Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally Depaxed. Yeah!! Of course I now had to buy the spare tire kit. I put the Hankook Ventus RH07 EXTRA LOAD 235/55/18 tires on my van as my depaxed tires.

My question is I then bought the T135/80MD-17 Kenda Spare to put in the spare tire holder. This seems to be the only size tire that will fit in the spare tire wheel holder. When I took it to my tire dealer to have them mount the spare, they had some concerns that I had a 17" spare and my de-paxed tires are 18" tires. He said that if I had to put the spare tire on, it would be incredibly hard on the transmission because of the difference in diameter.

Does anyone have some good solid information that this is true? Has anyone had to put their spare tire on after depaxing with 18" or bigger tires and then had transmission problems? Does anyone know if you can get an 18" spare that would still fit in the spare tire compartment?

I would never plan on driving the spare for a long time but if you are in the boonies, I may have to drive it 30-50 miles though. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts and wisdom of this would be.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
I don't know if it would be a problem for the transmission. I mean, no Odyssey has ever had a limited-slip differential as OEM equipment, so there is no worry of diff clutch chattering...it doesn't have any.

That said, if one front wheel has a larger outside diameter than the opposite front wheel, the differential will be subjected to different rotation speeds between the left and right front wheels, as if the car were in a constant turn into the bigger tire (yes, the bigger tire...less axle revolutions per unit time on that side). The only system I can think of which would be affected would be the TCS...you'd want to turn it off, just to prevent the possibility of the TCS thinking the vehicle was losing front wheel traction on one wheel.

This is just conjecture on my part (I'm not a certified mechanic, just a DIY guy). I don't think the difference in tire outside diameter would be enough to cause problems, but that is just me. I'd drive on it...carefully.

OF

1 - 2 of 2 Posts