - now my music/playlists show up on the screen but no music.

Did all the usual troubleshooting...not on bluetooth, iPod played fine elsewhere, unplugged, plugged back in. Ended up bringing it in to Honda today and they said it's a software issue and that maybe the next iPod update will correct the problem.:nothappy:

Honda says that Apple and Honda don't have any special type of relationship that would update the Odyssey's computer -- how can this be possible since they specifically refer to the iPod as opposed to an "mp3" player.

Anyhoo, sounds odd to me and that's why I'm looking for answers on my own. :huh:

Any input is appreciated as I REALLY got spoiled with my iPod functionality while driving!!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
If I hook my iPod up to the USB port in the glove box, I have full access to the music list (as per my iPod). When that connection is not in place (i.e. the iPod is out of the van) and I am using my iPhone via Bluetooth for phone service, I've noticed that I have no access to the music listings on my iPhone. I just get a blue screen showing a bluetooth connection to "Shazzam" and I hear music and can advance the track, but I can't make any direct selections.
there's a direct limitation in what information is passed from an iPhone (or really any phone) over bluetooth.

the vehicle will recognize two audio profiles... HFP & A2DP...

or Hands free profile and advanced audio distribution profile.

neither of these supports data recognition or allows for advanced access to the iPod controls of an iPhone.

Nor does apple allow for this sort of functionality under their OS agreement.

So in short, all you'll ever get out of an iPhone (or iOS device for that matter) is stereo audio or video (when paired with an apple tv)...

do i forsee apple adding that ability in the future... maybe...

will the van be able to recognize it... probably not in this generation

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have had our van since mid Jan and my ipod plugged into the usb worked fine. Then 2 weeks ago I added more music onto it and iTunes updated the software on the iPod. Big mistake - now my music/playlists show up on the screen but no music.

Did all the usual troubleshooting...not on bluetooth, iPod played fine elsewhere, unplugged, plugged back in. Ended up bringing it in to Honda today and they said it's a software issue and that maybe the next iPod update will correct the problem.:nothappy:

Honda says that Apple and Honda don't have any special type of relationship that would update the Odyssey's computer -- how can this be possible since they specifically refer to the iPod as opposed to an "mp3" player.

Anyhoo, sounds odd to me and that's why I'm looking for answers on my own. :huh:

Any input is appreciated as I REALLY got spoiled with my iPod functionality while driving!!!!
What type of iPod and what version software do you have running on it now (after the update)?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I use an iPod Classic (160 GB) plugged into the USB port in the glovebox and it integrates well with the Odyssey's audio controls.

I can even see the album art on the screen, abet they are very small. Does anyone know if the album art can be shown full screen? My album graphics are mostly 500 x 500.

:dizzy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use an iPod Classic (160 GB) plugged into the USB port in the glovebox and it integrates well with the Odyssey's audio controls.

I can even see the album art on the screen, abet they are very small. Does anyone know if the album art can be shown full screen? My album graphics are mostly 500 x 500.

posted that same question here: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/148258-ipod-album-art.html no one responded, so i guess not. i've tried various things but it looks like the honda always only shows it at about 200x200px regardless. no idea why, seems dumb. if it's larger, show it larger.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yeah, too bad! What a waste of such a big beautiful screen.

I also which long artist names and titles would scroll like then do on some mp3 players I own. Oh well. :redface:

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I was going to do some testing for you but I hav an iPod touch. For what it is worth, my iPod Touch has the latest iOS and it is working correctly. If your isn't, I suspect a software compatibility issue with the latest OS for that device. I'd suggest checking the Apple support forums to see if there is a way to load an earlier version of the software.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I was going to do some testing for you but I hav an iPod touch. For what it is worth, my iPod Touch has the latest iOS and it is working correctly. If your isn't, I suspect a software compatibility issue with the latest OS for that device. I'd suggest checking the Apple support forums to see if there is a way to load an earlier version of the software.
So are you saying you get nice large album art covers on your Odyssey's screen using an iPod Touch? If you could post a picture that would be great.

I can't update or downgrade the iPod Classic's firmware. It's been the same firmware for years and Apple aren't releasing any more updates.

Overall, my old iPod Classic integrates pretty good with the Odyssey's audio system. I can scroll through music and skip tracks using the dash or steering wheel controls. I'm still working on testing the voice commands.

My only gripe is if album art would display larger and that long names/titles would scroll on the screen. Otherwise I can't really complain. Much better than my other car where I have to use a cassette adapter and manually skip tracks on the iPod itself.

;)

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So are you saying you get nice large album art covers on your Odyssey's screen using an iPod Touch? If you could post a picture that would be great.

I can't update or downgrade the iPod Classic's firmware. It's been the same firmware for years and Apple aren't releasing any more updates.

Overall, my old iPod Classic integrates pretty good with the Odyssey's audio system. I can scroll through music and skip tracks using the dash or steering wheel controls. I'm still working on testing the voice commands.

My only gripe is if album art would display larger and that long names/titles would scroll on the screen. Otherwise I can't really complain. Much better than my other car where I have to use a cassette adapter and manually skip tracks on the iPod itself.

;)
Sorry, I was responding to Kathie123 who says she is having difficulty after a software update. I was suggesting that poster reinstall an earlier version of the software on her iPod to try and correct her connectivity issue. If she is using an iPod Touch, I could do some testing at my end to try and help.

As to album art, I see a small picture of the album art, provided the file is included in the .mp3 on my iPod. For what it is worth, I'd rather see a smaller picture and the track information than a larger picture.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Even if the Odyssey only displays the iPod album cover on half the screen or uses some sort of split screen like the BMW for example, that would be great. Such a large screen, why not make the best use of it?

It's too bad the HDD doesn't' display album covers. Maybe offer the ability to download a cover to each album.

:rollingeyes:

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even if the Odyssey only displays the iPod album cover on half the screen or uses some sort of split screen like the BMW for example, that would be great. Such a large screen, why not make the best use of it?

It's too bad the HDD doesn't' display album covers. Maybe offer the ability to download a cover to each album.

:rollingeyes:
On this class of vehicle, I'm just happy everything works and I can connect my iPod to the sound system and browse the music. :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
The Odyssey may be classified as a minivan but they certainly charged me a luxury car price for my Touring! LOL

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The Odyssey may be classified as a minivan but they certainly charged me a luxury car price for my Touring! LOL

Yeah, to each his own. I didn't see the value in the higher models and we settled on an EX RES. The van has too much road noise to make it into the luxury category for me, so we decided to take the value route given that the best vehicle for us is a van. The leather in the EX-L is cold in the winter here even though there are seat heaters to help out, but no heaters in the rear.

It is several steps down from the Touring, but several steps up from the 2008 Sienna CE we were driving and the extra $13,000 + taxes feels good in the pocket - to be used on the upcoming sports car this summer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts