Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing a 2006 Odyssey EX with 111,000 miles, I'm beginning to wonder if I bought a used dud. As I mentioned in my Intro Thread, I already replaced all four shocks, both outer tie rods (one was bad. I like to replace suspension parts in pairs) and rebuilt a leaking power steering pump. I thought the problems were behind me and I can now concentrate on improvements (e.g. sound insulation, brake hardware upgrade, etc.). However, I noticed a leak underneath and, upon closer inspection, I find that transmission fluid is leaking through a small metal plate held by two screws (I think) underneath the transmission. After consulting with a reliable mechanic that I use often, I am told that I am most likely looking at a transmission rebuild.:cry:
He did advise me to try and change out the transmission fluid first and add a quart of anti-leaking transmission fluid by Lucas to see if that will stop it first, things are not looking good. Has anybody else had experience with this issue? A transmission rebuild is not exactly at the top of my To Do wishlist. My wife is already asking me what the worst thing would happen if I did not fix the leak (It's a slow leak) and just kept adding fluid instead and I really don't have a good answer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You need a new transmission from a slow leak? I would definetely seek out another opinion. The early 3rd generation wasn't known for transmission failure. They were upgraded I believe in 2007.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to get a second opinion. As a matter of fact, I would like to have it examined. However, I'm not too keen on going to a transmission place. The last time I had transmission issues with a car (91' Maxima), the transmission shop charged $500 just to look at it, because they "had to take it out and apart" to find the problem. Granted, the transmission was in bad shape (gears were slipping like crazy), but after my experience with that particular shop (along with my brother's with AAMCO), I don't have a very high opinion of transmission shops.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Get your digital camera, put it on the self-timer and shove it underneath and take tons of pictures. Then grab the factory service manual and figure out what is leaking. If your mechanic is as good as you claim he is, he should be able to determine and find out what is leaking. If it is outside the transmission, it can be be rocket science to replace that part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts