Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
axistang, does that disconnection cause a check engine light? I think the dealers may do this when testing with their propiatary OBD readers. I think I remember someone doing a ride along with a dealer tech when thy were trying to nail
down some shifting issues and the tech wanted to take the VCM out of the loop for diagnostics. In any case, another thing I learned around here is that VCM does not activate if you are going over 80 MPH, so that could be why you never had any issues. What did the plugs look like when replaced? Twice now?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Buy the VCM Muzzler

·
Registered
3 Posts
axistang, does that disconnection cause a check engine light? I think the dealers may do this when testing with their propiatary OBD readers. I think I remember someone doing a ride along with a dealer tech when thy were trying to nail
down some shifting issues and the tech wanted to take the VCM out of the loop for diagnostics. In any case, another thing I learned around here is that VCM does not activate if you are going over 80 MPH, so that could be why you never had any issues. What did the plugs look like when replaced? Twice now?
[/QQ
Yes it causes a CEL. I didn't want the VCM2 because I'd rather the VCM never cut back on vs sometimes for a number of seconds.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yes it causes a CEL. I didn't want the VCM2 because I'd rather the VCM never cut back on vs sometimes for a number of seconds.
If you were to choose to use either a VCMTuner II or an S-VCM controller, you would have VCM 100% disabled without a Check Engine light. As it stands now, if you were to have a problem that would normally throw a code and Check Engine light, you'll never know - the light is always on anyways.

It's true that both of these fully automated options are at the higher end of the price scale for a VCM disable device, but they work perfectly. Just a suggestion - I know your way has the distinct advantage of costing zero dollars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you were to choose to use either a VCMTuner II or an S-VCM controller, you would have VCM 100% disabled without a Check Engine light. As it stands now, if you were to have a problem that would normally throw a code and Check Engine light, you'll never know - the light is always on anyways.

It's true that both of these fully automated options are at the higher end of the price scale for a VCM disable device, but they work perfectly. Just a suggestion - I know your way has the distinct advantage of costing zero dollars.
VCMuzzler 2 says 90% effective when sitting in traffic 1-2 minutes. When my vehicle goes into eco mode it causes a misfire code which then puts the vehicle into limp mode or safe mode whichever one you'd like to call it and you can only turn that off by resetting the fault codes. With the secondary oil pressure sensor unhooked the vehicle does not have a misfire at all because it never goes into eco mode.

So I should pay $120 to cut my check engine light off and possibly trigger the misfire code after sitting in traffic 1 to 2 minutes while it resets?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
VCMuzzler 2 says 90% effective when sitting in traffic 1-2 minutes. When my vehicle goes into eco mode it causes a misfire code which then puts the vehicle into limp mode or safe mode whichever one you'd like to call it and you can only turn that off by resetting the fault codes. With the secondary oil pressure sensor unhooked the vehicle does not have a misfire at all because it never goes into eco mode.

So I should pay $120 to cut my check engine light off and possibly trigger the misfire code after sitting in traffic 1 to 2 minutes while it resets?
The VCMuzzler II uses swappable resistors to adjust the output ECT1 - it can't promise 100% effectiveness because it can't respond on its own to changes like sitting in traffic compared to driving at speed.

The two options I mentioned (S-VCM and VCMTuner II) use a microprocessor to continually monitor and adjust the output of ECT1. Because these two can respond to changes in conditions without driver input, they can guarantee 100% disabling of VCM. The only time they stop working is if your engine is about to overheat. They can both recognize when that is about to happen and shut themselves off so that all the usual alarms and lights will go off.

Should you drop $120 on that? That's your call to make. But I can tell you that I did and I don't regret it for a millisecond. I consider it money well spent.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts