Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the utility tray under the instrument panel. Have something stuck behind the tray that it wont close properly. Tried to go from the center pocket but it's all enclosed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took mine to the dealer with a similiar problem.......they said they would need to remove most of the front console area in order to get the tray out......at my cost of course - it would not be covered under warranty.......Honda is the one that made these trays an non-removable......and made it a tray to store items in......you would think that they would have made it so items could not get caught behind it......

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you can figure out how to remove it from that post, can you explain it to me (or post photos)? I was unable to figure out what needed to be compressed in order to remove the tray...even with the pictures provided in that post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lisa,
Try and see Capri's link, it's a detailed instruction with picture as well. I was able to get the things stuck behind....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JP,
if you look under the tray you will see the white tab, that's the stopper for the tray. If you are looking on the tray, you'll see two white tabs on the left and on the right. When you look at the tray from underneath you'll see that the white tab is being held by another tab attached to the main housing of the tray. You have the pry that tab in so that the white tabs will go pass this tab. You have to do this on both left and right side. Sorry i was not able to take a pix when i got it out, so happy to remove the tray and get the stuff from behind. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this post!!! My wallet slipped behind the center tray and I was desperate to get it out!! I think this is a TERRIBLE design flaw. I am just lucky that I heard it clink behind the tray - because it would have been VERY easy for me to forget that I had put it there and think that I had lost my wallet!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used a long flat screwdriver to push out the plastic catch tips on both sides of the drawer. Once i found them it was fairly easy. We had two bank cards back there. Lesson, don't put plastic cards in the drawer. They will slip back there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need help with this, I can't see any white tabs unless i'm supposed to pull apart the whole dashboard just to get a broken cable piece from a cellphone charger. I just want to remove the drawer and get the piece out, not pull apart the whole car. Is there anyway to just remove the drawer. I've poked around with a flat head screw driver and nothing is jarring loose to let the drawer go. I'm suspecting there's a tab around the drawer hitting something to prevent it from fully opening. Any help. I've seen the photos but I'm not seeing anything I'm supposed to click. And I tried to do what jhnybgd said, but I can't see anything, it's too tight between the center area and the front dash drawer for me to stick my head down and see. I can't ask my kids cause they won't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nevermind, I figured out out, guess I should've taken a picture for others to see, but for anyone who was/is in my situation and you're a fairly big guy and wondering how the heck you can see underneath that center/front dashboard tray...look down and on the center/middle dashboard or whatever you call it that sits between the driver and the passenger. There's a plastic lever you should see near the carpet that you pull and the middle section comes up giving you space to drop your head and see. Once I did that I saw the white things, but prying is another story. It's not the white things you're hitting, but two plastic tabs behind just behind them that you're prying open. In fact, I thought I broke one cause I heard a loud snap, but the drawer went back in fine and what not. The whole ordeal is frustrating. For something like the usb portion of a cellphone charger to slip back there means many more objects can slip back there and there truly should just be a lever like the middle section that you can pull and release the drawer to reach back and grab stuff. I know this thread is almost a year old...but thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even after reading the descriptions in the above posts, I struggled to figure out how to remove the "media tray" in my 2011 Honda Odyssey. I finally figured it out. I'm not sure if my description will help or just muddy the waters, but here it goes...

The white thing circled in the photo is a felt pad on the near end of a fixed tab that is a molded part of the media tray. In normal operation, the white pad hits against a flexible black plastic tab to prevent the media tray from coming out. The flexible black plastic tab is part of the plastic housing that includes the rails. There are identical sets of tabs on both the right and left of the media tray. This flexible black plastic tab is nearly impossible to see or photograph, so I've pointed to where it is on the right side. Because of the photo angle (and the only angle I could ever see), the flexible black tab is hidden; however, trust me, it's there.

The key to releasing the stop on the right is to:
1) Pull the tray all the way out until it stops.
2) Insert a small screwdriver straight along the side of the media tray until it hits the white tab (circled in the photo). The purpose of steps 1 & 2 are just to get the screwdriver tip at the correct depth.
3) Lever the screwdriver such that the screwdriver pushes to the right at the screwdriver tip. When done correctly, the force in this direction depresses the flexible black tab. When the right tab is pressed correctly, it flexes to the right, out of the way of the white tab. Even knowing how to do it, this step takes me many tries to repeat the feat.
4) While depressing the flexible black tab, pull on the right side of the tray so the white tab clears the flexible black tab.
5) Repeat to clear the identical stop mechanism on the left side of the tray.
2011 Honda Odyssey Media Tray.JPG

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the picture and description. It helped me understand better. I was able to get the drawer out very quickly after seeing this post. Now I need to figure out if I want to run my apple tv connection to that tray along with the USB cable. I want the apple TV either in that drawer or on the center console so that the remote can be used by those in the middle row.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got it! Just got a 2011 EX-L and the drawer would not close all the way. Followed the above and pulled out a hearing aid battery package. Closes great now!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Big thumbs up on this one. Son's Universal Studios pass stuck behind the drawer and was able to rescue it in just a few tries. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huge thank-you for this thread - like many others, I had something get behind the tray (two pen caps, as it turns out) so I couldn't close it.

Suggestion - you need a fairly small flat-blade screwdriver, but it doesn't need to be particularly long; too long and the handle end is awkward around the console between the seats (assuming you didn't remove it). I used one with about a 4.5" shaft, and that worked well.

Minor clarification - with the drawer fully extended, when you peer into the crack on each side and spot the white felt bits, each black plastic tab that prevents its respective white bit from coming out needs to be pressed *away* from the body of the tray. So on the right side, the tab needs to be pressed to the right, and on the left, pressed to the left, but in either case, pressing away from the tray itself. Each one only needs to move maybe 1/8". Once you understand the construction, it's not difficult - the hard parts are getting your head to the point where you can even see the white parts, and then getting the second side released without re-engaging the catch on the first side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, this was helpful. Successful removal of object that fell behind. The key removing the center console to see the white tabs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have something stacked behind tray that some people called cooler tray or utility tray it’s located on the bottom underneath of drinks holder. The tray that I’m talking about wouldn’t close . Please someone help with pictures or videos . The car is Honda Odyssey 2016

1 - 20 of 20 Posts