Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks - if I'm using carplay with my android phone, does the 2018 odyssey have another usb port which I can connect a stick to which has some music? I can't find one
Thx

·
Registered
534 Posts
Download your music into your van first then swap the cable to the Android auto. There is only one data usb connection to the vehicle on a 2018

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't know if they ever fixed the USB stick music bugs, if not it is really aggravating. You'll start the Ody and get no stick or no data errors. You can't clear the error by removing and reinserting.

Stop the Ody
Remove the stick.
Turn off the engine.
Open and close the driver's door.
Start the Ody.
Insert the stick.
See if it works, if not loop through the steps again.

Never had to do it more than three times to get the music to work. Tried multiple stick sizes from 4 to 32 GB. Tried three different brands of stick, SanDisk, Lexar, DataTravler.

Trimmed my collection to fit on the HD, had to drop a fes songs because the file length was over the Ody's drive limit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I copied the music onto the car and it works well but not well organized. Has anybody tried to organize in different albums in the usb stick and has it worked for you? Any tips would be appreciated

• Albums
  • Playlists
  • Artists
  • Genres

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I tried like you did, to get the music arranged on a USB drive by Album and put into Honda Music, no luck, by Artists, no luck. by Playlists, no luck. It just flat places the music in alphabetical order no matter what/whom/timestamp it's in. Worst yet I attempted to rename the music filename in alphabetic order such as "a, a1, a2, a3..." somehow it still found the real name and put in alphabetical order. AARRGGGHHH!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I tried like you did, to get the music arranged on a USB drive by Album and put into Honda Music, no luck, by Artists, no luck. by Playlists, no luck. It just flat places the music in alphabetical order no matter what/whom/timestamp it's in. Worst yet I attempted to rename the music filename in alphabetic order such as "a, a1, a2, a3..." somehow it still found the real name and put in alphabetical order. AARRGGGHHH!
I fought with this for a while. All the buttons and filters appear to do is filter down the music based on what selections you make. The system keys off the ID3 tags embedded in the mp3 files. I resorted to writing some software to take a playlist on my computer, update the ID3 info with a <sequence number> + song title, and output it to a USB drive in a folder with the name of the playlist. After transferring the music to the van, I can at least select a folder and press play. it will cycle through the tracks in the same order as the playlist. That of course breaks all other searching since the names get mangled, but it works for me. This also allows me to avoid using the random button, which resets the list every time you stop, and gets stuck playing the same 3 songs over and over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is just my own custom software I wrote to make things more tolerable for the van. I am perfectly happy to share the source code - there isn't much to it. No GUIs, just manually editing a file to put in the playlist. I would have just posted it, but apparently the site only allows images. I didn't want to spam the source code. If you are interested, or if someone has suggestions on how to do it, I'd be happy to share.

·
Registered
561 Posts
@bugmebugme Usually I don't play music stored on USB sticks - I am a big fan of storing all music on my phone which has 256GB of internal storage and a 128GB microSD card installed - but to test it I copied a few albums from my collection of FLAC files onto a USB stick. It worked as expected, my van was able to sort the music by Folder (the name you see at the filesystem level, e.g., Explorer in Windows, or Finder in MacOS), Album, Artist. Album and artist information are in the metadata of each file (representing one track). There are a number of software applications that allow you to edit ID3 tags in music files, I have used mp3tag in Windows (free), and Tag Editor in MacOS (I think there was a one-time cost but I forgot how much; it was an in-app purchase done outside the app store). There is also a MacOS port of mp3tag, it costs $19.99 upfront. Regardless of what you use, they allow you to edit tags in batches - all tracks in the same album share the same album name, cover art, and artist (well, some albums have various artists). Some may also be able to pull the album cover image from the Internet, but of course you may supply your own. Although ID3 was originally associated with mp3 files, the same can be applied to other formats such as FLAC.

If you want to use a playlist, however, you will need to follow @keystonejoe 's directions.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Found a quick way to create a .m3u playlist file, although there are some caveats:

1. Install the VLC media player, which is free, if you don't have it already;
2. With the USB stick attached to your computer, drag all your music folders into VLC;
3. Have not tested this in Windows but I suspect the same bug exists, at least when using the MacOS version of VLC only tracks in the first folder populate the playlist immediately, but when I exported the playlist in this state only tracks in the first folder are included, followed by a list of remaining folders. To work around this, just click on each remaining folder in VLC and they will expand. Once all tracks are shown, export the playlist to a file on the USB stick. The exact location doesn't matter, VLC uses the file paths relative to where the .m3u playlist is save to identify individual tracks;
4. Later on you can update the playlist by opening it in VLC, add additional songs, and export the updated list.

I have had no luck getting the van to use multiple playlists. It just starts playing using the first playlist in the alphabetic order, I can see the multiple playlists when I select Browse -> Playlists, and I can pick one among the playlists, but it only gives me a blank screen with the playlist name and doesn't do anything. @keystonejoe may have some insight into this.

The other thing is that at startup the van seems to look for every track on the playlist(s). I had one on the USB stick pointing to files on my computer's hard drive so those paths are invalid except when the USB stick is plugged into my computer, and the van was stuck in "Initializing" for a long time. It might have timed out eventually, but I just unplugged it and removed the offending file. There was no audio coming out from one of the albums, I looked at the files and they turned out to be in Apple Lossless format; all mp3 and FLAC files worked as expected.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I already have itunes for windows. I wonder if the itunes playlists will also work in a similar manner

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes. Tried it on a Mac and it worked. Haven't used iTunes in Windows for years, but I would expect the same result.

There was one thing that got me concerned when I first looked at the exported playlists, because they reference the absolute file path rather than the relative one. For example it showed

#EXTINF:225,Dell' Amore Non Si Sa - Andrea Bocelli
/Volumes/SonyUSB/Music/Andrea Bocelli - Andrea/01 - Andrea Bocelli - Dell' Amore Non Si Sa.mp3

instead of

#EXTINF:225,Dell' Amore Non Si Sa - Andrea Bocelli
Music/Andrea Bocelli - Andrea/01 - Andrea Bocelli - Dell' Amore Non Si Sa.mp3

Because "/Volumes/SonyUSB/" is valid only when the USB stick is plugged into a Mac. But my van had no problem linking entries to the correct files, it was also able to show all three playlists that I had exported onto the USB stick and I could switch among them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had no luck getting the van to use multiple playlists. It just starts playing using the first playlist in the alphabetic order, I can see the multiple playlists when I select Browse -> Playlists, and I can pick one among the playlists, but it only gives me a blank screen with the playlist name and doesn't do anything. @keystonejoe may have some insight into this.
So when I bought the van in June of 2017, the head unit had an option for playlists. I could upload the mp3's and the playlist to the van, and it would locate the songs even though they didn't reside in the same folder/directory/whatever as the van. This worked great for a year, until - as I like to say - "I suffered an upgrade." Honda removed the playlist option from the head unit, and that was no longer an option. Since that time, I haven't been able to use playlists at all. That sent me back to the drawing board as to how I I could put playlists in the van, which is still disabled/removed. I spent some time to figure out and test the various naming conventions and folders to achieve what I wanted to listen to.

I'm wondering if your van didn't get the firmware upgrade to disable the playlists? After the update to remove the playlists, my head unit plays all songs in alphabetical order by the ID3 tags, so that would explain the playlist in alphabetical order. The head unit might have been ignoring the playlist.

I have been so frustrated by the stupidity of the head unit, I came up with my own solution. If there is a need for something like this, I'd be willing to try to make it available - any software people want to help?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I didn't transfer the files into the head unit's internal storage, everything I have attempted so far involves music files (MP3 and FLAC) and playlists (m3u) stored on the removable USB stick, so we could be talking about two different issues. I have installed all available OTA updates so far, my van's head unit is showing kernel version 3.14.51 from May 14, 2020 and Honda software version B.1.3.4.

On my first few attempts it played tracks on the first playlist, whose name was ahead of the other two playlists by alphabetic order, but I couldn't actually see the contents of any of those three playlists. I later found out the issue was how to white space was represented in the file path: the .m3u playlists generated by VLC filled each space with "%20", the head unit's behavior was puzzling - it actually followed the entries on the first playlist in playback, but would not show the list of tracks on screen (it did show info on the current track correctly), nor would it let me do anything with the other two playlists. I didn't have any second thought about the %20 because that is what represents space in a standard URL.

When OP asked about iTunes playlists, I exported one using Apple Music on a Mac to an .m3u file and to my surprise the head unit actually showed the track list. Opened the .m3u file in a text editor and found that it used space literally in file paths. So I replaced "%20" in those VLC playlists with literal space and the head unit was happy, I was able to switch among playlists and each corresponding track list would show up on screen.

I was pleasantly surprised by the head unit not taking the absolute file path written in the Apple Music playlists literally. I was also surprised when some tracks were silent during playback although cover art and elapsed time were shown, but it was user error - I had thought those tracks were FLAC but they were in fact Apple Lossless.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried to copy playlist on itunes for windows but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. Is there a big difference between playlists and albums - any drawbacks to just doing folders which iTunes allows me to do - I simply copy a bunch of songs and drag them into a folder on the USB stick like Classical

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts