Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently bought a 2011 EX. I want to listen to songs on my USB drive (not on a player) using the van's audio system.

Is there any way I can do that ? Is there a cable out there with the 1/8 inch accessory head at one end and that accepts a USB drive at the other end ? Will the van's audio system read the USB drive and show the songs on it in a playlist ? I read the manual but didnt find a way.

I want to avoid buying a player.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,
I recently bought a 2011 EX. I want to listen to songs on my USB drive (not on a player) using the van's audio system.

Is there any way I can do that ? Is there a cable out there with the 1/8 inch accessory head at one end and that accepts a USB drive at the other end ? Will the van's audio system read the USB drive and show the songs on it in a playlist ? I read the manual but didnt find a way.

I want to avoid buying a player.
The Aux port is just an audio input. There's no such thing as a USB to 1/8" headphone jack adapter because mp3 files can't play themselves. Trying to find such an adapter for your usb drive would be like trying to find an adapter for your vinyl records.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Aux port is just an audio input. There's no such thing as a USB to 1/8" headphone jack adapter because mp3 files can't play themselves. Trying to find such an adapter for your usb drive would be like trying to find an adapter for your vinyl records.
So whats this?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 2012 EX does have a USB interface but not the '11 EX

·
Registered
88 Posts
Odd, the Canadian '11 EX has a USB port and that's where I play my music from.

·
Super Moderator
13,642 Posts
Moved to the dedicated audio/video forum. To prevent future thread locks, please post in correct forums.

·
Registered
513 Posts
So whats this?

"That" is an iPod shuffle cable. It turns the audi port into a USB port for charging and data transfer. Note that it has a male USB plug, not the female that would be neered to connect a USB key.

As tanman1975 said, MP3 files can't play themselves. You need an MP3 player with a USB plug for external storage.

Nicolas

·
Registered
687 Posts
The AUX port allows you to plug in many sources (i.e. MP3 player, cell phone, laptop, ipad, etc.) and output sound over your van's speakers. That's all it does. You still have to control everything from the source itself and cannot control the source via the van's controls.

If you have the USB port in the glove box, you can plug in compatible devices (i.e. iPods, iPhones, MP3 players, USB memory sticks, etc.) and control and playback audio files via the van's controls.

:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Gstom1 and others.

Looks like I must buy a player and transfer songs to it. you see, i am not that technologically literate, i dont own a mp3 player.

Or can I get that USB port in the glove box installed ? Is it DIY, or I would have to get it installed ?

The AUX port allows you to plug in many sources (i.e. MP3 player, cell phone, laptop, ipad, etc.) and output sound over your van's speakers. That's all it does. You still have to control everything from the source itself and cannot control the source via the van's controls.

If you have the USB port in the glove box, you can plug in compatible devices (i.e. iPods, iPhones, MP3 players, USB memory sticks, etc.) and control and playback audio files via the van's controls.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts