Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, yes I used the Searched function before posting. No I didn't find any topics.

I've noticed that when i use my Seat Heaters for a long time, continuously, doesn't matter if its on High or Low heat, my navigation system reboots. First I thought its just a coincidence but then I experimented with it and it does happen. Anyone else has the issue? Whats the remedy?

I use the heater for longer than 30 minutes and it happens.

The navigation DVD is installed under the driver's seat and it heats up. Can anyone suggest how to protect/shield it?

Thanks.
:huh:

·
Registered
176 Posts
It may be a voltage issue or your on the right track of the Nav unit heating up , you can try puting the Heater to floor at the 25 min mark with cool air this may help determine if its heat csusing

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
mskhan18:

What year/model is your Ody? I would start by having your battery checked. Also, isolate the issue by turning off the seat heater and using a hair dryer as a heat source. Aim the hair dryer at the NAVI unit under the seat and see if you can get it to reboot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EE4LIFE: Its a 2010 Touring.

Just replaced the battery about 6 weeks ago when the old one missed a start and had to be jumped. (Can't take chances with the kids i carry).

Without the seat heater, the Nav works great. No reboots (oh, only if I mount the radar lower on the screen) or any other issue. It happens as soon as I put the seat heater on. I will do the hair dryer test and report back.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
EE4LIFE: Its a 2010 Touring.

Just replaced the battery about 6 weeks ago when the old one missed a start and had to be jumped. (Can't take chances with the kids i carry).

Without the seat heater, the Nav works great. No reboots (oh, only if I mount the radar lower on the screen) or any other issue. It happens as soon as I put the seat heater on. I will do the hair dryer test and report back.
Can you elaborate more on "No reboots (oh, only if I mount the radar lower on the screen) or any other issue"? It sounds like you have a radar detector installed. Is it located/mounted near the NAVI screen? Is the power connector plugged into the driver or passenger power outlet near the seat heater switch?

Make sure the radar detector is unplugged when troubleshooting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I do have a Radar Detector installed. I've learned to mount it high enough on the screen so as not to freeze the Nav. If I install it about middle of screen it freezes the Nav. Mounted close to the rear view mirror gives me no issues with Nav. It is always plugged into the driver's power outlet right next to the driver's seat heater switch.

When the Nav freezes - I have to restart the van to make it work again. Plugging out the radar from the power outlet has no effect. The screen is completely frozen. It is frozen even if I'm not using Nav and the screen is set to display the Radio function. It just freezes up with the Radar.

By reboot - I mean the system stops functioning, screen goes blank, the system restarts and gives me the "OK" button to start the Nav. Sometime I just switch off the seat heaters for a while when i notice the black screen and give it a rest. After a while I turn it back on and the thing works. Otherwise, it just kind of "power cycles" to the Nav startup screen.

Some days I drive about 300 miles every day (routinely about 220 - 240 miles a day). So sometimes I use the heaters continually to help with back pain. The heaters aren't always On because its cold. My van is (bought with 19 miles on the clock) is now sitting at 60k in 18 months. It only takes a rest for a couple of hours in the night. Otherwise its always running.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Sounds like your issue is from the radar detector. What happens if you remove it and the power cable from the Ody and use the seat heater? Does the NAVI still reboot?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So no one is having this problem ???
I have observed that after i personally use my Chair Heating units for any very long time, continuously, does not matter if it is on High or Low warmth, my navigation system reboots. First I figured its only a coincidence however I played around with by using it also it does happen. Other people has got the problem? What is the remedy?

I personally use the heater for over half an hour also it happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back from a 3K miles trip. Didn't use the seat heater .......... Navigation/Stereo worked fine all the way - used Radar Detector all the time as well and had no issues with it.

Tried the seat heater on the way home. After 40 mins ..... Nav reboots itself :(

I am clueless. The heater was at low setting (80 degrees outside) and I was just trying to see if the problem happens again. All the electrical systems were in use. Driving Lights, Stereo, Nav, RES and the power outlet in the back. Was using the cigarette lighter for Radar and Phone Charger. So the system was fully loaded.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like voltage issue. You said you changed the battery out a few weeks ago, did you replace it with a quality battery of the same amperage? I know most people don't really think much about the quality of a battery, but those big store batteries (sears die hard not included) can use some really cheap manufacturers for their supply line, overstate amperage and use inferior parts inside. This can definitely cause your voltage to drop with the seat heater going, that thing does suck some current! I would also suspect that it is tied to the same wiring that supplies the nav, which is losing some of its voltage when the heater's on.

I would also have someone check the alternator at this point, it may not be fully charging the system. When your unit does lock up, do you recall if its when you're sitting idle, or at least not above 2,000rpm? If so, then I'd suggest getting the alternator checked first. It is still charging, but I'm willing to bet that its not putting out full power and the seat heater sucks just enough current away from the nav to lock it up.

Keep us posted on your findings!
Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@flyinhawaiian ......... yes the battery was correctly replaced with the same specs as the one installed in the van. The problem was there to begin with. On my first trip to Michigan, I reported the problem at truedelta.com reliability report. At the time, I took the van to the dealer in Nashville, TN and he wanted to keep the car for a couple of days to diagnose the problem. It was my first trip, all family in the van and only the 2nd day. I chose to continue the trip. The van had around 4K miles then. (I think). Now its at 63K. The problem has been consistent only now it has started to happen more often, and I just noticed that it happens with the seat heaters, so caught my attention. I don't have any problems as such but I just wanted to figure out WHY it does that.

I've had 63K happy miles otherwise and would buy the same van again. NO questions asked! (Actually do plan to buy the new one @ 100K, so there).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd still check the alternator, it should be a free check at your local parts store. Have them check the standing voltage output to see if its below 12.5 volts. It should be putting out at least 12.7v at idle with engine running, most likely a bit higher at around 13.2 or so.

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of EMI (electro-mechanical interference) when the heater's on, that's the only other reason for it to lock up ONLY when the seat heater is on.

So now that I'm thinking of this, try this one, tune your radio to a blank AM radio frequency and flip the seat heater on and off. Hear any major change in noise on that frequency? If so, could very well be EMI "jamming" the nav unit into a lock up. Its a long shot, but hell, anything's possible!

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts