Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick questions- I have a 2005 and it's at 106000 miles. Is the valve adjustment necessary? I don't have any odd sounds or clicking from the valves. Just hate to get something done right now, that is not needed. Will the valves begin to tick indicating they need adjustment when the time comes? Also if I wait, can any serious damage be done.

Thanks for any guidance on this,

Mitch

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody able to advise on this? I am dropping the van off on Monday and would like a heads up before the service advisor gets his hands on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Honda recommends a valve adjustment when the timing belt is replaced, at 105K miles.

With that out of the way, there's no categorical answer to your question. However, several owners have reported tight valve clearances. This is more insidious than loose because it makes no noise and can cause burned valves. Apparently, valve clearance tightens because the steel valve seat insert retracts into the aluminum head. (This was not an issue for the cast iron blocks of yesteryear when valve clearances only increased with age.) Each micron of seat travel means a micron less of valve clearance.

I would have the valve clearances checked just to remove it from my bucket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help on this one. Honda's are new to my household and I'm a little lost on some of these issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts