Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think I can still use my 1.5 ton jack to lift my 4 thousand pound van? So the van is about 2 tons right? Lets say I lift the front end? The jack is not actually lifting the whole 2 tons in theory yes? Maybe half of that. So is it safe or should I just buy a 2 ton jack? Please no negative comments I suck at the laws of physics.

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
The Ody weighs about 2.2 tons. Over half that is likely on the front, say 1.2 tons. This would be about 80% of the capacity of a 1.5-ton jack.

Your jack would probably handle it. But I would go for a larger jack. First, it would have larger dimensions and so it would be more stable. (You probably use axle stands, but a jack can tip while lifting a car.) Second, a larger jack would require less pumping effort. Some basic quality jacks might also develop leaks when used near their limit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its better to be safe than sorry huh? I got one of the harbor freight jacks. I'll get rid of that one and get me the 3 ton jack. No need for two jacks in the garage. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just a side note... when you are at HF, get yourself a pair of jack stands as well. For safety sake, you NEVER want to be under any part of the van when it is only held by a floor jack of any kind. Jackstands are an essential piece of equipment when you work under the vehicle. <public safety message ends here>

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohh of course. Jack stands I use most definiatly. I also say a little prayer before in go under the danger zone. Freaks me out sometimes.

·
Registered
739 Posts
It depends how much your 1.5 ton jack is worth to you, biggest problem (assuming you are using your jack stands) is blowing the seal and making a mess, no? If you are going to replace it anyway and don't mind the latter, might as well use it while it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts