Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here!
3 kids coming so need to get a used minivan, first time, most likely being Odyssey. Looking at 2015/2016 lower mileage one. Been thinking of getting Touring for all the features.
But realistically how useful are the extra stuffs on Touring VS EX-L? Leather seats I do want, plus any additional safety features if any. DVD screen good to have. NAVI perhaps not all that useful?

So what's your opinion or if you're going to buy a used now which would u get?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Should also mention, if that matters do plan or hope to keep it longer term 5-10 years.
Did look at new ones, sure look nicer but kind of out of the budget even going with lowest trim, let alone leather trim.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,014 Posts
I think the only worthwhile extra in the Touring compared to EX-L are the upgraded headlights. The RES and satnav should not be considered adequate reasons to choose one or the other and the active and passive safety features in the Touring and EX-L are the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Found a PDF brochure of the 2015. Looks like the only safety feature difference is that blindspot indicator lights, which would seem useful? Thought from the test drive so far, that light is rather dim and not all that noticeable... or perhaps just that I'm not used to looking at it yet. Or perhaps more useful at night?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,014 Posts
You're right about the blind spot indicators - I forgot about those. The blind spot indicators are certainly nice to have in that they keep your eyes looking in the right general direction towards the mirrors and it works on both sides of the van. The Honda LaneWatch blind spot camera on the EX-L is also quite nice but only works on the passenger side.

My van is an EX and therefore only has the LaneWatch camera. If you use that in conjunction with well-adjusted side mirrors, you can see around the van quite well. I don't think BSI should be a deal-breaker - it's more of a sweetener if you find a Touring that you already prefer for other reasons.

Reactions: whyandrew

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,014 Posts
If you're looking to keep this van 5 to 10 years, then things like mileage and condition should be prioritized far more than trim levels (after your minimum requirements like leather are met, of course). On a late model gen 4 Odyssey, you should pay extra for condition, not for DVD players or built-in navigation. The infotainment tech is the best that 2011 had to offer, and that isn't great when you consider the standards set by newer vehicles these days. That's a big part of the reasons why Tourings tend to depreciate more than EX-Ls or EXs as a proportion of their original price - no one sees a reason to pay a premium for way out of date tech goodies on a pre-owned van.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah for sure about mileage. One particular 2015 Touring I'm eyeing on has only 30000km and no accident at least on Carfax. Probably only used to shuffle kids to school for 4 years and then lease ended. Going down to EXL can perhaps save $2-5k Canadian dollars.. But of course see if gets lucky.
The blind spot thing seems useful tho, esp for wife who's a bit worry driving a bigger vehicle. Tough choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just got a 2016 Touring Elite after our 2015 Ex-L was totalled after another driver tried to make a left as my wife was passing through an intersection with the right of way. I've literally only had the Touring Elite for two days now, and I haven't driven it much yet (picked it up 12/23, and did not drive it on Christmas Eve at all and only for a short trip today) but I really miss the Lane Watch, despite it being on the right hand mirror only. I was pretty psyched to get the RES...but unfortunately it does not work as nicely as I expected it to (my point of reference being the a 2012 Lexus RX300, which is not a valid comparison). I do like the upgraded HID headlights, and while it's not a huge benefit, having the entertainment system with a four year old is great. I agree that the Navigation shouldn't be a huge selling point, but it is nice to have; a few times taking road trips we had issues using our cell phones GPS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Say, 2015 Touring 30000KM, vs, 2016 EX-L 95000KM for $5k Canadian cheaper, which's better?
Or in other way of looking at them... how much is each 10,000 KM mileage worth?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,014 Posts
If you can swing the price, I'd say Touring - no contest. With that kind of mileage, it's practically brand new. The EX-L has racked up a lot of mileage in not very much time and if the maintenance hasn't been kept up (especially for the transmission) you'll be doing the catch-up work right off the hop. To me, five grand isn't enough of a discount.

·
Registered
585 Posts
As CroMath noted, the low mileage Touring is the best choice. Both models are out of the 3/36 bumper-bumper warranty but only the Touring still has the 5/60 powertrain warranty (assuming it was originally bought sometime in 2015). You also have the ability to start a good maintenance routine early in the Touring model's life, including the necessary trans fluid changes (at least every 30k).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Touring in this case for sure, but make sure it's a well rated dealership/location regardless.

And if you get the Touring, time to start with all the maintenance upkeep we preach here, trans fluid 3x swap, Muzzle the VCM/ECO setup and keep an eye out for front brakes.

We went with a used '16 EXL/RES, so with the Rear Entertainment System/DVD player and with 3 kids it's heaven sent.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Settled on the 15 touring with <30000 km in blue. Will pick up later next week, trading in the old 09 Mazda5 which has served us well. Dropped alot of money on the mazda5 just in the spring, rear struts, controller arms, brakes, fan relay switch, cost more than the trade-in value which sucks! . The standard Mazda feature of rusting wheel wells certainly not helping with trade-in lol

Looking forward to the Ody and next stage in life with 3rd kid coming!

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,014 Posts
Settled on the 15 touring with <30000 km in blue. Will pick up later next week, trading in the old 09 Mazda5 which has served us well. Dropped alot of money on the mazda5 just in the spring, rear struts, controller arms, brakes, fan relay switch, cost more than the trade-in value which sucks! . The standard Mazda feature of rusting wheel wells certainly not helping with trade-in lol

Looking forward to the Ody and next stage in life with 3rd kid coming!
Congrats on the new ride!

If you haven't already seen references to it around here, I'd strongly suggest that you invest in a VCM disable device. It will keep your practically new engine purring along for waaaay longer than it likely would without disabling VCM.

Reactions: rmyoder

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah for sure. Been looking at the info on (potential) issues. First task needs a set of winters and wheel. The touring still has the original tires (primacy) at maybe 50% depth which certainly aren't good for any snow here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to confirm, I shouldnt have issue putting 17" size rim and winter tires on Touring right?

·
Banned
78 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

If you haven't already seen references to it around here, I'd strongly suggest that you invest in a VCM disable device. It will keep your practically new engine purring along for waaaay longer than it likely would without disabling VCM.
Do you have any facts , or hard data to back that up ? I would like to see the actual facts on this VCM disable device. Do the sellers of the device have comparative, or long term analysis on VCM enabled and VCM disabled vehicles ? These are very reasonable questions that any Odyssey EX-L owner would want answered and should not be ridiculed for asking, Respectfully Sir could you please answer them .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Advice from someone with a 2011 Touring (has same 6 speed transmission) with 183000 miles:

1. Drain and refill the transmission fluid (3.5 liters) with every oil change. Use the Honda fluid. This will help keep the 6 speed transmission in good shape and avoid the torque converter issues seen with older years. Reference Honda TSB 16-046.

2. Consider a VCM disable device like ”VCMTUNER II“. This will help avoid the cylinder ring wear issues discussed ad nauseum on these forums. $120 is cheap insurance to prevent issues, especially with such a young vehicle. The gasoline saved by VCM is tiny compared to engine damage costs.

3. Mobil 1 0W20 engine oil and Honda oil filter.

4. When you get to the timing belt at 100k, insist on only Honda parts, replace the water pump and timing belt tensioner too at that time.

5. NGK spark plugs to exact match Honda originals.

6. One more - replace the battery every 3 years. Set a calender reminder and just replace it every 36 months, you get to do it when it convenient for you, not when your wife is stranded somewhere and its your fault...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you have any facts , or hard data to back that up ? I would like to see the actual facts on this VCM disable device. Do the sellers of the device have comparative, or long term analysis on VCM enabled and VCM disabled vehicles ? These are very reasonable questions that any Odyssey EX-L owner would want answered and should not be ridiculed for asking, Respectfully Sir could you please answer them .
Any update/response to this request? I'm interested as well.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 86 Posts