Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to dig around for some background info on the Internet and this forum for any 3rd gen owners out there that have opted away from using the Honda tranny fluid and subbing in redline racing aft.

I've never had an issue with Honda ATF but I'm not sure if its worthwhile to start using the redline stuff as the gen 2 owners seems to often do.

Apparently friction modifiers in the Honda ATF is what causes excessive clutch wear and Redline racing ATF has no friction modifiers.

I would imagine that b/c of that the shifts will be more "solid" and less smooth using redline but the resulting difference is that your clutches run cooler.

Anyone here actually try using Redline oil and have had lots of success?

I need our van to last forever since we purchased it used. Most of the miles on it are highway miles. I'm starting to drive it more and more in the city with plenty of stop and go traffic and subsequently a lot more shifts = more wear overall.

Thanks,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was a long time member on Acurazine and many of the members there also switched to Redline. The tranny problems were much too frequent and many of the members are very car savvy. I assure you I didn't just take the words of a few car enthusiasts as scripture, but everything they said made sense. Especially considering they had data, pictures, and the mechanical knowledge and experience to back it up. Anyway, make a long story short I switched to the Redline Racing ATF in my own Acura TL Type S and never looked back. I did several drain and fills over the course of several months until the all the Z1 was out and never had a problem. Granted I didn't have the problems llike many of the members did, but I thought heading it off before I had to cross that ugly path was the way to go.
Just my two cents.

Jae

1 - 2 of 2 Posts