Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Replacing this filter isn't easy. Maybe nobody wanted to take the chance of a bad fit or a leak, then having to do it again. What's the advantage over the OEM?

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
.... What's the advantage over the OEM?
Price, I believe (around 1/2 as costly). It's just a basic cellulose filter, as far as I can tell from cutting one open a long time ago. I think I may try these in the future during my upcoming filter changes (Magnefine, OEM ATF filter) and timing belt servicing.

There is always the possibility of a leak, though...that O-ring sealed tube that goes into the filter is the part I'm wondering about.

OF

·
Registered
5 Posts
So nobody tried an aftermarket transmission filter on their 04 tranny?
I'll be replacing mine tomorrow with a "PowerTorque" part #FK398 from Schucks-O'Reilley. It cost me $32.99. I wanted the Beck part, since I've used their parts before, but it took too long to get it in stock.

My problem though is I really couldn't afford 12 quarts of ATF (four drain and fills), so I am going to replace it after doing two drain and fills.

Sears had a 10mm Flex Lock wrench for $19.99 that I picked up for the removal. I still need to make sure I have a 24mm for the filter though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do these tools make the job easier? What is the 24mm tool; is it a socket?
After performing the job on Saturday, I can say the 10mm locking flex head is a must. If it wasn't for that, you'd have to completely remove the ABS system.

The 24mm is used for tightening and untightening the filter itself, however I didn't have a 24mm and used a 1" instead just fine.

Whole job took close to 3 hours, however that included several drain and fills along with taking my sweet time while drinking a few bottles of hard cider ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
i recently installed the beck arnley purchased from rock auto. so far, its holding up without leaks. crossing fingers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i recently installed the beck arnley purchased from rock auto. so far, its holding up without leaks. crossing fingers.
Just did mine with the same part mentioned from Amazon. No problem. 10mm Flex wrench is a must have. Took 3 hours. Have to run to the auto shop to get the 24mm wrench.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just replaced the AT filter today ... first time in 147K miles. After struggling with the 10mm filter bolts from above the filter, I ended up removing the battery tray, which allowed me to use a 1/4" drive ratchet wrench with a standard 10mm socket to remove the bolts. I even had room to use a 1/4" torque wrench to tighten the bolts to spec. I used a 15/16" open-end wrench to remove the filter. Replaced the o-ring at the fitting too.

Honda no longer sells the ZL1 so I used their new DW1 AT fluid for the drain & fill. The dealer claimed it was compatible with the old fluid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the AT filter with the fitting on and off. Be very gentle with the fitting end once it is removed from the filter to avoid bending the metal pipe that it's attached to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts