Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 2008 ex very clean , the dealer reconditioned very nicely from what i can see. new tires and non pax for sure . they are hanook or what ever.
every thing looks good and drive nice. i drove a pilot se and clearly the van won with me and my wife.

concern 58k miles on the van.
brake where a little musy - going to check the vin for the recall .
other than that every thing worked. some might thing this is funny but my first used vechile if i do not consider what i dad brought me in collage days.preferred new and 100k later getting another one.
at 58k - do i need to do transmission fluid and belt. dealer says everything is fully checked and brakes done and not to worry.

could not afford a 30k for new ody ...right now.

now anything i need to check ?.... any input. got a decent deal private party good condition kbb value from a dealer fully reconditioned.
no ding or scratches i can even see.

hopefully last 5 yrs/60k ....with care.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sounds good, but I would still get a second opinion from an independent mechanic, or at least see what kind of warranty the dealer will give you. You will have appx. 2 K left on the original manufacturer Powertrain warranty, so that could (notice I didn't say would!) cover any potential tranny problems in the next few months or year or two. I would add that I personally like the EX level of trim as you have some nice options over the bare-bones LX, but not all the bells and whistles (which may break down over time and cost a lot of $ to fix!) of the EX-L and Touring’s. But to each their own. You will find some LX lovers among us, along with the bell and whistle lovers who wouldn’t touch anything below the EX-L level!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I decided to go with the ex and put a rear dvd player. we live in north east and cold leather seats in the back are always concerns. cloth is preferred by me and wife.
we also like our portable gps as i can update maps every few months and keep it current.plus replace every few years with better chips and speed.

I just saw the carfax and seems like it was alease vechile and then 2nd owner traded after 15k. i am the 3rd owner.i do not see any issue and all services have been done.
the dealer said he refaced the brake , 4 wheel alignment , new tires , replace engine mounts , cabin filter and reconditioned [clean and wax i guess].
I do not see transmission fluid in carfax so going to do a swap in the spring/summer when it warms up a bit . for now going to check the color.

It will be self maintained. the only question in my jetta and camry i run mobil 1 for 10k [ recommended by vw and camry was 5k with ordinary oil] . can u run mobil syn between 10k intervals.

anyway sold my 5 speed Jetta 2.0T and getting the wife`s camry ..... now...going to miss manual transmission

WHAT IS MM AND WHERE DO I FIND IT ?.

·
Registered
288 Posts
can u run mobil syn between 10k intervals?
As dvpatel,Our Dear Leader, would say: "Use the Search Function!"

WHAT IS MM AND WHERE DO I FIND IT ?.
MM = Maintenance Minder. You won't see it (on your instrument panel where the odometer and trip odometers are) until it is time for service on your vehicle. It is triggered by the computer on your vehicle. Do a search for that also and you will find out what the codes (A and B, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) mean.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Silver- you got a good van.

The maintenance minder typically prompts for an oil change around 7000mi, so going 10K miles on M1 5w20 wouldn't be a problem.

At 58K, I would do a drain/fill on the transmission ASAP. It's easier than an engine oil change, given the trans has a bottom mounted drain plug and a top mounted fill plug.

I personally use Valvoline Maxlife ATF, but many choose to stick with Honda ATF.

Other than that, a few years down the road (over 100Kmi) you'll need to change the timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, etc..

·
Registered
288 Posts
^^^^^ one of them LX luvers! :tongue:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just bought an 08 Touring with 55k miles, didn't even think twice. low mileage would br 10k yr and high mileage would be 25k year

Are you buying from a Honda Dealer?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am not buying from a honda dealer. Its is sold by a ford,mazda dealer. the same dealership owns a honda dealership a few miles up. its honda dealership that send me here when i found the ex on the preowned website this was sold as a certified honda vechile next door to this dealer in a honda dealer with 44k as per carfax. then traded this dealer in 2 year.

I read the instruction for a tranmission fluid change and was suprised at the ease , on my tauras it was apan drop/filter change .messey. vw is a sealed engine for transmission fluid.
its 24 degrees so going to wait a few months before doing this atleast as i have to lay on the floor of my garage or driveway.

Strange deal as always found a ex with 36k a few hundred more than this online 40 miles away .... after i sign the paper. should not have looked.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^^^^^ one of them LX luvers! :tongue:

LOL!!

Heck yah Brother.

I never could fathom the thought of 10-$20K more for EX-L or beyond, given the abuse.. or should I say 'use' a van sees?

Joel

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the transmission talk got me worried. i got a 1000$ + 100$ deductable ford used carry power train warranty 2yr/24k
any way picking it up tomorrow....i am excited to say the least.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd recommend some sort of powertrain warranty, it gives piece of mind. I'm in Canada and a Tech at non dealership. Honda has a great name and reliability, but even I bought the extended warranty (Honda) @ $2500 gives full warranty till 2016/125k miles

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any idea what color the transmission fluid should be?

mine looks very very light brown/pinkish ... its very light brown/pinkish look. i put it on a paper towel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is red/pink straight out of the bottle. I would do at least one drain and fill (3.3 qts.) to start to move it more in the red/pink direction. Search the procedure on here...it's easier than an oil change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts